1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recalls of Certain Camry, Venza and Tacoma Vehicles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by TacomaPrime, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    You will have to put the original spiral cable back in the truck or they wont do the job.

2. news8000

news8000 Active Member

Member:
    Southeast Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4X4 Access Cab Stock
    ON STOCK UNIT: Rear Leaf TSB, Leer Cap w/ Windoors, Michelin LTX M/S on ION 133s, K&N Filter, Cruise, Python Command Start/Alarm, Toyota Class 5 Hitch, Metra IPod Adapter

Oh shit, I destroyed the old one - curious to see what the problem was so I took it apart. I'll still raise shit about it and see what they say. Bummer!

3. Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    If the one you bought looks factory and has the label we look for it might fly, BUT you wont be getting your old part back, thats for sure. They make sure all recalled parts are either sent back or destroyed.

4. news8000

news8000 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ON STOCK UNIT: Rear Leaf TSB, Leer Cap w/ Windoors, Michelin LTX M/S on ION 133s, K&N Filter, Cruise, Python Command Start/Alarm, Toyota Class 5 Hitch, Metra IPod Adapter

I guess I'm in no rush to have the recall repair done, may as well "use up" the squib I bought!
    Toyota has me over a barrel, then, to carry the cost of the $500 difference between the dealership's price and my doing it myself for as long as it MAY take Toyota to issue a recall for the problem - which of course I had no guarantee would happen. If you repair something yourself, rather than have a dealership do the work which then becomes a recall item, you are likely screwed unless you can put back any parts replaced before taking it in. Which is where I take a lesson - to resist my innate curiosity to take apart stuff that isn't working right. But I had no idea if Toyota would ever issue a recall.

5. DR Da_da

DR Da_da Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast FL
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    I just had my spiral cable replaced yesterday at my local dealer. I never had the airbag fault light to begin with, but all is well now. Thanks to Jason (Toyota Tech31) for confirming that the recalled applied to my VIN!

Questions: Is this new spiral cable the same part # as the spiral cable that comes in trucks equipped with steering wheel audio controls? I ask because I'm looking to add steering wheel controls to my truck. Other than the spiral cable, are these trucks pre-wired for audio controls whether or not the final assembly line product ends up equipped with them (just as all of our trucks recieve some of the wiring for other items such as the overhead console and A-TRAC)?

6. news8000

news8000 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think my non-equipped (stock) 2006 4WD V6 Auto has a different spiral cable than one with the "bells and whistles".

7. DR Da_da

DR Da_da Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast FL
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    I'm certain it does. However, I wonder if the new spiral cable I had installed under the recall is now the same as the spiral cable that's on trucks equipped at the factory with the steering wheel controls. If so, I'd be one step closer to mounting the controls on my truck.

8. news8000

news8000 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I am sure your dealership will have a record of the p/n installed.

9. g8rzguy78

g8rzguy78 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.C.
    WNC
    They did the same to mine, about 1/2 of it is gone now and looks terrible.

I took mine this past Saturday to have the Spiral cable fixed. took about an hour overall. That and got the oil changed while I was there.

10. Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    For those of you who feel their gas pedal looks like shit following the 90L (gas pedal) recall, you have the right to go back to the dealer and request a brand new gas pedal be put in your truck free of charge. It has to be legit, but that is included in the recall paperwork.

11. JamieThomas

JamieThomas Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie Thomas
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner lifted V6 SR5
    Lift, AFE intake, Borla ex., throttle body spacer, rims, trailer brakes, touch radio, subs, diff lock
    I don't like how it look like they cut mine at all but they will not replace it see that its not horrible:( but i am displeased at the fact they just cut it off

12. Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    May, 2011

To: All Toyota Dealer Principals, Service Managers, Parts Managers

Subject: Supplemental Information for Safety Recall – 90L

Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal

Although we believe that the majority of customers will be satisfied with the modification of the accelerator pedal, a few customers may request pedal replacement. Customer satisfaction is important to Toyota; therefore, if a customer is not satisfied with the appearance of the accelerator pedal after it has been modified, please assist us by assuring a replacement pedal is provided at

no charge to these customers.

A replacement pedal should be offered to a customer after the modification has been performed and the customer has expressed dissatisfaction with the pedal.

A replacement pedal should be used when the original pedal has been modified incorrectly.

13. g8rzguy78

g8rzguy78 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.C.
    WNC
    well thats better. Ill be calling this afternoon...

14. DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    aFe Pro Dry air filter, magnetic oil drain plug, synthetic seat covers, steering wheel cover
    I want to see photos of "original pedals that have been modified incorrectly."

When I had the TSB repair done at the local Toyota dealer, they were instructed not to touch my accelerator pedal because the floor mats were correct. They did not touch it.

15. Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    "Incorrectly" is a case by case. Everyone has a different opinion on how theirs should look. As for yours, they shouldn't have done any of the recall if they didn't cut the pedal as we have been instructed that we are not to do "partial" recalls. It's either all or nothing.

16. Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    And to help a little more, when we were trained here in the southeast region, it was made clear how we are to modify the pedals. Just a few months ago I was advised by one of our FTS's that if I ever saw a pedal that was cut like shit I was to replace it. He told me that there are guys out there that are hacking these things up and we are to right that wrong. We were trained to the point that our reps stopped by while we were cutting pedals and literally inspected them for a few hours. I take every pedal and modify it to the best of my ability to make it smooth and appear as close to untouched as I can.

17. TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport 2WD
    Pop N Lock with Key Memory, TruXsport tonneau.AVS Bug Shield,
    I don't see this "spiral cable" recall on the Toyota owners site, have only been notified of the accelerator /brake recall. The MSNBC link has no information

Year old Probably have to check with dealer.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  18. BobbyG99

BobbyG99 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    Just has the spiral cable replaced about three weeks ago and recently noticed my CC and horn were not working. Anybody else have this issue?

19. Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Take it back, they probably forgot to plug in 1 of the 2 plugs for the horn/cruise.

20. BobbyG99

BobbyG99 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    I did this week. They told everything was plugged in, the fuses were good as well as the relays.

To Top