1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by zampedri313, May 26, 2017.

1. May 26, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    zampedri313

zampedri313 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4
    none
    Hey all,

I am going to be getting out of the Army soon and I am taking a trip around the us to ride moto and mountain bike. I am going to be driving my 03 Tacoma with 160k on the clock. I am going to be buying a small toy hauler (12'-14'). The weight of the ones I am looking at are right around 3,000lbs. I will also have tools, a generator, small welder, one dirt bike, and misc camping/riding gear. I estimate that with all of that, and water in the tanks I am looking at 4500-5000lbs. That puts me right at the recommended towing capacity. What mods, if any would any of you make? I was thinking about heavier rear leaf springs, helper air bags, and maybe exhaust and cold air intake.

2. May 26, 2017 at 10:04 AM
    01GreenTacoma

01GreenTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    IMO I would not worry with a cold air intake "minimal gains" and exhaust will give you minimal gains as well. I would focus on getting heavier rated springs and possibly air bags. Keep in mind heavier springs/airbags do not increase payload, but make your truck more stable while hauling the load.

3. May 26, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    zampedri313

zampedri313 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4
    none
    Yeah, I get that the payload will not increase. I am not planning on going over that magic 5k number. I am really hoping to stay under 4500lbs. Thanks for the input. I am also going to have the tranny flushed and serviced prior to leaving. Do you think a trailer load distributing/anti sway hitch would be a worth while investment? I have always had full sized trucks and towing with something this small is new to me. Thanks again for your input.

4. May 26, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    01GreenTacoma

01GreenTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you ever done a transmission fluid flush on your truck before? I have always heard if the transmission was not flushed at regular intervals to leave it alone and add fluid if needed.

5. May 30, 2017 at 10:49 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

03 NIGHT TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    You could look into doing the Tundra brake upgrade as well - that's a lot of weight with our crappy stock brakes.

Also - many on here who tow get an Ultragauge, Scangauge, etc. to monitor transmission temps while towing :thumbsup:

Sicyota04 likes this.
  6. May 31, 2017 at 12:51 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    I did not see if you have a Auto but flushing says a auto

Auto Trans cooler for sure

Trailer brakes every little bit helps .

How you load the trailer makes a big difference in how it handles and pulls.

Up grade to a 7 pin plug and brake control needed for the trailer brakes

You will find the weight adds up very quick how much of the load are you planning to carry in the truck??

03 NIGHT TACO likes this.
  7. May 31, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    you say small toy hauler... are we talking enclosed or open? If it was me I would really examine the construction of the toy hauler very carefully. I have seen toy haulers where the "V" of the hitch is butt welded to the front cross piece as opposed to welded underneath the trailers box frame. The 7 pin connector is a good idea. I always run the +12v charging wire and make sure that it is only powered when the tow vehicle is running*. I put a battery in the trailer that the tow vehicle can use "just in case". If open, an aluminum box can be installed on the tongue to hold the battery and stuff.

*I am a Ford truck guy... Toyota doesnt make anything big enough for a 33' 5th wheel toy hauler, anyway, I couldnt find a decent Ford and a buddy was selling his 03 Silverado 2500HD, Allison 5 speed, 8.1L gas, quad cab, long bed, 2WD / LS etc. etc. and the price was right. First trip to the desert and get ready to go home and both of the chevys batterys are dying or near death. Come to discover that Dodge and Chevy decided to have constant power through the trailer harness so all weekend pulling power out of the coach batteries and the tow vehicle batteries...

8. Jun 1, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    I have a couple friends who I've recommended this to, before spending the dollars on a pricey travel trailer. Rent a U-haul car hauler, borrow a buddy's 2, 3 or 4000 pound car. Haul it around for a day or so. Most find out that " tow rating" isn't a fun weight to tow. Then factor in mountains, trailer aerodynamics, etc. Most end up with a bigger tow vehicle or smaller trailer. X2 on the Tacoma stock brakes.

03 NIGHT TACO likes this.
  9. Jun 1, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    Too much weight, I wouldn't go over 3800 lbs

Products Discussed in