1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a 6x12 U-Haul Trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by arthur106, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Jan 23, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    arthur106

arthur106 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Black '10 SR5 4WD 5MT
    I have a 21 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6MT and I'm wanting to tow a 6x12 uhaul trailer. I've never towed before and am wondering how this is going to work. I read in the owners manual that any load over 2,000 lbs needs some sort of sway control. The uhaul website says that all trailers "are wired with a 4-way flat light connector" but doesn't mention anything about having trailer brakes. My understanding is that my tacoma comes with "trailer sway control" but I'm not sure how this works? Does it use the brakes on the trailer to correct swaying motion? Will it work with a 4-pin connector on a uhaul?

2. Jan 23, 2021 at 7:36 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Trailer sway control refers to a sway control hitch. If you need one U Haul will set it up. I think that is the least of your concerns. What are you going to haul in the 6x12 trailer? Do you know the approximate weight total of the things you will be towing? Where are you towing from and too? How many miles? You being a towing newbie we need this information to advise you. Theres a lot to be concerned with being new to towing. Give a little more info. And we’ll try to help you out.
    I pretty sure your model truck comes with a tow package so you are good there. At least I think it does, please confirm you have the tow package.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. Jan 23, 2021 at 9:16 PM
    arthur106

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Black '10 SR5 4WD 5MT
    I'll be transporting the contents of a 10x5 storage unit from Memphis, TN to Houston, TX with a stop in Weatherford, TX--710 miles mostly interstate. I'm not exactly sure of the weight, but it'll be the trailer, a washer and dryer, a full bed, a sofa, and ~200 lbs. of other stuff, so call it about 2,500 lbs total.
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "tow package", but my truck does come with "towing-receiver hitch, eng oil cooler, pwr steering cooler, 130 amp alternator, 4/7 pin connector, & trailer sway cntrl" so I would ASSUME that this counts...but you know what they say about assuming...

4. Jan 24, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    What you describe is the tow package. Having that means your max tow capacity is almost double that of no tow package. The trailer and total weight you are towing won’t be a problem for the truck.
    That’s a long way to tow for your first time towing. Safety is your main concern. A couple words of advice. Drive a little slower than normal. Leave extra room between you and the car in front of you. Whether you have trailer brakes or not it takes longer to stop when towing.If you have to swerve for something on the highway the trailer will start swerving back and forth. This is dangerous and causes many a bad accident. The higher the speed the worse the swaying. People have a tendency to over steer to correct it when this happens. The two main points are drive slower and cautiously and try not to get in a situation where you have to swerve or make a sudden panic stop. Driving that distance in the winter in wintery conditions makes everything worse.
    Here’s an alternative I always suggest to everyone in your situation rather than towing a trailer. Look into using moving pods. They deliver what ever size moving pod to your house you want. You load it and then they pick it up and deliver it to your destination. If you want they can delay the delivery. You unload it at the new address and they then pick up the pod. Easy peasy. You can then enjoy the drive to Texas. Keep in mind when looking at and comparing costs that you have to pay for the trailer and your gas mileage will be about 11 miles per gallon while towing.

Charlie Bravo and clubfed11 like this.
  5. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    Under 3000lbs you will be fine with just the hitch no brake controller or sway hitch needed.

6. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:03 AM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    I think you can tow that safely no problem. Just take it slow, and leave lots of room. If you keep your foot out of it on acceleration, decent fuel mileage is achievable.

For loading, make sure to load roughly 10-15% of the weight in the front of the trailer (err on the heavy side if you're unsure) to get the correct tongue weight to prevent swaying. Once you get it loaded, go for a test drive and make sure you're comfortable with it.

Lastly, uhaul trailers are built like brick shithouses and they tow like it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  7. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    The 4 pin trailer connector does not support trailer brakes. The U-Haul trailer DOES NOT have brakes.

Be aware. Your STOPPING distance WILL be longer. Allow at least 3-4 car lengths in front of you.

Do not exceed the speed limits.

8. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    0xDEADBEEF

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The 6x12's have surge brakes.

Heyyo_Friday and mikekoot like this.
  9. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, I don't trust surge brakes. Big assumption the surge system is functional.

Yes, you are correct. I was referring to electric brakes.

10. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    0xDEADBEEF

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thats fair. I've rented multiple 6x12's and the surge brakes are generally okay, but they for sure aren't as good as electric brakes can be.

mikekoot likes this.
  11. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:26 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    You have the tow package so you have a 7 pin connector.

12. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:28 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    He has the 7 pin.....the trailer has the 4 pin.........

He will need the 7 to 4 pin adapter.

13. Jan 24, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    01 dhrracer

01 dhrracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes
    Vehicle:
    Still Shopping
    You did not state weather you are planning on using the open or enclosed 6x12. Either way both are equipped with what are referred to as surge brakes. It is a device built into the tongue of the trailer. When the trailer/tongue forward momentum is greater than that of the vehicle it will apply the trailer brakes. You will not have any direct control. Things you will notice: If your braking is sudden or even just firm you will feel the trailer give you a little bump/push. This is do to a time delay of the trailer reacting. The best is to use your brakes as smooth as possible. As mentioned before that you need to load heaviest items to the front of trailer. If you do not have enough weight (in a percentage of total weight) this is what will cause the trailer to wonder/sway behind you. You may want to rent the trailer a day two before you need it. Then do some driving around your local area with the trailer empty to get familiar with the feel and space you need for lane changes etc. One other note: Legally your entire outside mirror is supposed to be wider than the trailer. I would not worry if the wheels extened past mirrors. Another tip when trailer attached to vehicle parked in a straight line have a person stand at the rear corners of trailer to help you ensure you can judge where the back corners are. Your mirrors can make it difficult to judge that distance. Always give yourself extra space both in front and behind you. Be very conscious of you ability to back up and the need to avoid the need to do so. As well as how much the trailer wheels will track inside that of the vehicles. Think refueling! Stopping for food! If need be use a spotter.

Racerx159 likes this.
  14. Jan 24, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    Skidog1

Skidog1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD 4x4 Sport DCLB
    Keep the heavy items packed as low as possible and weight centered side to side. This helps control while being passed by larger trucks and in crosswinds.

15. Jan 24, 2021 at 5:08 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Uhaul trailers are heavy take that into account. Surge breaks are not real good at slower speeds you really have go to slam them.

16. Jan 24, 2021 at 5:19 PM
    arthur106

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Black '10 SR5 4WD 5MT
    Thanks everyone, great advice. I'm glad y'all explained how the surge brakes work--I was wondering about that. I found some good information that explains how the Tacoma's built in "Trailer Sway Control" works--it uses computer controlled asymmetrical braking on the truck to cancel the sway of the truck while slowing it down (but doesn't send any signal to the trailer's brakes).
    I'll take it easy, slow it down, and leave plenty of distance. My education is in mechanical engineering with a focus in dynamic system controls so I have a pretty darned good understanding of how trailer dynamic stability is affected by weight distribution, speed, etc. but the vast majority of my driving experience has been in tiny hot rods--this is my very first pickup. I'm an airline pilot so my ego would like to think that qualifies me to drive anything :plane:...but the rest of my brain know that line of thinking just makes me dangerous :bikewhoops:

Racerx159 and Taco 422 like this.
  17. Jan 24, 2021 at 7:24 PM
    01 dhrracer

01 dhrracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes
    Vehicle:
    Still Shopping
    From Uhaul's web site. Fetures:
    • Lowest deck
    • Softest ride
    • Padded rub rails
    • Automatic hydraulic surge brake

18. Jan 24, 2021 at 8:50 PM
    shift957

shift957 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cacapon River, WV
    Vehicle:
    11 AC OR
    Lots of great info in this thread. Something not mentioned is tire pressure. Running normal tire pressures while towing heavy weights means you may feel the trailer pushing you around a bit. That's the sidewalls of the tire flexing laterally and it gives you a spongy ride feeling. Adding pressure helps reduce this and makes it easier to keep your truck tracking straight. It's not a bad idea to know your tire's max psi.

arthur106[OP] likes this.
  19. Jan 30, 2021 at 9:30 AM
    Caveman Chuck

Caveman Chuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCLB
    The OP has a 2021 TRD OR. I have a 2020 model. I have both a four-pin and a seven-pin plug. He probably has the same setup.

20210130_092155.jpg

20. Jan 30, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    FlamingTacoBro

FlamingTacoBro Taco Junkie

Member:
    So CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 2wd DCSB Pyrite Mica
    also, keep it around 55 mph max (that's the law in CA when towing a trailer) and stay in the right lane so others can safely pass you......slow and steady wins the race......good luck and you'll be fine!

Racerx159, Taco 422 and specter208 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top