1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing question

Discussion in 'Towing' started by FlawedXJ, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ [OP] mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    I'm about to take the plunge on a utility trailer to haul my jeep on. I'm looking at a 7x12 or 7x14, or if the deal is right, a 7x16. My question now, with the trailer loaded with the jeep, I'm looking at around 4000-5300 lbs. I've called around to ask about weights on these trailers and it seems to be consistent that a 7x12 tandem axle trailer is gonna run about 1000 lbs, give or take. Now with the jeep loaded (about 3300 max) I'm looking at 4300 lbs. From what I can tell, thats quite a load. Now heres where I need some info,

Will I be ok with just trailer brakes, or would I need some type of sway control or WD hitch? I've read through this whole towing thread and the bible and I'm still a little confused as to what I will need. Thanks in advance for the info.

2. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Bilstein 5100 CO's @ 1.75" - Icon UCA's - TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Flowmaster 50 Duals(RIP...back to stock for now) - Avid Offroad Arctic Bar - Avid Offroad Nerf Bars - Leer 550 Bedcover - AVS Hood Protector(RIP) - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Depends on how well balanced the trailer is. If evenly balanced, you may get away without a heavier hitch. I'm hauling a 3500+ lb. boat that is a bit nose heavy and it does okay. The TSB springs make a big difference. I added air bags to mine too and the truck supports the load well....without trailer brakes either.

3. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Are you going to be moving it around alot?? Cause I would get the whole rig unless it's a very seldom used trailer.

Always better to pay to play and safe...than skimp and be sorry.

4. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mid-Travel 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    Kings Mid Travel, BAMF bed rack, RTT, dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    at 4300 lbs, I'd look into a WD system. That's ~2/3 of the load rating for the taco. At the very minimum, get some kind of anti-sway sytem.

5. Jul 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    It will be used to tow my jeep about 300ish miles once every now and then on highways. Other wise, it should be just around town. Also, should i opt for two break axles, or will one be good enough.

6. Jul 7, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    Ok, after doing some research this is what I have come up with. I will most likely go with a WD hitch no matter what. Now my question is, Will this be sufficient?

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WD2~49568.htm

That pretty much has everything I need minus the ball. I know a well balanced trailer will avoid sway, but I think that hitch mount has mounting holes for friction sway bars. If you guys think i would need sway bars no matter what, what do you think of this set up?

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WD2~66152.htm

Only downside to this is, its over 100 bucks more, and doesn't come with a WD shank or hitch ball....another 130 bucks added to it. Thats out of my price range as of now.

7. Jul 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    bump for the evening guys

8. Jul 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    My camper is about 4000lb fully loaded.. it's 20' long with a single axle, I had serious sway problems when going downhill.. The trailer was pushing the truck, Installed a sway bar, problem solved.

I am curious if because you have two axles, if you will even have that problem. I have the Spring TSB, and no WD hitch.. tows level, has front plow when not towing. WD definitely won't hurt your situation. From what I know, they sway and balance is all in the tongue weight.. the greater the percentage the better your handling. I only had about 10% tongue weight (400lb) as compared to the trailer weight, and I would not tow without the sway bar again. It was kind of scary.

Hope it helps..

Sam

9. Jul 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    What he said.

10. Jul 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    VancityCK

VancityCK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic AC TRD Offroad
    Definitely do the weight distribution, and go for brakes on both axles, it makes a difference, especially at 4000# +. FWIW, I tow a tandem axle enclosed, that weighs about the same loaded as your proposed rig. I use a WD hitch very similar to the first one you posted from etrailer. It may not be designed as an anti-sway measure, but once it is set up properly, there is a small amount of anti-sway built in, just due to the tensions involved on all the components.

Hope that helps.

11. Jul 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Although, I've never towed with the tacoma...

I did haul a Jeep with Grand Cherokee & Dodge Ram. The car hauler trailer we used, was a 14' open deck with slide out ramps. It weighed 1200lbs and was probably the perfect fit for a Wrangler.
    [​IMG]
    Same trailer and different Jeeps
    [​IMG]

I'd keep the weight down as much as possible. Some of the 16' trailers can weigh up to 2000lbs. Shoot for a 14' open deck.

I've never hauled with a weight distributing hitch myself, but if I were ever to haul that much weight with the tacoma - I'd certainly get one. You definately need to find the SWEET SPOT - where the jeep sits on the trailer for optimal tonque weight and best towing experience.

To Top