1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing lights help

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Jwilson, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Apr 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    Jwilson

Jwilson [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Oceanside,CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport
    I just bought a little trailer to tow with my 2012 Tacoma sport. I hooked up the trailer and the rear lights of the trailer will not work. The guy I bought it from hooked up the trailer to his truck and all of the lights worked just fine. I even brought back the 7 to 4 adapter back to the store and went to the dealer to buy one from there. Went home tried it and still nothing. But the thing is the trailer has four lights, two in the rear and two yellow running lights on the side, when all set up the right yellow running light is on and that is the only light that comes on. Anyone deal with his before? I almost want to take it to the dealer soon but I don't want to deal with there b/s. Any help would be great, thank you.

2. Apr 14, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Sounds like the trailer (and the seller's truck) were not wired "standard".. not uncommon with DIY builds.

4-pins you'll have a ground, left turn, right turn, and running lights.
    Your truck handles the brake/turn functions.

On the trailer connector, the pin that is covered (exposed on your truck) should be the ground/common.
    The one next to it should be the running lights, left turn (yellow) and right turn (green).

I don't know why only the right yellow running light is on... all four running lights should be on the same feed.

3. Apr 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    SoCal
    Sounds like you need to rewire the trailer.

Also take your truck to a uhaul and give the guy a few bucks to hook up a trailer. This way you can test your trucks wiring.

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Most auto parts stores will have in their towing section a small inexpensive testing plug. You plug into your truck and it has small lights on it to see if your truck plug is working. Definitely should be under ten bucks probably closer to five. Good luck.

To Top