1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

towing bike and trailer help

Discussion in 'Towing' started by adamstoy, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    adamstoy

adamstoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    Manchester NH
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAP PRERUNNER
    2.5 inch spacer, black headlight mod, tonnou cover,chrome bull bar and step bars motometal 958 chrome w/ cooper zeon ltz 285/60R18 TRD OR suspension angle eye projectors with hid 6k's
    In the next few weeks my plan is to put the 600 pound motorcycle in the bed of my truck and tow a 6x12 u-haul trailer loaded to max. I have the tsb and will put the stock 245 r16 tires on the truck but with the added weight of the bike and trailer should i get airbags installed so i don't sag like a mother for the 1100 mile trip? I can get bags for around $225 and install myself. I don't wanna load it down and then be f**ked. please help me on this its a 2009 dbl cab prerunner i don't wanna install a new tranny and rear end yet

2. Oct 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008, Black sand pearl, SR5, 4X4
    PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with Hella Black Magics, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.
    I'm not sure what you are asking so I will shotgun)
    Do you have the tow package? No? install tranny cooler. Yes? don't worry about it.
    As long as your GCWR (truck+trailer) are under 11100lbs and your GVRW (truck weight with trailer hooked up) is under 5450lbs you should be good to go. Air bags will definitely make life nicer I would recommend them. Don't expect to get good milage when you see a sign that says no services for 'X' # of miles get gas. I can't imagine your tranny or rear end blowing up. Stay within the speed limit.

3. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    adamstoy

adamstoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    Manchester NH
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAP PRERUNNER
    2.5 inch spacer, black headlight mod, tonnou cover,chrome bull bar and step bars motometal 958 chrome w/ cooper zeon ltz 285/60R18 TRD OR suspension angle eye projectors with hid 6k's
    okay, how much sagg is there gonna be? like go over a pothole or speedbump and bottom out?

4. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    NicP

NicP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB
    3" Icon CO Icon Rez and AAL ProComp 7089 BFG 285 AT KO
    I did a long haul with a 99, AC TRD Offroad with Factory Tow pack.with 31x10.50 BFG AT KO from Colorado to Rochesater NY and back again 2 years later,with a loaded bed with fibreglass shell and towing a 16' Uhaul (I think they discontinued this size and I had to lie that I had a Tundra and not a Tacoma, You have to remember max tow cap. on that was around 45oo). The Trailer was a dual axle and had mech braking (fun backing up...not!!).

I was about 2" from bump stops. Highway speeds over 65 started getting squirrely. Hitting dips and pot holes really sketchy. Leafs were really reverse bent after those trips.
    I actually think the 2nd gens leaf set up (evan after TSB )are softer than the 1st gen I had. (I have personal experience I now have 05 2nd gen and tow/ed my single axle 6x12 enclosed trailer pre TSB /post TSB and now with ICON stage 2 setup at 2.75" AAL) .

I didn't care much about the 1st gen but love my 2nd gen and would definately airbag if I were you (I would evan do it only as a temporary thing if I was going x-country). Simply for the safety and ride security. And bcause I love the 2nd gen I wouldn't want to blow my leafs. The whole 1300 miles of driving that rig I was sweating a little. ( If you don't mind doing it maybe you want to put the bike in trailer and lighter stuff in the truck bed). I dont think your tranny and rear will have a big problem but the suspension will be sketchy and lead to unstable/UNSAFE ride.

Hope info helped.

5. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    rwcfrank

rwcfrank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    I am thinking your going to need bags. I installed them on mine. I got them through JC Whitney with a $50 off coupon and free shipping. They take about 2 hours max to install and work very well.

6. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    rwcfrank

rwcfrank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    Almost forgot, be sure to distribute the load in the trailer per manufactures spec's front to rear.

7. Oct 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    roadrashchic

roadrashchic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black TRD Sport double cab
    Soon to come: Icon mid travel
    my tacoma pulled/towed that shit day in and day out...

I always have 2 bikes in the back, and towed a MASSIVE trailer with 2 bikes in that as well.

but I always have a 6" lift and Air Ride in the rear...

but I dont think you would have any problems at all with a stock setup... only problem would be coming out of a gas station (I did this.. and the hitch bottomed out (it was pretty steep..) and the trailer actually came unhooked..

other than that, I've never had a problem and the taco didn't seem to struggle at all. Just have to have extra time to brake... caaaaaause that was scary ... hahaha.

8. Oct 6, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    oh.. my truck is a 2005 Trd 4x4.. extended cab.

oh... and... my tail gate is bent to shit because of the bikes/headers... from loading and unloading.

9. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    OP, you can help yourself tremendously just by paying attention to how you load the trailer. Put at least 60% of the weight in front of the axles and make sure the hitch you have has the correct drop so the trailer tows level. Also, I'm sure you've thought about this, but make sure you can close your tailgate with the bike in there. The Uhaul surge brake set-up sticks up quite a ways off the tongue and it would suck to wreck your tailgate on a little dip in the road. Otherwise, take it easy, keep your foot out of the gas and your transmission and rear end will not be harmed. Air bags will make it sag less but if you load everything properly it shouldn't be too bad.

10. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    Seener84

Seener84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB SR5 4x4
    Leer 100R
    I will be doing something similar. I am moving 1600 miles at the end of the month and am trying to get around having to rent a Uhaul box truck. I was looking to buy a 14'x7' enclosed trailer, put the harley in it with everything else and then lighter stuff in the bed inside the fiberglass topper. I dont have the tsb done; trying to get it done this next week... A little nervous that after I load it all up and take off it will be like oh crap, this isnt gonna work...

11. Oct 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    I only haul sport bikes... harleys are definitely longer. I can't close the tail gate even with my sport bikes... only way I can.. is if I have one bike and I load it sideways...
    I'm pretty sure I towed the equivalency of all this before I put the lift, air-ride, and tires on it..

i think you'll be alright without getting air bags..

I use to tow all of that shit in my lil GMC canyon... two bikes in the back and a Uhaul and moved from NM to TX... that was a 1300 mile drive I believe... only thing that sucked was at night people thought my brights were on, and kept flashing me... lol cause all the weight in the back.

To Top