1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Brand Oil Filter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by J Diggin, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Nov 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    J Diggin

J Diggin [OP] Hey Buddy ...

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Weathertech Floorliner DigitalFit, Transmission TSB, Rear Leaf TSB, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Rear Differential Breather Mod, Center Console Lock Mod, Trimmed Front Mud Flaps, Locking Gas Cap
    I'd love to see this article as well.

2. Nov 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM
    J Diggin

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Weathertech Floorliner DigitalFit, Transmission TSB, Rear Leaf TSB, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Rear Differential Breather Mod, Center Console Lock Mod, Trimmed Front Mud Flaps, Locking Gas Cap
    I have the same issue. I haven't found a wrench yet to fit the Toyota oil filters. Anybody?

3. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Toyota has a thing that fits on top of the filter and then use a wrench to get the filter off. I used a chain type filter wrench to get the filter off.

4. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    you shouldnt need a tool to remove the filter if it was installed correctly......

5. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I had to get one from NAPA - was the only one I could find that would fit.

NAPA service tools # 77-2790 3" end cap oil filter wrench

You need a ratchet to use it

6. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    J Diggin

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Correctly for me = hand tighten then 1/4 turn more with a wrench.

7. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    J Diggin

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Thanks!

8. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    I've always been tought it was snug tight then another 1/4 turn. All by HAND.

9. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    J Diggin

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    To each their own. That's the way I do it.

10. Jun 11, 2011 at 12:10 AM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    In regards to the dealership greasing the grease points under your truck I learned that they don't ever do it on a regular only change. It is only done with their 15k $500 check up which I never do because they are not giving you anything.
    I found out at 45,000 miles that nothing was ever greased under my truck after my personal mechanic greased everything; then inquiring with the dealer to find out that this is not part of an oil change 20+ point check up. Rediculous! I was gonna write a letter directly to Toyota & complain about this but never got around to it. What happened to the good all days where you simply throw a few squirts of grease in the fittings every oil change?? I believe the dealerships are intentionally doing this to unknowing customers so the can expect premature breakdown & the dealership will make huge profits this way. So do it yourself or inquire someplace else if they include this & don't give Toyota dealerships your business. I'll bet 99% of Tacoma owners don't know know their vehicles are not being greased regularly as they should be (every oil change).

11. Jun 11, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    What grease point are you talking about? The zerk's on your drive shafts?

12. Jun 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    :mad:garys05tacoma4x4;3295574]In regards to the dealership greasing the grease points under your truck I learned that they don't ever do it on a regular only change. It is only done with their 15k $500 check up which I never do because they are not giving you anything.
    I found out at 45,000 miles that nothing was ever greased under my truck after my personal mechanic greased everything; then inquiring with the dealer to find out that this is not part of an oil change 20+ point check up. Rediculous! I was gonna write a letter directly to Toyota & complain about this but never got around to it. What happened to the good all days where you simply throw a few squirts of grease in the fittings every oil change?? I believe the dealerships are intentionally doing this to unknowing customers so the can expect premature breakdown & the dealership will make huge profits this way. So do it yourself or inquire someplace else if they include this & don't give Toyota dealerships your business. I'll bet 99% of Tacoma owners don't know know their vehicles are not being greased regularly as they should be (every oil change).[/QUOTE]

13. Jun 12, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    According to Balise Toyota in West Springfield, MA; No they do not grease fittings drive shaft or any other parts on routine oil changes (5k per toy manual; I do every 3k). They claim it is ONLY done at their service intervals which may be 15K, 30K, 60K; who knows?
    I don't bring my vehicle in for those service intervals because they claim to CHECK everything (give u nothing) then charge you for parts that you probably don't need. I can pay a friend mechanic $40 to check everything and use the manual as my maintenance guide and get the job done for less than half the price of the dealer & actually know the work is getting done. Please let me know what your local dealer tells you if you decide to call. I would have to assume they do this for all Toyota vehicles; not just Tacoma's.
    I put a new air filter in for my rommate about 6 weeks ago. 2 weeks later she went in for an oil change and they told her she needed a new air filter for $50. CAN'T TRUST DEALERSHIPS; ATLEAST NOT THAT ONE. TELL YOUR FRIENDS THAT OWN ANY TOYOTA THAT HAS GREASE FITTINGS TO INQUIRE IF THEY ARE GETTING LUBED REGULARLY. My guess probably not. Hope this was helpful.

14. Jun 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Once I'm out of warranty, I use oil analysis to figure out when to change oil. I expect with the Tacoma I should be able to go 10,000 to 15,000 on Mobil 1.

On my previous vehicle, with a little high revving 4cyl in a small engine compartment, the Mobil 1 tested fine at 8,000+ miles. Probably could have gone 12,000, but I figured every 6 months or so wasn't unreasonable.

15. Jun 13, 2011 at 4:36 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I personally think the factory Toyota filters are a good bargain, I buy two per year from my not so hot dealer, if nothing else but establish a record of buying the filters from Toyota.

I usually put on about 12K per year and its a spring and late fall event in my front yard, when I change my oil. I usually do it between 5-6K, sometimes like last fall I only had 4,200 on the oil when it came time to change it for the winter.

Instead of turning my oil(Mobil 1) back to the store, I give it to my favorite mechanics who burn waste oil....as I try to collect waste oil from a couple of my friends too.

In the "old days" lol, it was easy to pick out the oil pan drain plug but now with a more vertical oil tank on the Tacoma's, however if you look carefully its pretty plain to see. MJEFF
    06, V6 SR5, Radiant Red, 6spd, bone stock.

16. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    Back40

Back40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 Dbl Cab
    I run M1 EP and PureOne 20195 filter for 10K in my 05 4.0L per the UOA.

17. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Thats very interesting about oil analysis , where did you get that done? Local in MA.? MJEFF

18. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    I got 125,698 miles on my '97 Tacoma. I used FRAM oil Filter and Castrol EDGE SYNTEC.

19. Jun 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    hotdog41

hotdog41 Member

Member:
    Pike Co. Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 2023 TRD OR
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Jun 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just curious we do oil analysis on all our equipment at work (cranes) so do you do your own or do ya send out to someone ? This is something i have been thinking about doing.

Products Discussed in

To Top