1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain Camry, Venza and Tacoma Vehicles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaPrime, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    BCTacoma

BCTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Port Hardy, BC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Tacoma
    Toytec ULK, OME Dakars, Bilstein Shocks, Extended Brake Lines, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Pro Comp Steel wheels, Relentless Fab Front Bumper/Sliders
    So my airbag light just turned on, im thinking clock spring is the issue. I check my VIN and it IS included in the recall. But I imported my truck from the US into Canada a few years ago. So Im pretty sure i wont be getting anything in the mail.

The question is will the Canadian Toyota dealership still take care of the recall ? even though the truck was first sold in the US and I brought it into Canada ?

Thanks
    RC

2. Jun 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    great I have an 2009 Tacoma and 2010 Camry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

3. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 LRGRNR

Member:
    Boone, NC\Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    [Abridged ::rant:]
    These ponzi mother#$%^&*s made me wait 1 week and 2 hours just to "look at my VIN" so they could lie to my face instead of taking my VIN number on day 1 and ordering the part then.
    Secondly they are so underhanded that they wanted to use someone elses parts on my truck and possibly set them in the same situation that I am in.

Toyota-Scion of Sanford, NC I will be calling your Corporate office and tell them how poorly I was treated by Chad and Steven.
    [/abridged :rant:]

Last Saturday I go into a local Dealership to Schedule an appointment. The Guy1 takes my info 4 or 5 times because the computer is not letting him do something correctly. After he has my Name, Address and Phone Number written down to add later he says we will see you next week. Not once does he ask for my VIN number or to go look at my truck.
    I point out that he might want the VIN number and we go out to the truck. He snaps a picture of it on his phone because he is too lazy to write it down. Thursday rolls around and I make a call to the dealership to see if they actually got my phone information in the computer and the parts ordered. To the lady on the phones surprise they had not. She called someone and asked them what was going on and then got back to me and said we were all set and Ready to go for Saturday.
    I roll in Bright and shiny Saturday [Today] morning (I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON). I get all the pleasantries and hand over my keys and tell them I will be over at Walmart and the shopping center, they say it will be about 2 hours and will call me.
    Two hours later they call me and say that they can't replace it right now because they found out that they don't have the right part. I go to pick it up and Guy2 says that there are 3 different part numbers for the different, Cab Sizes, and they don't have the right one for mine but they have ordered it.
    I asked him to get me the 3 part numbers and he heads off to the back to get them. About 15 mins later he comes back out telling me that it wasn't 3 different part numbers that it was actually 3 different codes, B1801 was the correct code for my truck, says that it's based off of VIN number. He was also holding a part, he said that it was another customers part that they hadn't picked up yet and said we could use it on my truck and pointed out the B1801 hand written on the invoice. They have ordered the part and will call me Tuesday when it comes in. Whence I will promptly tell them where they can forcefully insert their part while I take my business elsewhere. Hell I don't want the clowns in the shop touching my truck if this is how retarded the people up front are.

4. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    Joe in PA

Joe in PA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD - new to me
    Just bought an '09 and see from the service records that the pedal modification recall-thingy has been done. Just out of curiosity, what did they actually do to the pedal, or whatever they changed? Just wondering... and/or wandering....

5. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Northeast FL
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    They shave/trim the gas pedal (I think they shape its lower edges into a V, if I remember correctly) and they re-program the ECU so that the vehicle cannot accelarate while the brake is applied. With the re-program the brake now overrides any accelerator inputs, and I think the computer cuts the ignition and/or fuel injection when both brake and gas pedals are applied.

6. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 LRGRNR

Member:
    Boone, NC\Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I'm not so sure on the ECU flash. I had the Safety Recall done on my '06. I still can hold my brake and accelerate (Jumping off the line and one tire fire)

7. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    It just cuts throttle.

The throttle has to be applied first then the brake. Also both inputs have to stay steady for X amount of seconds before the override kicks in. Lastly you have be going over a certain speed.

8. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Northeast FL
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    You have to be traveling at a minimum speed in order for the re-flash to apply (it's a slow speed - like 15mph or something, but I don't know the exact speed off of the top of my head).

9. Jun 30, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Not sure you'd consider mine heavily modified but they didn't bug me about anything.

10. Jul 2, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 LRGRNR

Member:
    Boone, NC\Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Can someone recommend a Toyota dealership that's not full of shit, near Sanford/Durham, NC? I would like to drive my truck around and be safe.

Toyota of Apex said that the airbag recall was just an announcement. They gave little concern to the fact that my airbag light has been on for 60,000 miles. They said that the airbag light being on wasn't related to the (AIRBAG RECALL)
    B1801/51 - short in driver side squib circuit. Told me to come in and they could check and see why that was on..
    :rant:
    Safety Recall C0B (C1B) Interim Notice - Certain 2005 to 2009 Model Year Tacoma Vehicles - Spiral Cable Assembly Replacement states:
    - In the meantime, if you experience an illuminated Airbag Warning Lamp please visit your authorized Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair.

Reposting in case anyone needs a refresher:

11. Jul 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    call toyota HQ, have them verify that your truck is part of the recall, then make them hold the local dealer to the fix.

12. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    Trimming the gas pedal is no big deal , they only take 3/8" off. But along with that trimming , they reprogram the ECU so that if the throttle is more than 1/3 down and the brake pedal is touched, the engine will shut down to idle.

13. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 LRGRNR

Member:
    Boone, NC\Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    I'm pretty sure you can sign a waiver and they won't do any of that.

14. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Mine was done by the previous owner.
    I wonder if I can sign a waiver and have them reflash it with the original programming?

15. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Anyone know why certain vin numbers in the 2005-2009 years are getting the notices and some are not? Does this recall only relate to trucks built at a particular plant?

16. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Do you know people with an '05-09 who have not received a notice who bought their truck from a major dealership?

I wouldn't expect "Joe's used cars" to forward buyer information to Toyota.
    Frankly, I was surprised that MK Smith Chevrolet did... but I got a notice on my '08.. bought it in December.

The recall saying "certain vin numbers" is simple legalese CYA language.
    It accounts for vehicles sold in countries where the recall is not applicable.
    Yes, the trucks still have the problem, but recalls are not global in nature.

17. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I bought my truck new at a Toyota dealer and haven't received a notice

18. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Has anyone in Canada received a notice?

Recalls are directed by the government. Canadian DOT generally holds close to US standards, but I don't know how recalls are handled.

19. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Mine was built in Calf in Dec of 06 and bought at a major Toyota dealership here in Oregon in May of 07...haven't recieved a notice and the dealer says no current recalls listed for my vin#.

20. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The previous recall for the gas pedal / brake override was similar to the one in the US , not sure about this one

*Ministry of Transportation

To Top