1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with the 2.7 liter

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bobinyelm, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Jul 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    bobinyelm

bobinyelm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    I guess what it comes down to is how slowly one is willing to do so/

Given I have learned that the Tacoma 2.7 is as durable and stout engine is as stout and long-lasting as anything Toyota has produced, and the transmission and driveline is the SAME one used in the V8 Tundras (please correct me if I've got that wrong because I really do want to know the facts), it would seem the limits (at 3500 pounds towing) are as much imposed by the patience of the driver to be kind to the truck when traversing hills (selecting an appropriate gear, speed, and throttle setting) rather than being totally unsuited for the weight.

"Unsuited" is somewhat subjective in that it's NICE to be able to maintain a reasonable forward progress over hills without abusing the equipment (I consider using high throttle settings and rpm as abuse), especially considering that no one's patience isn't tested after spending long periods where traffic, even tractor trailers, whiz by on even modest inclines.

I think I will try towing my empty 3000# flatbed with the 2.7 and from that make a decision whether to invest in the mount to tow the 19ft Scamp rather than use my Cummins equipped truck that I originally thought would be ridiculous, but am coming to think may be not so given the Tacoma bed rail height is only 2" less than the big Dodge (I had not put them side by side to realize this), especially considering the Cummins provides superior fuel economy and comfort.

I just thought the Tacoma could be a nicer size for running around locally when at desired sites with tte 5th wheel trailer parked (especially some in Colorado and Utah where there are beautiful and modest 4WD "Jeep" trails the Tacoma could handle that lead into gorgeous near-wilderness that the larger 2WD Dodge is totally unsuitable for), but maybe practicality dictates compromising on those, or moving up for an early V8 Tundra (medium size, 4WD capability, but still poor fuel economy) if a smaller-than-full-size dually truck and more flexibility (4WD) are worth it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  2. Jul 3, 2020 at 3:53 PM
    gusto11071

gusto11071 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan E.
    Brewster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Ext Cab DLX 2.7L 4X4
    Rear FJ Cruiser Disc Brakes, Front Tundra Brakes, Heated 4Runner Mirrors, 2018 Tacoma OEM 18" Wheels
    I see......

3. Jul 3, 2020 at 8:55 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    Just tow within the 3500lb limit. Keep your trans in s4 or S5 and don’t drive faster than 65mph. I would go 55-60mph personally just to be more gentle on all the equipment.

4. Jul 3, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    Oh, it's an auto.

Nah, don't do it.

JudoJohn likes this.
  5. Jul 3, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    bobinyelm

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    I never intentionally exceed 60mph regardless of what TV or trailer I am towing. I've found 57mph the sweet spot using both my old Powerstroke and my Cummins towing, but I am sure it's purely coincidental, and that the Tacoma will have it's own personality. When I hook up a trailer and try it, I am sure (I HOPE) I will find a sweet-spot, or happy-pace where the combination feels comfortable, neither lugging, or pulling harder than comfortable. When I get the truck the way I want it (my new rotors and pads just came in today in fact) I'll give the flat bed a try and I will chime in with my personal findings.

Bob

specter208[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 3, 2020 at 10:13 PM
    bobinyelm

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    I was concerned that the transmission wasn't up to it, but then I found that the Tacoma trans is the SAME Model A340F they installed in the Tundra, which is rated to tow far more.

If you mean because the auto steals too much power from the engine, which is marginal at best of course, you may have a point. A point I will sample when I try pulling he 3000# flatbed around a bit. That may lead me to your conclusion!

Bob

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  7. Sep 28, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    Toyotadilly

Toyotadilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillynn
    Sarasota,fl
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner 2008 Toyota Sequoia limited w/tow package..01 echo 310k soon daily
    Bilstein 5100’s.eibach coils.stoptech cryogenic rotors.1.25in toytec blocks.tranmission cooler. Electric fan w/ relay.
    Defiantly some good reading here tonight. I’m towing 2364lbs with 2.7l dbl cab. My boat is 17.2ft and is low. Air resistance will be a big factor. Towing in Florida only here, flat grounds. Overdrive is always off and 3200rpms has been my magic number. Transmission cooler is a must and aux fan is nice for stop and go traffic when airflow is minimum. I’ve recently added 1500lb over too leaf helpers to assist weak springs. Looking into sumo- springs / timken progressives. Like others have mentioned, a Pillar-pod and a temp probe in the pan is the safest bet to see what the truck is going to handle. Merging interstate with my foot to the skinny I’m lucky to hit 55mph. Not the most comfortable tow set-up but it’s what I have

Attached Files:

8. Sep 28, 2020 at 8:05 PM
    Toyotadilly

Toyotadilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillynn
    Sarasota,fl
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner 2008 Toyota Sequoia limited w/tow package..01 echo 310k soon daily
    Bilstein 5100’s.eibach coils.stoptech cryogenic rotors.1.25in toytec blocks.tranmission cooler. Electric fan w/ relay.
    Im planning a big trip to the keys and want to know the 250miles each way will be okay for my truck. Looking into finned oil cooler by csf but they are pricey. Pillar gauge is next. As of now my max haul has been about 65 miles each way and engine temp hasn’t changed. Also, since I’ve started towing I’m now following severe duty truck maintenance. Brake/power steering every 30k and Toyota atf every 50k.

9. Sep 29, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    I have a 2WD Taco with a 2.4 and 5 speed. I have towed a car from Colorado (north of Denver) to St. Louis with no problems. However, I was not at the 3500 lb limit. I was easily able to cruise at 65 mph, except on big hills. I also got 22-26 mpg on the trip. So, the engine has the power.

However, the limfac is always the brakes. That is why they have the 3500 lb limit. Theoretically, any Tacoma could pull a 12,000 lb trailer on flat surface. It may take a while to get to speed, but it could do it. Stopping, is another story. How long, and how much it would damage the brakes is the question.

cruxofthebisquit likes this.
  10. Sep 29, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    Old n' slow

Old n' slow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oak Island, N.C.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 2.4 5 speed flare side
    I towed a 13’ Casita ( 10’ box no trailer brakes ) for years with my 2.4 L . I did it and the truck performed flawlessly ( but underpowered) , but if I ever get back into trailering again I would DEFINITELY get a V6.

p.s. I never weighed the camper but going by the mfg specs and fully loaded I estimate it was in the high teens.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    JudoJohn likes this.
  11. Sep 29, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
  12. Sep 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I'm not generally one to adhere to the "never drive with the overdrive on when towing" mantra.

If you're on flat ground and your engine isn't working too hard, there's no reason to ride a gear lower, IMO. If your motor isn't working hard, neither is your trans. Especially if you have a trans cooler (which everyone with an A340 should). I drove class B (pass endorsement) for several years, and those vans could tow 10x anything we ever pulled (whitewater rafts). If anything, the OD rule was just to make you drive slower. Not that that's a bad thing, lol...

Hit any kind of hill or your truck starts hunting for gears, yeah, keep the OD off.

Driving through the flat plains of Nevada, my truck hardly noticed my popup trailer back there doing 65. Passing trucks, I'd hit 75 sometimes and the trailer was still stable due to proper weight and balance.

JudoJohn likes this.
  13. Feb 20, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    BrianMan12

BrianMan12 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    So here's a question for all of you. I've got a 2015 4cyl and my wife and I are going to be moving from WV to Idaho in the summer and I need to transport my gun safe some how and safely without it in view to be stollen and locked up because we'll be travelling through all those states and I don't want any gun issues. I was thinking about putting the safe in one of those tiny u-haul trailers so it can be out of sight no one will think to attempt to steal a gun safe if they don't know it's there. The safe with guns will probably be about 380lbs and their smallest trailer is about 850 lbs for a grand total of about 1250-1300lbs. My biggest worry as I'm a trucker is really just getting through WV and a small portion of ohio's hills. Overall how well do you guys think this will work out. All I'm gonna put in it is the gun safe and maybe a mattress so let's say 1300 lbs

14. Feb 20, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    Old n' slow

Old n' slow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oak Island, N.C.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 2.4 5 speed flare side
    I’ve towed a (roughly) 1,700 pound camper from western Maryland to all over the New England mountains on many trips with my 2000 2.4 stick shift. I did have a sway bar and my vehicle is in perfectly maintained condition. Patience, third gear and 55mph for going up steep mountains.

JudoJohn likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top