1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Issues

Discussion in 'Towing' started by flyguy51, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Oct 29, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    flyguy51

flyguy51 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 6L SR5
    I just got back form a camping trip where I towed my 2006 Airstream 19' Bambie. My tow vehicle is a 2010 Tacoma double cab, 4x4. The GVWR for the Bambie is 4500 pounds. I have a few questions for you. I think that the total weight of the loaded trailer and all of the other stuff probably totaled about 4500 lbs. I use a weight distributing system too. When I got the truck all loaded and the trailer hooked up the front end of the truck was markedly raised even with the weight distributing hitch. In addition to this the ride was quite ruff and I think that I did bottom the back end of the truck out.

The truck towed the trailer quite well and if I didn't use the cruse controlling speed manually I could manage hills fairly well. The gas mileage sucked with the worst of 7mpg when dealing with the wind. In fact the Taco actually did better overall than my old F-150.

My questions are: What can I do to make the front end come to level with my trailer hitched up? I have only 3 leaf springs so can I go to the dealer and tell them that the ride is really bad and can I get 4 leaf springs and maybe heavier duty shocks? If the rear suspension is changed does the front have to be also?

Thanks for your help.

Fly Guy

2. Oct 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM
    yamaha73

yamaha73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Royce
    Madera ranchos
    Vehicle:
    1997 4runner, 1980 Toyota pickup
    4Runner- wagoneer Dana 44 front lunchbox locker. Rear stock axle spooled. Beadlocks and 36s 3link rear, leaf front, dual transfer cases 1980 pickup- exo cage. Locked front and rear on 40s dual transfer cases. Custom paint job
    you can get an add a leaf for the rear wich just adds a leaf to your stock pack for pretty cheap but if your going to tow i would get an air ride system, its like air bags for your rear suspension if you dont know wat they are, fill em up with air and it lifts your rear end. i believe firestone makes some for the tacoma

3. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Try the dealership first since your truck is so new. You might be able to get the TSB completed and get a new factory leaf pack out of the deal. I believe the TSB differs slightly between the SR5 and the TRD packages. When they did the TSB on my SR5 I got a new leaf pack and new shocks all around but they left the front coils. If I've read some other posts correctly, TRD models only get the new leaf pack since they already have the bilstein shocks.

The TSB springs will raise the back slightly (it shouldn't be drastic since your spings are brand new) but you do not have to do anything with the front if you don't want to. I've had mine with the TSB springs in the rear and stock front end for 3 years and no complaints.

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    wonelly

wonelly Member

Member:
    Florida Keys
    Vehicle:
    Taco Trd
    I have a 2008 Taco TRD. I tow a 2010 Fun Finder Xtra 205 with about 720 lbs on the tounge. I have a load distribution hitch by equalizer and when adjusted right, the truck sits almost level. I would first check and make sure that your hitch its tight enough and is transferring the weight properly. I went ahead and added the Fireston Ride Right airbags which were about $270.00. I put them in myself in about 2 hrs and with 45 lbs of air in each, the truck sits perfect. 50 lbs and I can get the truck to look as if there is nothing on the hitch. Strongly recommend it if you are going to be towing a TT. As for the MPG. I only tow at about 60-65 in 4th and still get about 10 MPG.

IMG_2190.jpg

5. Nov 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    +1 on making sure the dist hitch is setup correctly. Truck should be level.
    Also, take your fully loaded truck and trailer to the scales and make sure all your weights are under the max. Ie. GWVR, GCWR, front and rear axle. If any one is over, readjust your gear.
    Usually costs least than $10.

6. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    My truck tows much better with the airbags. Even with the WD hitch, I was a little nose high loaded. I would try to get the factory four leaf springs, but it's not worth it to buy them. I have Firestone Ride Rites and an Airlift wireless compressor. I tow in "4" and average 10mpg.

7. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    flyguy51

flyguy51 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 6L SR5
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've made an appnt. with the dealer on Monday to see if I can get the TSB done so I'll just have to wait on that. The next step seems to be to get air bags installed which really sounds like it will pretty much take care of the problem.

I do have the same type of WD hitch that wonelly has but it sounds like it needs to be checked to see if it is still set up correctly. It's been almost 5 years since it was installed so it's probably time.

Thanks to you all for your help. It's really nice to know that when I have a question, concern or just want to read stuff about my truck there is such a great place to go and with people who know so much about it. Thanks again.

8. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    wonelly

wonelly Member

Member:
    Florida Keys
    Vehicle:
    Taco Trd
    One more thing flyguy. Since you have the same hitch I have. Make sure you grease the heck out of it and tighten your sway bolts down to about 50lbs with a tourque wrench. When I say grease I mean ball,sway sockets, and where the bars rest on the ttailer. It knocks down on the horendous creaks and won't bind when making truns. Not to mention it won't chew on the ball.

9. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    I have to agree with others on s/u of your WD hitch, if s/u properly you should be level. Try going up a few chains on your load bars until level, that may put too much weight on your front end and your rear tires will spin easily - if so raise your ball mount and use just enough chains to get it level. I have an 09 DBL cab with TSB leaf pack, the TSB helped but was still no where near level until I got the WD hitch what a difference.

10. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    Get the rear tsb, it will make a world of difference and it should be covered under warranty. I would make every effort for that before spending $$.

11. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    chich2000

chich2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD TDR
    it sounds like your weight distributing hitch is not set up right, might wan to have it checked before you do anything else. I did get the rear TSP and help a lot, but if your hitch isn't set up right it is not going to help you.

Products Discussed in

To Top