1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Touch Up Paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by KillTaker, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    KillTaker

KillTaker [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCSB
    OEM Roof Rack
    Hello All..
    Tried using the search function for this and didn't see anything..

I have a few small hairline scratches on my new Tacoma (black) and my fingernail catches on them slightly and you can see white. I've read here that these types of scratches are beyond polishing help. Is touch-up paint the way to go? And if so any suggestions on the application process? And yes I'm a NOOB.. Any assistance is appreciated..

2. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got my touchup paint from pep boys. It has a brush for chips, and a "pen" for scratches...works pretty well.

3. Mar 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    As a rule of thumb in polishing, if your fingernail catches the scratch, it's likely too deep to polish out. Plus, our Taco's really don't have much clear on them, so unless you're an experienced polisher, I wouldn't go too crazy polishing it.

I wouldn't recommend touch up paint on a scratch in the clear. It'll look terrible once touched-up. If the scratch is to the metal then touch up is the solution, but since it's white, your scratch is just in the clear.

What you should do is take some polish, and polish the scratch by hand. It'll diminish the appearance of the "white" and smooth it over. The scratch will still be there, but not as visible. -- And it won't look as ugly as touch-up would.

Hope that helps.

4. Mar 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    KillTaker

KillTaker [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    SR5 DCSB
    OEM Roof Rack
    Thanks very much! Definitely a help...

5. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    Calijavier81

Calijavier81 Active Member

Member:
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DblCab TRD Sport 4x4
    Stock
    Has anyone used the fiberglass pencil method? using the 2000 grit sandpaper with the rubbing compound? I read that this would work pretty good, but im skeptical because my truck is black...everything shows on black...so i dont want a shitty "touch up" job, you know. Any advice would be appreciated. FYI, i hit the corner of the door with my rifle when i went to grab my Rockstar while it was slinged..DING! I was out for an early morning hunt, so i didnt even see it until i got home that afternoon..dammit! It wasnt even 36 hours off the lot!

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    I've never heard of "fiberglass Pencil" method... I mean, if you're looking to get rid of a scratch, you have two options, polish (including compound), or sand it out, then polish. It's counter-productive to use both together.

I'd leave the sanding/compounding to the more experienced polishers, as it's easy to burn through the clear on a taco... VERY easy... If you've got a bit of a scratch, you can use a compound, but I'd recommend attacking it by hand, with a microfibre cloth. At least this way you won't burn through, and you can still get rid of enough of the scratch so that it doesn't bother you.

Products Discussed in

To Top