1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Help For A Move

Discussion in 'Towing' started by icallhertaco11, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Nov 22, 2016 at 4:29 PM
    icallhertaco11

icallhertaco11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner v6
    Engage Long Travel 6 over with race spindles. 2.5x8 sway a ways wrapped in King Coils.
    Hey guys! It's been a Loooonngg time since I've been signed in. Miss it somewhat haha. Just looking for some help. I have read the big towing thread which helped a lot but still have some questions. I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 2WD V6.

I am going to be moving to Texas within the next few months. I was planning on towing my Girlfriends car which is a 2007 Toyota Camry which has curb weight of 3263lbs. From what I have read my truck can tow 6500lbs. I will be using a U-haul dolly that weighs 750lbs. The car will have about 200 pounds of extra weight from some small items (bags, t.v, dishes). The truck will have no more than 500 pounds of load in it (including my girlfriend and I). I have the tow package on my truck but not exactly sure the extent of it, all I know I have is the hitch. Not sure on tranny cooler and all the other goodies.

First question, I realize I'll be under MAX tow weight but do you think driving from Long Beach to Texas will be okay? As far as engine, tranny, and truck as a whole?
    Would it be ideal to buy a tranny cooler? It's just a one way trip. I have 33 inch tires on it as well if that helps. But just wanted some other answers or suggestions from you guys who tow or know some stuff.
    I'm 20, so wanted to get some advice from people with expierience and this is a big step moving for my girl and I. So I'm excited but also worried about getting everything done.

I appreciate the help and love this site so any help will go a long way.

Thanks guys,
    Jamie

2. Nov 27, 2016 at 7:03 AM
    Andreas

Andreas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    '02 Limited SR5 TRD Stepside
    I had a similar scenario years ago. Talked to the dealership and they explained to my that my vehicle can tow up 'X' pounds.
    Then came the BUT....... towing at max or close to max will put a constant strain on the tranny and engine. There would be a good chance of blowing the Tranny before engine failure.
    Sometime this year or next I am planning on towing a heavy load and am aware of my vehicle 5000lb towing capacity. I will have to adjust my driving attitude with a heavy load. I will be driving at somewhat slower speed, will NOT gun it up hill. That's where most people ruin a vehicle, even without a load. I will keep my RPM's at a compfy speed, never rev it.
    Legal minimum speed limit on USA freeways is 45 - but you MUST stay in the right lane (it's law anyway, drive right, pass left).
    When going up hill, use flashers like the semi's do. Steep long passes you could drive both vehicles, once clear and on flat lands, hook up again

3. Nov 27, 2016 at 8:00 AM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    You should be fine, I have a 07 V6 Prerunner with towing package and I towed my girlfriends 03 Civic (around 2500lb) once with a tow dolly(750lb) and once with an auto transport(2000lb). It was about a 400 mile trip both times, I cruised at about 60 mph and dont want to think about my gas millage. If you have the tow package you will have an oil cooler, tranny cooler, larger alternator, heavy duty hitch, 7 pin connector, and a plug and play brake controller.

A couple thoughts for you - I understand that tow dollys are difficult to back up, different from other trailers, but I cannot say from personal experience. When you load up the car I would recommend putting something under the rear of the dolly to stop it from going down which jacks the trucks rear up, this is only when loading and unloading of course. Be aware that you are pulling two tons and to take it nice and easy with the gas. Also the truck is gonna sit nose high, maybe more so cause you have a lift, not sure about the lift part just a thought.

This is a great reference for all things towing https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-tacoma-towing-bible.4031/#post-35017

Tacoma towing Civic 2.jpgTacoma towing Civic 3.jpg

4. Nov 27, 2016 at 8:18 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Can it do it, yes.
    As stated about what the tow package includes, pop your hood open and look for a donut with two hoses directly under you oil filter. That's the oil cooler. The trans cooler will be in front of your radiator, small black cooler.
    A good thing to remember when using a tow dolly is that unlike a transporter (car trailer), you won't have the advantage of brakes back there. So, remember to give yourself extra room for braking.

5. Nov 27, 2016 at 8:25 AM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    Ohh thats actually a great point about the brakes, it was a very nice feeling when the brakes engaged on the auto transport, the dolly doesnt have brakes but then again it is 1000lb lighter

Products Discussed in

To Top