1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing while breaking in?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by akone, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Mar 14, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    akone

akone [OP] Member

Member:
    Southeast Alaska
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 LB
    Leaf Spring and shock TSB
    I have an 09 DBL cab 4X LB with an A.R.E. shell and around 50 miles on it. What do you think of hauling about 400 pounds in the bed and a small rental trailer with furniture in it (300 pounds of furniture) during the break-in period from Phoenix to Seattle? It has the tow package and the leaf spring TSB done.

2. Mar 14, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Sure- Follow all the break-in rules. You'll be fine.

3. Mar 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    hmm i had such a heavy foot during my break in period and my truck is fine. I was really hard on my wrx during the break in period too and all that happened was a burned out clutch. you should be fine.

4. Mar 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Engine break in is a very short period and there is even some talk that it's taken care of before the truck moves off the assembly line.

I used a heavy engine loading break in for my motorcycle and it works great- Also did it with an engine rebuild on my last truck. Honing and tolerances are so fine nowadays that break in happens very quickly.

5. Mar 15, 2009 at 12:30 AM
    akone

akone [OP] Member

Member:
    Southeast Alaska
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 LB
    Leaf Spring and shock TSB
    Thanks for the replies. I've read several posts on this and other forums about break-in but I am still hesitant to force a hard break-in. Seems that most say that the best is to drive normally and vary speed on the highway for the first 500 miles.
    Anyone else have an opinion or experience to relate?

Thanks,
    akone

6. Mar 15, 2009 at 12:46 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    i say break it in the way you will always drive, not sense babying it for 500 miles then beating on it. Of course you dont want to redline the shit outta it and do really hard shifts, but then again, you wouldnt want to do that to any engine.

7. Mar 15, 2009 at 12:57 AM
    tacoholic

tacoholic 09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff...I'm pretty sure
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    Quite possibly, someday...
    Essentially because of the machine controlled building process there is little to no difference between a set of 2 or 4 or 500 engines, they machine the engines to prevent any break-in period at all so in short, your engine is already broken in.

I personally think that's BS so for like 500 miles I would keep a lighter foot and not stay at one speed for too long.

8. Mar 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    waiting 1000 miles can't hurt. I tried my best but had to tow a double-axle trailer and racecar at 750 miles.

=D

To Top