1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing RV that has its own battery

Discussion in 'Towing' started by TimS, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Feb 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    TimS

TimS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC tacoma/2005 access cab
    Rebuilt with flatbed 5100's, new spring packs
    Hey guys 1st, thanks to Maverick491 for the great info. Very good write ups on all things towing.
    Here is what I am planning to do: We have a 2010 DC and a 2005 4cyl 5 spd. Both do not have towing packages.
    I am going to wire both up with a 7 blade connector and use the same brake controller.
    Questions: The pop up has a battery that should be charging while in transit. Is there anything we should do special for this.
    Also, does the 4cyl have a brake controller plug under the dash? I have found a couple of plugs but not sure what they are for.

Thanks for any help and advice
    1st trip is to Newfoundland after school gets out. Can't wait.

2. Feb 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    The 4 cylinder does not have a pigtail. You will need to run fused power to the controller, and then wire that to the rear of the truck. It's quite an operation. I did it on my '09. You will also have to wire a second circuit with a fuse and a relay, to have a circuit to charge the RV battery. I wired mine to the DRL's, because the 4 cylinder alternator does not have the capacity to power an RV, while powering all the other loads associated with towing, lighting, and air conditioning. With the relay triggered to turn on when the truck moves, and shut off when you turn the truck lights on. To properly charge the RV and run a refrigerator if it has one requires a minimum 10 gauge wire. The brake controller hot wire can be smaller (12 - 14 gauge.)
    Off topic - the wiring will be much easier on the V6, but the 4 cylinder will tow it much more efficiently.

3. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    Bryanc and I have done the brake controller on the 4 cylinder.It was not that bad, but a good 4-5 hours of work. But I did a very good job that a dealership would not have done. Use the unused hole under the drivers seat to run the wires to the cab. Then get the adapter and attach to tail lights. Then I ran the whole 7 wires up into the drivers side bed storage.It only comes out when I need it. No more worries about salt and corrosion.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-...oma-access-4cyl-brake-controller-hook-up.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/37058-4-cylinder-towing-review-long.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/13992-brake-controller-4-cyl-5-lug-2wd.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/35798-09-tacoma-owners-brake-controller-where-plug.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/36785-brake-controller-install-help-request.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/25528-08-trailer-wiring-problem.html

4. Feb 22, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    TimS

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info. I now have a materials list which I have to purchase and get some time I hope this coming weekend to do this. Everyones input is much appreciated.

5. Feb 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    What about the charging circuit?

6. Feb 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    Crooked Beat

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    I am not sure what you mean.

7. Feb 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    How was it wired? You mentioned that you ran all 7 wires back. Did you use a relay, a fused circuit from the battery? I found this part of the wiring above the abilities of a typical DIY'er.

8. Feb 23, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    Crooked Beat

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    I initially did not have the charge circuit. But then added a fused line from the battery back when I decided that having a fully charged battery would be a good idea. This after forgetting to charge battery at home!

Getting all seven wires in the 7 round (bargman plug) is a job than is not easy. The thicker the gauge the harder it is.

It is "okay" to do as a DIY'er. Not easy, put doable. I followed the wiring in a friends vehicle and the posts on the forum.

My old trailer and truck had the flat 4 plug and I was always having problems with salt and corrosion after each winter. Putting the 7 wires in the driver's side storage bin was my solution. I had to make one of the three slots the door fits in larger (I think I used the middle slot) and fed the wires through there. And I broke off the corresponding tab on the storage bin door.

I got all the wires at a local auto supplier. 10 gauge I think. There are also packages available at etrailer.com. Make sure your wire is long enough to fit to your trailer!

9. Feb 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I would recommend using a relay for the charging circuit, as the starting battery could easily be drained by a discharged RV battery, or even the fridge left on when stopped.

10. Feb 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    Crooked Beat

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    To TimS:

I forgot to add that I have been to Newfoundland many many times. I usually spent all of August there at relatives. If you need any ideas of where to go, let me know.

I would recommend the side trip to France. Only 90 minutes from Newfoundland. Go to France for the day!

11. Mar 6, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    TimS

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Crooked Beat. I will for sure have a few questions regarding Newfoundland. Once we get more into the planning stages I'll pick your mind a bit.
    Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top