1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tough decision, what do you think?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tmantstud, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    tmantstud

tmantstud [OP] High Mileage Work

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Bed liner, Polk db651s speakers, JVC head unit, Coverking custom saddle blanket seat cover
    College is coming up soon and the question of what to do for transportation has come up. My base 98 2.4 5spd just passed 250,000 miles and needs some suspension and minor engine work to keep it in top shape. The tie rods, control arms, ball joints, and leaf springs would be replaced for the suspension. The timing chain and valve cover gasket would be replaced for the engine. And a few random items such as wiper fluid motor, and the AC system would be returned to working order. With all this work done would the truck be perfectly safe(main worry is from the suspension is worn and the truck gets twitchy at highway speed) to drive 80 miles of 80mph busy highway frequently without worry. Or would it be wiser to get a newer tacoma like an 04 2.7 5spd pre-runner?

2. Feb 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    how much is the 04? how many miles?

3. Feb 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Well you didn't mention your financial situation or what the Tacoma would cost you, so without adding financials to the equation it is obvious you would be better off with the newer tacoma.

4. Feb 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4, V6, 5spd
    Squattin'
    yeah i would go with the 04', cause if you fixed it the trucks still got 250,000 miles on it

5. Feb 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    tmantstud

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Bed liner, Polk db651s speakers, JVC head unit, Coverking custom saddle blanket seat cover
    The current truck would have $4,000 put into it but would then run worry free for a long time. The 04 would have roughly 65,000-90,000 miles for between $10k-12k. My main worry is rather putting money would into the older truck would be worth it? Would the suspension really handle that much more safely?

6. Feb 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    EBBS03

EBBS03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Philadelphia, PA / Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
    Stock
    You can fix up the old one, but the thing with older vehicles is that they usually are a repair a week. Take the $4000 and put it towards a newer truck. You'll be glad you did.

7. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    angela

angela Well-Known Member

Member:
    +1
    a newer truck in your situation would be best

8. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Statesboro, GA
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    i would take the 4k and put it towards a new truck and just drive your old one till it stops

9. Feb 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    scocar

scocar Scouting the perimeter for weakness

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Back to square one after the 2001. So...
    Or...sell it on craigslist. I don't know the market where you live, but out here, I see lots of trucks like yours (and in worse shape) being driven by what I guess I can characterize as self-employed handymen and yard-care workers. My buddy across the street just sold his 92 (I think) 2WD for a grand to one of these guys...you can add that to your "new" truck fund. If you are going to school and are 18, we'll assume you need to make shrewd financial decisions to maximize your budget (have you seen what college text books cost?!?!?:eek:), but reliability in getting to class, meeting deadlines, etc. is very important with those distances. Not too easy to hitch a ride. You won't want to spend time repairing little things all the time rather than studying or breaking down halfway to your final exam...not that a Toyota would ever break down. Just sayin'.

If you could do all that work yourself, I would say do it and save the money until you graduate, then treat yourself. If you can't do it yourself, invest in a better vehicle to get you through school. Oh yeah, and chicks will dig it more...;)

10. Feb 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    tmantstud

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Thanx for all the input guys. It helped sway me the direction I thought sounded most logical. Ill start a light search for a new truck but look more seriously once I graduate high school:D

To Top