1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tow package or not tow package, that is the question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EricT, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Jun 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    EricT

EricT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    Greetings all-

Been shopping around for a new 09 quad cab 4x w/TRD sport package. What I am wondering is, what are my limitations not purchasing with the tow package (oil cooler, better alternator etc etc), and how might that affect resale value later on down the road. Is it even necessary with 260hp on the stock engine setup out of the box? My main uses will be hauling/trailering for short distances, I just don't want to pull the trigger on a new truck I plan on keeping for a long time, and miss out on something I might need later.

Also, if there's a "what did you pay for your ride" thread around here, I would love to see it as I am in the process of making offers.

If any of this has been covered in previous threads my searching didnt turn up, feel free to link me. Thanks! And I hope to have a new truck to post pics of in here sometime soon!!

2. Jun 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I would definitely get the tow package if you are getting 4x4.

If you do have to haul something down the road, you will need to go aftermarket and it will look...aftermarket. That hurts resale.
    I don't haul regularly (don't own a trailer) but I wouldn't even consider your truck if I was buying used.

As for the "what did you pay" threads...they are plentiful around here. FWIW, I paid $27,300 (OTD - PA tax is 6%) for a DC TRDsport with all options except the JBL radio upgrade and bluetooth.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/evecchiola/2009 Tacoma/IMG_4799-1.jpg

3. Jun 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Get the towing package for sure!!

Not only do you get the supplemental oil cooler & better alternator, but a transmission cooler (for Automatics).

When I bought my 07 TRD Sport Access cab w/tow package & Auto(March 07), the MSRP was $29,600. I paid $26,600.

If you're shopping, I'd shoot for invoice price and shop around to different dealerships to get a price war going on between them.

Good Luck!

4. Jun 1, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    EricT

EricT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    Hey, you guys rock. Thanks for the advice.

I pulled up the average price from edmunds and made it a little better for myself. Average w/o tow package in my area is 27416, avg with is 27995. But who wants to be average? Not me! So I offered 27k without, and in the ballpark with the tow package.

You guys got some nice pricing, I hope to do the same. Tax is 8.35% here... ouch. Every dealership I talk to acts like they have so much business they could care less. Also, I'm a costco member, which should help somewhat.

Anyhow thanks again guys. Really hoping I can knock out a good deal in the next week or two.

5. Jun 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Since mine didn't come with the tow package, I figure eventually I will just have a trailer hitch installed... or figure it out myself.

I will miss out on the oil cooler and alternator, but don't have to worry about tranny cooling since mine is manual.

Products Discussed in

To Top