1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing 2 horses and Trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by johanneshoogenboom, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    johanneshoogenboom

johanneshoogenboom [OP] Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2005 dbl cab TRD
    Hey All

Alright so I am thinking about buying a Dbl Cab, TRD, 2008, Automatic Tacoma. My fiance and I have horses that we like to take into the mountains on weekends. The Trailer weight is about 3200lbs and the horses together are about 2400lbs. Plus, lets say, 400lbs in gear that can go in the box or trailer.

Firstly is this too much weight for the TRD? Engine, transmission and tow capacity wise?

Next if it isn't, what should I upgrade/get? WD hitch? new springs/leafs in the back? bigger brakes? mod chips? supercharger? life insurance?

Finally, I am pretty sure that I want trailer brakes on this thing, how easy is the 2nd Gen Tacoma to rig up for trailer brakes?

Thanks all
    -Marc

2. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Isn't the tow limit onthat like 6500? if so you are pretty much there, you may need to look into something bigger. Something like the Tundra with the supercharger :D

3. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    Bambigular

Bambigular Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab SR5
    I won't try, your going to tow the max of what the truck is rated for and going up hill to the mountains. It will tow the trailer but not very good and adding all the extra stress on the motor and tranny is not wise but do what you must.

4. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...If you are going to be moving that much around REGULARLY you are very nearly at the max weight for towing and nearly at the GVWR too. With the towing package-6500lbs is the max.
    I'd look for something bigger....No sense in spending the money for a truck and then having to mod the hell out of it to do what you want with it.

For that much trailer-brakes and a WD hitch are a great idea. And a tow brake controller set up is easily wired up for the Taco.

Good luck figuring out what you want.

5. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    muliefever

muliefever Muliefever

Member:
    Tillamook, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    14' DCSB TRD
    5100's, 887', CB, 265's, FM Deltaflow
    Damn what kind of trailer do you have?

I tow a three horse slant featherlite with two horses and all our gear all the time. I weighed the loaded trailer on the local scale, came in just under 5000 lbs...
    I have no problems. I am not in a hurry though!

6. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    johanneshoogenboom

johanneshoogenboom [OP] Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2005 dbl cab TRD
    Well that was the first 2 horse trailer I saw when I was looking them up on the internets. I'm sure i could find a lighter one, but just spit balling thats all. I assume you're towing/hauling feed and tack as well. What kind of tranny do you have?

And while most of the time I am in hurry, when its comes to her horses I don't think my fiance would let drive in my usual "holy wood chase scene" mode, so speeds should be normal:)

Thanks for your reply

7. Mar 6, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    jonl9

jonl9 Jonl9

Member:
    Eastern North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, Xtra cab, towing package
    First, if you buy a new Tacoma, be sure to get the towing option, THAT gives you the 6500 pound towing limit. You get the carrier, trans oil cooler, engine oil cooler and heavy duty alternator and battery. You also get all the wiring to the connector for the trailer and adding a brake controller is usually a simple plug into the truck with an adaptor that will come with the Tacoma.

Most rv boards will recommend that you keep your towed weight at or less than 80% of the recommended tow limit. You can do more, but it could be a frustrating tow.

By all means consider a weight distribution hitch and a sway control of some kind for that kind of load.

Good luck,

Jon

8. Mar 6, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    muliefever

muliefever Muliefever

Member:
    Tillamook, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    14' DCSB TRD
    5100's, 887', CB, 265's, FM Deltaflow
    I have a 16' trailer. It is about 1800lbs. Just get a AAL for the rear and you'll be fine. I have the automatic. If you were spending alot of your time hauling in the Mountains, I would get a bigger truck. It can be done. just don't rush it!

9. Mar 9, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    05silverTaco

05silverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport
    Dodge Mirrors, Fog light switch, Always on Fog lights, Firestone Air Bags

Marc

A tacoma will handle it just take it slow as you know towing live animals will slow you down some anyway. Get a good W/D hitch and brake controller.
    I had a F350 4dr 4wd dually that I towed a 5 horse with 5 in it regularly.
    Going up grades will be slower than if your only towing a TT but not too bad.

vince

10. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    gallopping girl

gallopping girl New Member

Member:
    arroyo grande CA
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    If you like your truck i wouldnt use it for towing that much weight. Its the upper limit! Better to buy a lightweight trailer, like a Brenderup, which weighs 1500lbs. Normal level street towing is ok but going uphills will wear the truck.

11. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    Yep, what everyone else said. You will be better off with a full size pickup. It would also be alot safer when towing.

12. Jan 20, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    So, you want to buy someone else's used Toyota to tow a lot of weight.
    Why don't you buy a Dodge? it is cheaper.

13. Jan 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    This thread was started in 2009 :facepalm:

14. Jan 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    I pull 2 different 12 foot cargo trailers. I have a TRD Off Road, automatic.

I only pull a few days of the year. If I had to use it more and loaded, to it's max; I would get a Tundra, if I stayed in the Toyota family.

Two horses, plus your gear, and your trailer; just about puts you at the max gvw.

Why take a chance, with your horses; to be right at the max for the Tacoma.

I would err on the side of safety; you are right at the point of being too heavy.

A lot of people think, that if you can pull it it is fine; those people never towed anything heavy. We move heavy machinery; but not with a Tacoma. Stopping and handling are the important factors.

oldracer

Products Discussed in

To Top