1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with a cap / topper vs empty bed.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Exracer2, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Sep 19, 2018 at 10:33 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    I tow a car hauler flatbed (not enclosed) regularly with a sxs and atv from Seattle to Moses Lake, WA. The three instances directly below are all talking about 70-72 mph the entire way.

Before canopy, with a full tank of gas, I would regularly have my low fuel light come on within a couple miles of Moses Lake, multiple times just as I exited the freeway.

I got new tires, Duratracs, to replace the original Rugged Trails and I could no longer make it all the way on a single tank (or at least it was so buried down by the E i was afraid to try).

Once I put a canopy on I was consistently able to make it with 1/8th of a tank remaining.

Now that I have an AT Habitat and I'm more loaded down and heavier toys... I throw that out the window and drive much slower. This last trip I probably averaged more like 55 (45-50 up the pass and out of vantage) with top speeds of around 65 during the trip.

The standard canopy (was a Leer) definitely helped my mileage in a noticeable manner while towing. I'm sure it will help you out.

2. Sep 19, 2018 at 11:07 AM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    Great idea. Golf balls are dimpled for aerodynamics. They keep a buffer of air vortices between the ball and the air they are working against. Honda tried a fairing with dimples on the front at the Suzuka 8 hours race years ago. Same principle.

3. Sep 19, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    Exracer2

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Lots to think about.

4. Sep 23, 2018 at 3:57 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX

That's exactly what I found out on my old truck. When I bought my new truck I didn't purchase a cap. Also a cap makes it harder to back the trailer up in the dark.

5. Sep 24, 2018 at 4:51 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Driving at 55 instead of 70 will half your mpg a lot more than anything else.

6. Sep 24, 2018 at 5:39 AM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    I have had caps on and off my trucks since early 1980's. They will make a difference, maybe 1-1.5 mpg depending the trailer, but not enough to justify the cost for just that purpose.
    Little aerodynamic changes do make a difference. Just look at the over-the-road trucks with flush hubcaps, mirrors and aero deflectors. But, that's an accumulation over many miles.

7. Sep 24, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    Exracer2

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    No it won’t. Unless you have TRIED IT with a third Gen and a trailer my size and can prove me different. I have tried different speeds. The only thing that saves substantial fuel is holding a higher gear. While travelling at or under 80kmh (49mph) it will hold 5th. You can’t do this safely on highways rated at 100kmh (62mph) with many travelling at 120kmh (75mph).

There is a reason I specified real world testing experience vs theories when I first posed the original questions in my original post. Theories can be 100% correct but have zero relevance in this discussion. Improving aerodynamics is the goal here as it will allow the truck to hold a higher gear and THAT will result in better economy and more importantly less noise and more comfort. Just because a slower speed has less aero drag and better economy it doesn’t make it relevant. I could go cross country and never go above 50kph / 30mph but that is simply not realistic or even plausible.

To be quite clear the goal is to be able to reduce aerodynamic drag enough to consistently run a higher gear and reduce motor screaming which makes for a more pleasant drive. The benefit of better fuel economy while still a major concern is not the primary focus. The issue truely is about reducing drag so that higher gears can be used. Everything else comes into place after that.

8. Sep 24, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    I don't think your going to achieve that with just a cap.

9. Oct 14, 2018 at 8:40 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    I get around 15 MPG with my 5x8 V nose and cap on my truck @65 MPH give or take. I have no data for no cap, sorry. Just providing some towing info for ya.

Exracer2[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top