1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a 5X8 UHaul trailer 1600 miles

Discussion in 'Towing' started by alongtheway1, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Jun 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    alongtheway1

alongtheway1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tuscaloosa
    Vehicle:
    01 Double Cab 4x4
    Custom Front Bumper UWS toolbox Bilstein 5125 on rear
    I have a 2001 DC 4x4 with flat leaf springs in the back, I will be moving from Tuscaloosa to Tempe, AZ at the end of next month and I am planning on pulling a trailer. I wont have much in the way of heavy stuff in the trailer, about 700 LP's 600 cd's, a chair, books, one metal shelf, clothes, stereo reciever, turntable no bed or other furniture to speak of. I am not sure of the weight of the trailer, but it seems that it will be safe for me to pull with flat leaf springs. What do you guys think?

2. Jun 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I would check into an add a leaf if it were me.

3. Jun 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    HiddenW

HiddenW Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 taco
    Air bags for towing.Fold A Cover
    You shouldn't have any problem with that setup. Don't forget to balance it out with heavy things in the nose so you don't get any swaying from the trailer. I pulled a 5x10 from Reno, NV to Allentown, PA and then back again two years later with a stock '99 taco with a four banger, trailer and bed of truck fully loaded.

4. Jun 26, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Weigh the truck and trailer fully loaded to make sure you are not over your GVWR and GCVWR. Anything over 1000lbs and you need a brake controller for the trailer (unless the trailer has surge brakes)
    Take it easy... Stopping fast is nowhere in your future;)

5. Jun 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I forgot to add, make sure you're not over your individual axle weight limits too.
    Short distance overloads are somewhat ok. Long distance overloads are an invitation to disaster.
    Happy towing!

6. Jun 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    when i moved to cali..i rented a larger Penske box truck, and a trailer. i towed my truck. i had very little belongings. it just felt safer that way.

hey, you have no furniture? buy a small trailer! use it and then sell it once you get to AZ. i had a friend do just that. he bought a used BIGTEX 6-foot long trailer. he moved, and sold the trailer for the same money..it sold fast!

7. Jun 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Good idea! Unfortunately, for me, I can't ever seem to sell a tool/toy once I acquire it:)

To Top