1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Max?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by joefunfinder, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    joefunfinder

joefunfinder [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4
    I'm currently towing a small travel trailer with my Tacoma. Dry weight around 3000 lbs. Want to upgrade to something more substantial. I know Toyota says 6500 lbs. Max . My thinking based on what I'm hearing from the so called experts "the dealers", is that I probably want to leave myself 1200 to 1500 Lbs. reserve. Anyone out there have any real world experience to draw upon. I'm thinking of a travel trailer in the 4600 lb. dry weight area. I will be towing with a weight distribution hitch and I'm considering air bags for the rear as well as an electric fan. I do live in the intermountain area, so any practical experiences are appreciated.
    Joe

2. May 7, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Sentinel Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & '79 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    It should tow that just fine. I towed 2580lbs with my 4 banger and had no trouble, thats over half the towing capacity of the 4 too. Lowest gear I had to go down to was 3rd.

3. May 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to TW. You'll find lots of infor in the Towing Guide found under the Mods & Tutorials tab at the top of the page..

Frank

To Top