1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tow Hitch for insurance?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by djgynee, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jun 24, 2018 at 1:45 PM
    fatboyfirebass

fatboyfirebass Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blk TRD OR DCSB MT6 Prem/Tech Pkgs
    OV Tuned, S&B Intake, MBRP Dual black Cat-back, accumulator delete, URD SS, 2LM, SSO Hybrid bumper/Warn 10kSynthetic, Custom Car Grille, MESO Ultimate Turn Signal in KTJO Power Folding Mirrors, Genesis Dual Battery, BHLM with LED upgrade, Fog delete, Geko Bed & Underhood lighting, Rear camera anytime, Nav Block Override, 400W anytime w/ interior outlets, USB charging stations, DE-badged, TVD blackout kit, HiLux interior door handles, Hybrid SS/Delrin Shift Knob, Cali-Raised bed Stiffeners, Ultimate Tailgate Seal, "El Dorado" Dual-quad horns, Diamondback HD cover, Mobtown engine/trans skid plates, RCI control arm skids, JLT oil catch can, Meso overhead Hex rack.
    I installed a step style one my first gen the day after I slipped off a wet bumper and smacked both my shins on the way down. I've had one on every truck ever since. I can relate to the WAF, (wife appreciate factor). That's why I back up into the driveway. And thank goodness for the camera. Even so, I have left a few marks and dents on the garage door when the lighting isn't cooperative. It may be time to place some reflective tape at the right height on the garage door to help gauge distance a little better.

2. Jun 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM
    djgynee

djgynee [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Grey Metallic Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Ya I get it. A lot of factors but I’ll take my chances on a hitch hit than a plastic bumper crack. Ugh. You’d be surprised what being rear ended twice in 3 weeks does to your thinking. After my car was totaled I said I’ll stsy in the slow lane from now on. NOBODY gets into a rear end in the slow lane ...as I step out of my new truck. This pic shows the force of impact from the guy that hit my Accord from behind and the force of the impact to my front end as he through me into the car in front of me

F30ACEA9-16AE-44E0-AA19-D608A3224357.jpg 576AD5B4-1041-4D1C-844C-64AE5FE7B766.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Jun 24, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Physics 101:

If you get hit in the rear at 60 mph, nothing you put in your hitch is gonna help.

Anything you put in your receiver is only going to maybe help at super low speed impacts, like maybe backing into something or somebody bumping you on a parking lot or stop light.

How much damage gets transmitted to your truck in a rear end collision depends solely on what hits you. At 10 mph, a CRV might not mess anything up except scratch your hitch mount. However, if a class 8 truck hits you in the ass at 10 mph your little hitch thingy is useless. Physics.

4. Jun 24, 2018 at 1:58 PM
    fatboyfirebass

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OV Tuned, S&B Intake, MBRP Dual black Cat-back, accumulator delete, URD SS, 2LM, SSO Hybrid bumper/Warn 10kSynthetic, Custom Car Grille, MESO Ultimate Turn Signal in KTJO Power Folding Mirrors, Genesis Dual Battery, BHLM with LED upgrade, Fog delete, Geko Bed & Underhood lighting, Rear camera anytime, Nav Block Override, 400W anytime w/ interior outlets, USB charging stations, DE-badged, TVD blackout kit, HiLux interior door handles, Hybrid SS/Delrin Shift Knob, Cali-Raised bed Stiffeners, Ultimate Tailgate Seal, "El Dorado" Dual-quad horns, Diamondback HD cover, Mobtown engine/trans skid plates, RCI control arm skids, JLT oil catch can, Meso overhead Hex rack.
    Yup Rear hitch protects the back of your vehicle. But armor up front is needed to help protect from what you experienced there. I am looking into something that isn't overbearing but does have a certain amount of forward protection. Like the SSO slim line hybrid,. https://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/product-category/Tacoma/
    THey have all kinds of options for with/without LED, winches, access holes, bare or coated, etc.

15034974_234729086940341_8469256490702602240_n-e1516987489130.jpg

djgynee[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:00 PM
    fatboyfirebass

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Obviously this is not an "all protecting no damage ever" scenario. But its better than the factory aluminum cross bar and plastic cover.

djgynee[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:01 PM
    djgynee

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    I get it. I was not trying to pretend that a hitch is a magic bubble. But the frame can “take” more of an impact than a plastic bumper. I’d rather have a scratch hitch than a cracked or scratched bumper from low impacts. Also as stated numerous times buy kind posters it is somewhat of a deterrent to tail gaters.

Also a baseball catcher wears a chest plate to help absorb some impact vs wearing nothing. But that chest plate will do nothing against catching 300lb cannon ball at 200 mph... it’s just simple physics 101 “hiPSI”

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    The-Stig likes this.
  7. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:04 PM
    djgynee

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Obviously this is not an "all protecting no damage ever" scenario. But its better than the factory aluminum cross bar and plastic cover. Fatboyfirebass said it perfect

8. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:05 PM
    djgynee

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    And is that you FBFA? That set up is sweet! Like a modern day polished and shined mad max read off roader!!!

Update never mind. Pic from the site. But that truck is badass

9. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    MillCreek

MillCreek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snohomish County, Washington USA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB AT
    I also have the Beaver hitch step, and it is great to help me reach into the bed from the rear.

10. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:19 PM
    djgynee

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Damn if that does what the video shows. Problem solved! Any luck testing it on a distracted driver

Vbpiper likes this.
  11. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:24 PM
    fatboyfirebass

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm sold. My TGL hitch may soon be up for sale, just as soon as I get one of those Sparebumbers

Vbpiper likes this.
  12. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    djgynee

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    I know right. That backing up into the wall vid... crazy props

13. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Hitches are needed to tow.

There is an impact angle and speed that a hitch will help protect

There are impact angles and speeds a hitch will make things worse. Sometimes much worse.

If I didn't tow or use a bike carrier or bed extender, I'd be unlikely to install one. As I'm 99% pavement and surrounded by texters and tourists.

In many states its illegal to have something in the receiver when not towing. You may or may not care about that. But if you backed into me with that thing sticking out, my attorney would be interested.

As far as front armor, same deal. Gives lots of protection for lots of things. But in some events (bigger than a deer) the frame will have significant damage and likely total the truck.

Crumple zones are engineered for occupant safety, and they have worked pretty well, even since the early '90's. Altering or removing those has potential consequences.

Much of the decision pro/con lies in how the vehicle is used.

Choose and use appropriately.

hiPSI and jerkwithkeyboard like this.
  14. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    syswalla

syswalla Knob

Member:
    5557 ft.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Now if they put a bright light in it that flashes when you apply the brakes it would be perfect.

I've found from riding motorcycles that visibility is key. Unfortunately, with all the self-absorbed fools that think they can play with their phone and drive, I've pretty much stopped riding. This could help if they come in straight. It's the last second dodge that'll still mess up you and your truck. My personal opinion is they need to attack phones and driving much like drinking and driving.

15. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    jerkwithkeyboard

jerkwithkeyboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western suburbs Chicago, ILL
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCSB Inferno 4x4, loaded /JBL/Tonneau Cover/ Roof Rack
    17" Black TRD rims Tacoma Stainless Steel Rear Tailgate Letter Inserts Brake light flasher Center LED 110v and 2-3amp USB plugs mod in back seat center 400w on all the time mod SSR-610-40 SumoSprings 32 INCH 180W CREE LIGHT BAR (5D ) AUXBEAM BedStep and Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock Blue LED glove box light (fix no light) Bed light Blue LED's Wired to turn on when Gate is opened Tempered Glass Center Touch Screen Protector Rear Camera anytime Navigation Bypass ( a must) Rexing V1 3rd Generation Dash Cam hard wired in OXILAM 912 921 LED Reverse Light 2000 Lumens TRD Pro Grill TRD Skid plate
    As said above
    In many states its illegal to have something in the receiver when not towing.
    i know that in some of my nearby towns they pull people over if not towing anything and they don't take "im on my way to get ... bla bla bla "

Thegenerik1 likes this.
  16. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    bradshawnh

bradshawnh ...to the rescue!

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB 6MT, Tech, Inferno
    Yup. Illegal. You can actually be liable for causing additional unwarranted damage if you mangle someone's car unnecessarily in a simple accident.

Plus they rust in there and look like ass in no time. Then you have to worry about someone stealing it, etc.

They teach you a simple trick in motorcycle school. People following too closely? Fearing being rear-ended? Leave more space IN FRONT OF YOU. It gives YOU more time to react and get out of the way if you see them doing something stupid. If you are in the left lane going a few car lengths from the car in front of you, when they stop short, you have to too. Boom accident.

Take the damn hitch out, lazy people.

hiPSI likes this.
  17. Jun 24, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    Exactly what I was going to say. It’s illegal in California to have anything in the receiver when not towing.

hiPSI likes this.
  18. Jun 24, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    M-cameron

M-cameron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    .....everything is illegal in CA.....

remgu2000, Riding Dirty and The-Stig like this.
  19. Jun 24, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    LeftCoastNerd

LeftCoastNerd Old 'nuff to know betta

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    08 AC 4x4 OR 6sp
    I leave a shackle in my hitch when I'm not towing.

[​IMG]

ain't never been bothered for it. I see folks with all kinda massive hitches sticking out, never mind bike racks, etc, never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it.

remgu2000 and The-Stig like this.
  20. Jun 24, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    The-Stig

The-Stig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road / Access Cab / Long Bed
    Cops where I live have much more important things going on than hitches not being used. One of the benefits of living in a high crime area, I guess....

Manfred likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top