1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Airstreams Sport 22FB

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ToySR5, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Jun 25, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    NV_Spencer

NV_Spencer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CREWMAX / 2017 OR DCSB
    Curious, which one do you have? I'm trying to decide between 16' or 19' Bambi.

2. Jun 25, 2020 at 9:49 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    I have the Caravel 22'

RushT likes this.
  3. Jun 26, 2020 at 4:50 AM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Are you towing it with the taco? That’s one that’s on my maybe list.

<edit>. Saw that you are. In general, are you happy with the towing performance and are you getting over 12 mpg?

4. Jun 26, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    I primarily tow it with my Tundra if I'm taking the wife and our four dogs, BUT I have towed it with the Tacoma on a few trips and it does fine. Loaded with water, two propane tanks and gear it comes it at just under 5,000 lbs and the Tacoma handles it well. Any other 5k trailer and it might not do as well but the Airstream tows so nice and offers very little wind resistance and other than high elevation passes, keeping speed is also not a problem.

5. Jun 26, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    RushT

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Spectacular! We’re likely to buy something in the next year or two, and I’ve been debating what to get. Wifey has the new full size Disco, so I have a backup plan. That’s a supercharged 3.0, but rated at 8.5k lbs I think. Other backup plan is ‘oh honey.... we can take yours or I can buy these turbo thingies’.

Slick Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 1, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    I looked for over a year for a deal. I’m frugal! I paid $16,300 last year. Sold it last week for $17500 because all our National Park reservations which took like a year to get were cancelled due to COVID. Had scheduled a cross country trip but trailer was sitting in garage. I don’t do “sitting money”.

7. Jul 2, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    Buy it if you want it. 3600lbs dry 22' trailer the Taco will be adequate. Upgraded rear suspension will be necessary IMO.

In the Rockies you'll be in 2nd gear near redline sometimes trying to pass the slowest 18-wheelers on the steep grades. You have to keep the revs up and plan ahead so you don't lose momentum.

8. Jul 2, 2020 at 7:50 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    I’m sorry man. At least you made some money. I’m with you too. I also hate when things just sit.

9. Jul 3, 2020 at 7:58 AM
    03toyfan

03toyfan Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Georgia Mountains
    Vehicle:
    03 and 05 4 dr 4x4 v6 SR5
    ranch brand topper color matched ,nfab light bar on bumper spectra drop in air filter hella 500 black majic driving lights,general grabber at2 tires.
    I’ve got a 2008 cruiser fun finder 19ft with a dry weight around 3000lbs but it has a pretty flat nose and catches lots of Wind hold back on my 05 Tacoma v6 dbl with auto trans. I’m not impressed with the setup and am planning to add a tundra to the collection soon hopefully.

10. Oct 19, 2020 at 8:22 PM
    DJFRENZY

DJFRENZY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Late reply, but thought I'd share that I've towed my Airstream Sport 22 FB from Bay Area California to National Parks like (Capitol Reef, Bryce, Canyonlands, Archies, and Zion) and Monument Valley. It works, but I highly recommend the towing package, an add a leaf (overload left in) or a leaf pack to avoid sag. I have an add a leaf and it works fine and plan to upgrade later. I have not have any over heating. Highest grade I've come across based on signs were 11% and elevations at 8300 u elevation.

If one were to choose a Tundra over a Tacoma for towing somewhere around 4K, I'd say that's the better option overall. I just didn't get the Tundra because it wouldn't fit in my garage. Maybe in the future. However, my Tacoma does fine. I enjoy seeing other Tacos tow. Towing is not a race. Safety first.

On a side note. The Sport 22 FB is the narrowest trailer in the Bambi line. The new Caravel line up is even heavier. I previously had the Sport 16 RB and it was a better towing experience because it was lighter. The new models out there now are slightly wider where you'll need to get towing mirrors.

TacoManOne and brtnstrns like this.
  11. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    brtnstrns

brtnstrns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRDOR DCSB
    Do you not use a weight distribution hitch?

Obviously it has its own caveats vs a stronger leaf pack, but having the detriments be temporary may be better than the detriments of a stiffer unloaded rear all the other time.

Full disclosure: I use a WDH with my stock setup and will also use it when I put in my new Dobinson leaf pack. Was just curious.

DJFRENZY[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:57 AM
    DJFRENZY

DJFRENZY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes I do. I use an Equalizer WDH. It definitely helps.

brtnstrns[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Oct 20, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    brtnstrns

brtnstrns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRDOR DCSB
    Right on.

We've got an Escape 19 due in March 2021 (assuming we are able to sell our NoBo before then) and it's only marginally smaller than yours (but it's also dual axle). Really curious to see how it tows relative to our NoBo 16.5 since it should be a bit more aerodynamic, but not as aerodynamic as your Airstream.

Once I'm in S4 with ECT, I really have no huge qualms about towing with the 3rd gen Tacoma. Granted, I haven't done any real mountain passes but definitely get a little elevation change being in Washington State. As long as you're okay with winding the engine up a bit every once in a while, it's really fine power-wise and even braking-wise with the trailer brakes doing their job.

I don't get any random gear hunting and after a little bit of experience, you know when the truck is going to want to downshift. So once I'm at the point where it's obvious I've used up all of my momentum on a climb, I just manually change it to 3rd gear until I crest the hill and while in 3rd gear the truck pulls as well as a V8; you're just at 3500-4000 RPM, but whatever.

Also yeah, going into the trip setting your expectations for 10mpg and planning fill-ups once you're at 1/4 tank of gas, it really isn't as dramatic as people make it out to be.

DJFRENZY[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 20, 2020 at 12:46 PM
    RushT

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Yep. I’ve found 3rd gear to be a mini-beast when pulling hills at 4K+ rpm.

TacoManOne and brtnstrns[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Oct 20, 2020 at 2:29 PM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
    the OVTune really helps too. I pull a Grand Design 17MKE.

brtnstrns[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Oct 20, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    Nyneuro

Nyneuro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma
    none
    Dont understand the get a 3/4 ton comment. Going to be driving and vacationing a bit in the mountains. Ok. He will be slow for a few days or weeks. Thats not worth 30k more truck. Doong it daily. Ok. Thats a different story.

TacoManOne and RushT like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top