1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Help - Uhaul Car hauler ??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Fly5465, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Jul 12, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    Fly5465

Fly5465 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    Hey Tacoma guru's. I need advice.

I have a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 TRD automatic extended cab.

I want to tow my old Datsun pickup on a Uhaul trailer from Phoenix to Long Beach, CA for the big Japanese Classic car show that is coming up. (Great show if you have never been). Anyway, Uhaul lists the car hauler as 2200 lbs empty and my old Datsun weighs about 2200. So I'm looking at 4400~4500 lbs. Should I try it with my Taco, or should I try to find something else to tow it with? Its about 400 miles each way, with a couple mountain passes to cross. I don't want to stress out my Tacoma to much???

I don't have the HD green fan clutch, but I did just buy a transmission cooler to put on it.

Thanks for any input. By the way, here is a picture of my old Classic Datsun.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Dale - AZ

[​IMG]

2. Jul 12, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    DaCapt

DaCapt Mad Fisherman

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Reno, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 DC
    Nice Datsun!!

3. Jul 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Dude....that's a SWEET ASS DATSUN.

I WOULD NOT trust a Uhaul trailer. THINK about how much that little vehicle is worth to you in time, money, effort, sweat & tears.

4. Jul 12, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a U haul if you have the proper hitch and electric or hyd assit brakes but I don't think the Taco is the way to go, especially if you don't have a trans cooler, or cooling system thats up for it, why not just drive the Datsun, which is freaking kool!

5. Jul 12, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    Fly5465

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    DaCapt...THANKS!

Janster... thanks, I have never rented a uhaul trailer before, are they that bad? Hum?

twfsa.... thanks for the input. Nah, driving the old datsun is out of the question.. Ha..ha.. it only has 60hp and its wound up pretty tight at 50mph. It would be a LONG trip.

Others??

Thanks,
    Dale - AZ

6. Jul 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    chich2000

chich2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD TDR
    what size engine do you have on your taco? Do you know the towing limit on your taco? That would let you know if it is safe to tow that kind of load. I know the 05+ models have a 3500lb towing limit for 4 cylinder and V6's with out towing package, and 6500lb for V6 with towing package. I don't know what it is for your year Taco?
    Update:Ok I just looked up the specs on 2002 trucks. if it's the 4 cylinder you only have a 3500lb limit, so I would not tow your datsun with it. If you have the v6 then it's 5000lb with tow package. So as long as you have the v6 with tow package then you are good to go if you don't have a v6 then you should not even try to tow with it for that distance.

7. Jul 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '10 silver access 4x4, that'll never be done
    switched rear-view camera, custom access cab bench, tonneau cover, custom bike rack in bed, extra d-rings, de-badged, mag lite mount, weathertechs, bed lights with 3-way switches, rear spring TSB, ultra gauge, after market hitch, cab/hitch mounted canoe rack
    I personally hauled an '87 volvo 240 over 400 miles on a uhaul trailer, not behind my tacoma, but behind a box truck. The trailer should be just fine, as long as your tacoma is up for it

8. Jul 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

I'd say it's a bad idea to tow 4500 lbs behind a Tacoma. I know some will say that they have towed more weight but I don't think it's safe. Another option would be a car dolly where the front or rear wheels are on the dolly. Uhaul will say it's illegal to tow the vehicle backward but I towed my Taco from NC to FL that way without a problem. (I was pulling the Taco with my Dodge diesel)
    You can probably buy a light duty car dolly for the price of the Uhaul charge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or buy/borrow/rent one of these 16' landscape trailers. Much lighter that the Uhaul car hauler.

[​IMG]

9. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    Fly5465

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    I have the V6. Dont have the "tow" package, but I do have the hitch and I have added the TRD trans cooler. If I were to add the green coded fan clutch then I would have everything the "tow" package has.

Dale - AZ

10. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Fly5465

Member:
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD TRD
    36,000 miles
    Barnone,
    Yea, that is an idea too. I really wanted to tow with all 4 wheels off the ground. Maybe a lighter landscape type trailer would work too. I wonder if the ramps would hold up to a vehicle though? Even with my light Datsun?

Dale

11. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I agree its a little much for your tacoma. I've towed many U-haul tandem box trailers with my 1 ton company van. Some do fine, while I've had a couple that swayed like drunk dogs and made me very nervous.

12. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    when i had my titan, i helped a buddy tow his firebird from colorado to california. we used a uhaul car carrier and it was perfectly fine. we didnt have any problems. the trailer and car was about 6500-7000 lbs. you should do fine with 4500 lbs behind the tacoma.

the trailer comes with hydraulic brakes... which was good.... cause we drove over 80mph through utah. :)

[​IMG]

13. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Dale,
    I use to put blocks about half way up under the ramp when I would load my heavy tractor on my old 16' landscape trailer to keep from bending the ramp. The trailer was rated at 7000bs but the ramp was kinda light. I sold the trailer and heavy tractor so I got my new landscape trailer without the ramp and just use some ramps that I have for loading motorcycles in the back of my truck.
    BTW, very nice Datsun pickup. I forgot how small they were back in the old days. I had a 1977 Toyota pickup that rusted to pieces.

14. Jul 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    Like others have mentioned, it is a bit much to tow behind a Tacoma and you will without a doubt feel the weight, however is still doable. Since it is not too far and you take it easy and watch the temp, I'd say that you would be ok if you're up to doing it. Like NetMonkey mentioned, their car trailers do have trailer brakes which definitely a plus.

Just keep in mind if you do decide to do it that you're definitely not going to be the fastest rig going up the passes, but you will make it there.:)

15. Jul 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've never hauled with a Uhaul trailer myself. It's a rental. You don't know what type of abuse they've been through & you don't know if they're maintained properly. Sure - they probably tow just fine, but would you wanna take that chance?

I considered using a uhaul trailer for towing my built jeep. The Jeep wasn't worth that much to me - hell, I beat the shit outta it on the trails. So - if the uhaul trailer had some malfunction and I lost the jeep, it wouldn't upset me. If I had a freshly restored vehicle that I put my life into....I'd be outraged if something happened to it. That's just me....

Sounds like you need to buy yourself a trailer soon. Having your own trailer to tow that datsun around wouldn't be a bad idea. If you tow often and regularly, buying a bigger truck would be a good idea also.

To Top