1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toynado Quicksand build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by Toynado, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Jul 2, 2016 at 7:12 PM
    Toynado

Toynado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    @LovelandTaco would be able to answer that question better. I'm not sure of the exact wattage. But I'm loving this upgrade to the truck! I highly recommend installing them it's a HUGE difference

2. Jul 2, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    sharrell

sharrell Active Member

Member:
    i installed the low beams today (35W) and i agree its a world of difference. they came in 35W and 55W and just wondered how much brighter the 55W was. Possibly too bright for low beams.

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 2, 2016 at 8:46 PM
    3d fj

3d fj Member

Member:
    I know that using a 55w upgrade HID has sometimes led to melting of the stock headlight wiring in some vehicles. It will be brighter than 35w, but with the added risk of melting wires, i'd stay away from that. I think LEDs may be different.

Toynado[OP] and sharrell[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Jul 3, 2016 at 11:01 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    The 35w IMO are plenty bright enough. I wouldn't want to risk melting stuff or pissing off everyone else on the road

sharrell[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 11, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    sharrell

sharrell Active Member

Member:
    toynado, what pressure are you running in your tires?

6. Jul 11, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    38/39 psi for daily driving. How about you?

7. Jul 11, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    sharrell

sharrell Active Member

Member:
    43/44 daily driver and haul or tow nothing. think i may need to air down a bit. I know the E rated rides a little stiffer than the stock C rated but damn, im feeling every little pebble in the road.

8. Jul 11, 2016 at 7:23 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    I haven't tried them with higher pressure but 38/39 feels about right to me. But I might bump it up and see what it feels like. Prob get a mile or two higher mpg I'm guessing

9. Jul 12, 2016 at 3:08 PM
    sharrell

sharrell Active Member

Member:
    Wish they made a C rated in this size. Tire ride is a little stiff, suspention rides nice. Havent noted any transmission shifting shenanigans yet. They did put way too much camber in for the spring settle, makes the steering really twitchy at higher speeds (70 and above).

10. Jul 12, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    My guess is by the time we need new tires they will be making a C rated version. At least that's my positive thinking.
    I had the reverse/drive lag issue but took it in and they said they manually check fluids and found them fine but did lubricant driveshaft and they seems to have fixed the problem.
    Didn't notice it being twitchy and on the highway I tend to get on it.

11. Jul 12, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Had my tires rotated today - five tire rotation - and had them put a new TPMS in the spare and all good.

sharrell likes this.
  12. Jul 14, 2016 at 6:42 AM
    Jystr

Jystr IG: TW_Jystr

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Leesville, LA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red Tacoma TRDOR
    See build thread
    I run 36/37 for my stock tires for Daily Driving :) Not overly sensitive but also not too low. I think the little sticker says 35/36 on the drivers door.

Also, if you haven't answered it: Are you able to use your tonneau cover with that bed rack on there?

13. Jul 14, 2016 at 6:31 PM
    Toynado

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Yes, that's why I got the Truckcoversusa tonneau. Rolls right up into the canister. Also, I can take the whole rack off in about 10-15 min. With two people it would just take a couple minutes because with two people there is no need to take off the tire and hi-lift - Just unlock the towers and lift off.

Jystr[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 21, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    Rhubarb

Rhubarb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big D (TX)
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR, Manual Trans
    I was talking to the guys at CVT tents (RTT) because I have the Truck Covers USA roll top along with the Yakima rails. I sent them a pic of the tonneau/rails, described how it ties in to the truck's rail system. They said the Yakima round crossbars and the control towers should do just fine with the tent I want. I asked about dynamic weight, and they guessed it would be fine. Thoughts?

15. Jul 21, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    3d fj

3d fj Member

Member:
    If you look at toynado's second pic on post #184, the rack feet are actually placed inboard of the bed rails. Depending on how that is supported underneath, (toynado - can you post a pic if you have one), i don't know how comfortable I would be with my RTT's weight resting on top of that, when i just spent $1600 on the tonneau cover. I have a CVT Mt. Rainier and it is heavy enough without my family in it. I'd be afraid of collapsing/bending the surface where the yakima feet are resting.

16. Jul 21, 2016 at 4:00 PM
    Rhubarb

Member:
    Big D (TX)
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR, Manual Trans
    Thanks for the response, 3D. The rail system on mine and Toynado's tonneau is apparently aluminum. That aluminum rail is attached to the top plate with 5 hex head bolts (these only attach the rail to the top plate). The top plate is held in the truck's bed rails at two points per each side. Given this, would you still be concerned?

The Shasta Summit that I want to purchase is 150 pounds. I think each Yakima rail is rated at 150 (maybe more, don't know).

17. Jul 21, 2016 at 4:12 PM
    3d fj

3d fj Member

Member:
    If i'm reading you correctly, then me personally, i probably wouldn't mount the tent on it. I'm no engineer, i just fix teeth so all this is my own opinion. Did you call truckcovers to see how much weight the yakima crossbars can handle mounted on their cover system? I would think that they should have an approximate figure unless they never planned on people mounting things heavier than a bike. When i get my truck (hopefully a 17 ORDCLB), I'm going to be asking you guys for pics of your covers and creating a thread so i don't muddy up toynado's (sorry man). I have a plan to potentially use this tonneau cover and the allpro bedrack but welding it myself.

Toynado[OP] likes this.
  18. Jul 21, 2016 at 4:16 PM
    Rhubarb

Member:
    Big D (TX)
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR, Manual Trans
    These are all good questions, 3d. I just talked with Bobby at CVT tents. He suggested I get the Yakima aero bars, which are wider than the round bars and better disperse the weight (my paraphrasing). He said he runs the Aero on his F350 in the very rail system we are using (on his pickup topper, I believe he said).

Concerning the allpro (sorry, but I've read this thread but don't recall if you mentioned exactly how you would do it), how would you slip the allpro mounts beneath the Truck Covers USA top rail?

Bobby did say I should call Yakima and Truck Covers, but I get the feeling it might be fine. Wonder if 3 crossbars might disperse more weight

19. Jul 21, 2016 at 4:22 PM
    Rhubarb

Member:
    Big D (TX)
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR, Manual Trans
    Hope this pix actually posts. One of the folks at CVT sent me this of a setup his friend has for a RTT.
    upload_2016-7-21_18-22-6.jpg

20. Jul 21, 2016 at 4:23 PM
    3d fj

3d fj Member

Member:
    Bobby culpepper is awesome! He's a great guy to talk to. Did he happen to mention which topper he uses?

To answer your question about the all pro- That's what i will need pictures for. Ideally, the all pro mounts would raise the truck covers top rail by the thickness of the steel bar that all pro uses. I would order a weld together rack, cut the rack to widen it, sleeve it, reweld it and therefore make the tubes mount more outboard on the steel bar than what allpro had originally intended. I would also raise the height of the rack so i could make it at the same height as a rack i would put on the cab thus making it level. I would also make it removable from where the rack mounts to the bed rail area. it's in my head now, but i'm still doing research.... mods before the truck... happens to me a lot.

Products Discussed in

To Top