1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tow strap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by ClemsonTacoma, May 25, 2009.

1. May 25, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    just started wheelin whith my buddies again, and have a stock prerunner but they all have beast 4x4's and i am in need of a tow strap. I have some questions, how to buy them- do i just buy the strap? do i need hooks? what lbs rating? any extra info will be a big help

2. May 25, 2009 at 6:20 AM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
    I know I will never need to have a 35,000 lbs one made by Smittybilt but I picked it up at 4Wheelparts the other day for $35.00. I have had the crappy ones you buy from Autozone and wally world, but those break constantly. I decided to spend the extra $10.00 and get something that will last. As far as needing hooks and what not, if you have a ball hitch on the back in your receiver then you are set for recovery from the rear. For the front however, you need to invest in a "d-ring" or two. I have two for my front and they go right onto the loop loop where the current recovery point is. All in all I have spent probably close to $50 for my recovery equipment and that not all that much because when I get stuck, I don't want my strap break and me having to leave my truck somewhere so I can go get a new strap.

Good luck on the search.

3. May 25, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    Straps will have ratings and the widths will vary for those ratings (usually). DO NOT get a tow strap with a hook built in. If the strap breaks, the hook becomes a deadly projectile.

http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods/Misc/Recov_strap/recovery_strap_tech.htm

I highly recommend getting a 'stretch-n-snatch- strap by Keeper - in 3" thickness. The stretch-n-snatch strap will 'stretch' and allow recoil for the recovery. It's easier on the vehicle who's yanking you out.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/KEEPER-STRETCH-N-SNATCH-STRAPS/GP_2004417_N_111+10201+600002398_10101.jcw

You also want to get some d-rings with similar ratings & threaded end pins.
    (as seen here:) You can put this D-ring into the ball mount hole on any draw bar.
    http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods/Misc/Recov_strap/DSC05325Small.JPG

4. May 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
  5. May 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    The whole point of a recovery strap is that it stretches. Don't use a 35,000lb one. You'll never be able to exceed that weight limit to get to the stretching part of the strap, rendering it pretty useless.
    Look into one rated no more than 20klbs.

To Top