1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

towing a semi...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by callahansd, May 23, 2012.

1. May 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Boone.......that's about 1 1/2hrs from me

2. May 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Just curious, do you know the details of how the tow driver went about this? I'm curious if they got inside and started the rig to air up the brakes, or crawled under and backed off all the slack adjusters to get the thing to roll.

Obviously the driver was nowhere near when this happened, or there would have been a scene. Had to have taken some time to do.

3. May 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    no idea saw a cement truck get flipped back over and they towed it with a flat rear tire and no air in the brake system

4. May 24, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    All tandem trucks ( newer than than the '70s anyway) have an interaxle lock, also known as a power divider lock. Whether it works or not is another story. Up here double diff locks is now pretty standard even for highway trucks, rear locker as a minimum. 10 years ago, not so much. And it is actually a very cheap option, as the axle is designed around a locker, rather than an add on like a ARB etc. Aftermarket detriot lockers are available too, but run about 1500 IIRC. Its been a few years since I installed one.

Cranking the two left drive slacks tight would have probably got that T600 moving easier than the tugging from the taco, but hey, it works. It is possible to bomb start a loaded tractor trailer with a late '80s S10 2.8L 2wd 5spd, one of the guys at my old shop did it when all else failed on a service call. Nevermind drive it like you stole it, drive it like a company vehicle.:rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top