1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toughest Trail You've Done With a Stock Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by bozotaco, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Aug 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    bozotaco

bozotaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    Well the titles pretty self explanatory. Toughest trail you've done in a stock Tacoma (ie: no armor or lift)?? And also how was it? Pictures also help.

2. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    bozotaco

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
  3. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    BmanDad

BmanDad Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm interested in this as well... come on folks!

4. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    KEG'sTACO

KEG'sTACO FJ Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    '08 FJ Cruiser
    Leveled, 33" BFG A/Ts, Demello Offroad front flat-top bumper, Demello Offroad rear 3-piece bumper, 17" Liquid Metal Gatlins, Pioneer audio upgrade, custom mounted 10" subwoofer, offroad interior
    my driveway

5. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    JayARRGHH

JayARRGHH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Bellingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    285/75/R16 Eldarado MTZ, Alpine CDE-102 Deck, DIY Snorkel, 2" Spacer Lift, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB, Custom over head console w/ map lights, CB Mount, and external CB speaker, 2 12" Kenwood Subwoofers, 300 Watt Alpine Amp, Alpine 3" lift 500# capacity
    :laugh:

6. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    Stock 04 5 lug, I've done bee canyon near idyllwild ca and riverbed near the same area. I would get pics but I moved. Google bee canyon and you'll get pics

7. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
  8. Aug 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Click on my link of the Mision Santa Maria trip last year... in my signature.

9. Aug 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    Cleghorn, Gorman 4x4 area, some trails out in Sedona AZ

10. Aug 11, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I was stock on our last montana meet. We have a pic thread but I can't link it from my phone... my truck did a LOT better than I planned on it doing

11. Aug 12, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
  12. Aug 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    Anderson Truck Trail in Alpine, CA:

First time taking my truck out alone on a trail I've never been before- my first mistake
    Not knowing when to turn back would be my second mistake

It started out as a simple access road/ fire road so we went on some miles and got to a large ranch. After the ranch came a sign reading, "Road not maintained." The road began to get pretty uneven: first one tire would drop, go back up as we moved forward to feel the other front-side of the vehicle shift down while the rear was lifted by the previous bumps. I would get out at times to check for damage and saw many marks from my diff on the bumps. The bushes grew dense on each side of us. Girlfriend said lets back out, but I said no way! It continued on like this for a while and many times, we got to points where my tires would just spin, but they wouldn't grab enough land to push forward- for some reason backing up a little while twisting the wheel helped in many of these situations so I just tried again and pushed forward and was so happy when we met the downhill sections. Martha would get out to spot me down these sections as they were very deeply rutted. Sometimes there was no best way we just had to go on, myself believing the trail would get easier later, but it only grew harder. The ground began to shape huge dips with gigantic cracks. I would the front set of tires into the ditch-like dip, slowly push til the rear was now inside and would then ease myself out, giving my sidesteps MUCH scrape-age and deformation (but the plastic sliders popped back into place!!) Soon enough we had got down so many rutted and chewed downhill sections that I was afraid to tell Martha, "There is no turning back now." I knew I didn't have a 4x4 so I knew those sections would be almost impossible if we turned back. There had to be an exit up ahead. We pushed on and came to a downhill section where half the narrow road was washed 3 feet down with the other half acting as a half road. Martha said no but I said yes. I collected tons of small rocks and put them in place to fill in as much as I could. I gently eased the front down and then the rear. By the time I was done, the small rocks were scattered, but I made it with minimal scraping to the undercarriage. Soon after the road opened up and became very flat so I just bombed for a couple miles I think, hitting mud for my first time- That real sticky, red Indian clay. We came across a huge mud hole that I didn't want to try after feeling how slippery the mud before was. We ventured on and the trail grew smaller... locked gate with a very small bypass, just big enough for our Tacoma.

By this time, Martha had already understood there was no way back, so she cried. I took her back to the mud hole so she didn't have to stare at the gate, but instead gave her a view of the lake in the distance. I walked down the road passed the gate and what I saw was not nice: The terrain took HUGE, sharp dips. If I were go into these, I would need to be pulled out. So I walked back to the truck to rest an drink some water.

After breaking the news for Martha and holding her as she cried out of fear I couldn't help but feel like an ass hole for dragging her out there with me. So after enough resting and stressing about the hard truth, we turned back. Many of the uphill climbs took a couple tries as I still didn't know my truck very well; I would get so far and start slipping, back down, choose a different line and gun it harder than last time. This seemed to work for most of the inclines until we got to the half broken road again. We must have gave it 5 shots and still no luck. We tried one side, then the other and almost made it till one tire was just completely in the air hanging over the broken ledge and the other tire spinning on the loose gravel. It looked cool as fuck but by this time, we were done with pictures and how "cool" things looked. In fact, in most of the tougher spots, we just didn't take pictures because our focus was on staying safe. I backed it back down again and just sat there for a while not knowing what to do. Bushes, rocks and sticks. They were all around me and so I used them. We started collecting any rocks and limbs we could find. I ventured back and lugged over some gigantic rocks that must have been over 75lbs each. I was beat after a few of them. We placed the bushes on the rocks and more rocks on the bushes and tried to fill in the gaps with small rocks. I tried again, but just started slipping and tossing debris when the back wheels touched. Frustrated, I backed down and put some of the bushes and rocks back into place. It wasn't nearly as well done as the first time. I was done with it and so was she. I asked her to wait up the trail as I didn't want her to get hurt should I overshoot and fly off the hillside or go into a rock. I pretty much just hit the gas and took to the rightmost side, launching my truck at least a couple feet off the ground to feel a harsh bottoming out in the front and rear upon the landing. I made it up at which point I got out to look for damage- none!! I did see though, some very large rocks that were tossed out by my tires about 20 feet behind me. So glad I told Martha to wait ahead and not behind. I walked back and picked up all of the big rocks I could find to put them in my truck for weight and to help my way out up the rest of the climbs. They proved very useful to make the dips easier to cross and helped filled in ruts on the tougher climbs. Again gunning it and careful lines were key in getting us up and out. We again traversed the very uneven ground and dense bushes in our stock Tacoma. Once we hit the ranch, we were so happy to see the angry looking dogs racing towards us. I almost wanted to get out and hug them but I knew they weren't running at me to happily great me so I tossed that idea out the window as quickly as it came. In all, we spent about 5 hours out there. Two hours spent getting into the situation and three spent getting out. Keep in mind I was trying my best not to hurt my truck (didn't care about the slight scratches though,) but kinda said screw it half way out. This was my first time ever doing a real trail- I had never been on a road such as this so it pretty much broke me in with how scared I was and all.

IMG_7979copy_5ca6643c2b03ed875afe4395bd0a4e9fc321c198.jpg

IMG_8053copy_9ca72a20101c4efc27af845dccb6cbf07871f8bf.jpg

IMG_8068copy_6b9deb07a9d094d97ef5a927aca5d8ab411fe80f.jpg

IMG_8065_2646ca3c2192aadcbeeca355d4b78f8fbc13ef60.jpg

IMG_8049copy_eb94495582b6053927dc569d427b4589d563eda0.jpg

IMG_8061copy_49484cd7a2ad8f3b96a3bff568499270eb2ee7a8.jpg

IMG_8063copy_b92f40bc346586739f7eae8562c49cdacfa9b8f2.jpg

IMG_8059copy_348e647704c2fd9cf172f8f9bbc1c73b951e0e74.jpg

IMG_8074copy_e83eaf31f01c678891d7ad0f352a32be664c8bba.jpg

IMG_8067copy_2d0090734f244380bc184d3050c9034e00a54a1b.jpg

I've gone back there recently with my new suspension, new tires, and experience. That broken road looks to have been repaired with sand bags, but a lot of the terrain has become more beaten in some areas but in all is still challenging and fun.

PanzerDivisionBlack likes this.
  13. Aug 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :anonymous:
    [​IMG]
    Toughest trials stock would probably be some trail driving near Jackman, Maine. It wasn't an overly difficult trail and I went til it got to where skids were probably a good idea and decided it was far enough. Unfortunately no pictures though.

14. Aug 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    bozotaco

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma
    Damn dude that sounds like quite the experience. I'm sure the crying girlfriend helped out as well

15. Aug 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Funny... but I just got done doing the 9 mile loop Big Red just posted.

There are about 4 or 5 spots that were brutal in the stock '98... but this truck is friggen bomber as we all know.

Only (hopefully, haven't given it the full monty inspection) sustained a softball sized dent/crunch on the passenger side rocker panel.

I ended up meeting two dudes in rock crawling Jeeps, half way through the loop, and they said "Good luck, you're never gonna make it..."

16. Aug 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    David S

David S Well-Known Member

Member:
    sunny Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ 6MT
    I did the Coney Flatts/Middle St Vrain trail in a completely stock (stock tires and all) 2007 Nissan Xterra (Offroad version/locking rear diff) with less than 500 miles on it. Boy I had NO idea what I was getting into. It took a good 6-8 hours, and I made use of my skid plates for sure. But I made it, no body damage. Oh, and it was raining the entire drive too. Wet rock gardens, stock tires? Yup.

I'd feel much more comfortable doing it in a stock Tacoma (off road....the locking diff is key), because the vitals are all tucked pretty far up past the frame on the underside. The Xterra, not so much. I set the Xterra on one of the stock skid plates at one point, and later on discovered that it crushed in my oil pan. That never would have happened on the Tacoma.

17. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    What time of year did you do it?

They only opened this trail maybe 2 weeks ago. And there was lots of mud in spots. And the Coney Creek crossing was pretty deep. Just above my 31" tires.

I went out this morning to assess if there was more damage... can't see to much as there is dried mud on everything under neath :( But I did notice that I lost my front plate... I don't like littering on trails, but I had no idea. I lost my driver's side front mud flap... was able to retrieve that. And noticed a large dent/crunch on that front skid plate.

I told Ol' Red I'm going to give him a day at the spa: Full wash (including underneath), clay bar, wax and full interior detail. He deserves it after that 6 hour - 9 mile loop.

:D

18. Aug 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Had some problems with mud last spring, had to go through it, got pulled out by off road equiped tacoma.

19. Aug 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Some of these mud stretches I went through were as high as the top of my front license plate.... which now rests somewhere in the mud. :(

20. Aug 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    tjmatsen

tjmatsen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    PA, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma TRD off road
    all pro skid plates, topper
    Ptarmigan Pass to McAllister Gulch near vail pass CO

Products Discussed in