1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a 3400lbs. boat plus trailer?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by tjames, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Aug 8, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    tjames

tjames [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 TRD
    It sounds like there are some Tacoma experts as well as some towing experts here and I probably have a very easy question. I am embarressed to say I know little about my Tacoma ( or cars in general ) as I bought it lightly used and I need to know if it can tow a boat I am looking to purchase. Here is what I know I have :

2005 Toyota Tacoma, V6, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, 4x4, Double Cab. It has TRD on the side so I suppose it has what extras the TRD package come with. I know it has some extra rear suspension or something and the floor mats to match. It has a front skid plate and rear skid plates too.

As for towing, has a Class III reciever hitch and what I take to be a 7-pin wire adapter ( it is big and round. ). I am used to the 4 wire, flat connectors.

I need to know if I can tow a ( dry weight ) 3400lbs. boat plus the weight of the trailer. The trailer has surge brakes and a 4 wire, flat connector for the lights.

I got the adapter to go from 7 pin ( or whatever it is ) to 4 wire from the dealer.

Someone told me I have the power ( as I believe the rating is 6500lbs. ), but the manual trasmission might be an issue.

So, do anyone think it can be done. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. Thank you.

2. Aug 8, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welocme to TW!

You should be fine towing your boat. To be extra sure, take it to a weigh station, and throw it on a scale. Weigh it with fuel, and gear too, so you have an idea of its max weight.

3. Aug 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    mwild

mwild I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vernon, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 2500 Dodge Ram
    Cat-Back, weather techs, ipod and sisuis Old 04 Taco: 5100s At all 4 corners set at 2.5", Toyotec AAL, Gibson cat-back, Deck plate mod, 20% Tint on fronts, 10" Kicker Comp sub, Sirius radio, Bud Built Skid, Pro Comp 8069 Wheels
    Yes you can tow 3400lbs. Just becareful if you have never towed before. Just always remeber that it take longer to stop and you will be fine.

4. Aug 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    (Traded-in) 06 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4
    K&N Intake, Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars/sliders/running boards, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Running Board/Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box (12V socket, voltage and current gauges), DIY Internal Lighting (coming soon), Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I'm not sure the manual will be a problem, just don't ride the clutch too much to get it rolling...it'll heat up and/or wear out the clutch. Matter of fact, a manual may be better than an automatic because you don't have to worry about transmission coolers...just make sure you check your transimission fluid level before the tow and at the manufacturer recommended intervals.

FYI: I hauled ~3700 lbs (combined bed and towed load) in my 4-cyl manual without any problems.

5. Aug 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    tjames

tjames [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 TRD
    Awesome. So the manual transmission is not an issue. It will do as recommended and weight it fueled and loaded. I have towed a 1000lbs. Jet Ski plus its trailer weight so I have towed before, but I understand this is totally different. Thanks so much for your answers.

Anyone else please feel free to chime in. Thank you.

To Top