1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Care & Dealership Issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KnurledNut, May 1, 2011.

1. May 2, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Just a quick update. I did my first oil change on the Toyotacare at the dealership today @ 4800 miles. It wasn't quite 5000, but I'm about to tow a travel trailer 300 miles and didn't want to do it until I changed the oil from the original vehicle sale.

Anyways, I called them up @ 11:00a.m., they should to drop it off for my 2:00 appt. I dropped it off at 11:30 AM because I was heading to lunch instead. I got a call at 12:15p.m. and they said to come pick it up.

They rotated my tires, washed it (decently enough i suppose), and changed the oil, added some air to the tires, and was done in less than an hour with basically no appointment.

I'm hoping I've located a good dealership here, and if you're near Houston / Tomball, it's the Fred Haas on 249 near Spring Cypress Road, not the one on I-45 North. I don't know how they compare, but this one is very useful, and also has a parts department that know what they are talking about. One of the managers there even has a 4x4 TRD offroad supercharged and lifted up. It's pretty badass looking. That doesn't guarantee he knows what he's doing necessarily, but it does mean he likes the Tacos, and that can't hurt. He has been very knowledgeable and helpful to me tho.

2. May 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    +2 that is messed up.

It looks like all the dealer had to do was explain to the OP that he was covered by the Toyo-Care plan (in the Toyo-database) regardless of whether he had received paperwork or coupons saying it, which sounds like what the dealer told him after a year of not using it had already passed by.

Especially on the first visit where he specifically asked the management if his Toyota Care plan was activated yet.

3. May 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    I think you are missing the point he already had fresh oil in there. He did the last change a few days/week before he went there. So he really did not get a net gain here. And because the guy is telling his factual story does not make him a jerk. If he asked numerous times (6) then there is not much ground to say the dealership or Toyota is in the right here.

4. May 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    KnurledNut

KnurledNut [OP] Cracker in a Taco

Member:
    Sonova Beach
    Vehicle:
    '10 PreRunner SR5
    Finally someone understands!

Thanks...I owe you a pitcher or two.

5. Jul 26, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Some dealers blow while others do the right thing. We bought our 4Runner from one dealer here in Charlotte and their service dept blew. All the writers were assholes. Needless to say I went to another dealer after the first couple dealings with them and have been happy since. I do often try to befriend at least one writer as they will often make sure your vehicle is done right. The last writer I was friendly with would even offer his personal vehicle if he knew I was in a jam. This is why I have since bought my Tacoma from this dealer. Funny thing is I always knew I wanted a Tacoma but just never pulled the trigger on one. We brought the 4Runner in for service one Saturday and left with a new Tacoma. Will probably be purchasing another Runner or possibly a Sienna from this dealer next. Good service goes a long way. If they are dicks it not only hurts them in the service dept but also kills any chances of future vehicle purchases.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles with this dealer. Sounds to me like you need a new dealer and not for nothing, I'm a hot head too and probably would have treated them the same way.

6. Jul 27, 2011 at 5:14 AM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Sport
    So you went in for warranty work, they completed the warranty work and gave you another service for free - and you threw a fit? Even though you were not injured in any way by their action?

7. Jul 27, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    It's this attitude that makes people have to go off after being jerked around and have to fight to get what they were due to begin with or just be nice and take it while having their time and money wasted. He tried to get his service plan going several times, he just changed his shit out very recently because they weren't snapping, there is 45$ worth of oil and filter he paid for wasted by the asswipe dealership then they want to give him more shit about it. Fuck that noise, people need to start recognizing the root of the problem and focus on fixing that instead of trying to fix or complain about the result of the initial problem so it doesn't just keep happening. Bravo OP for standing up for yourself. If more people stood up for themselves then this shit would go on a lot less often. Bottom line was they did shit he didn't authorize nor was he informed of beforehand. NOT the way to do things.

8. Jul 27, 2011 at 6:45 AM
    Bloom

Bloom Well-Known Member

Member:
    NASCAR, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 BR DC TRD OR
    OME 885+Dakars, WeatherTech mats, EGR In Channel, PopNLock, Access LE, 3M tint and clear film paint protection, Sport grille, Amsoil, Zaino once in a while.
    Well done. I hope I have as much self control and the quick thinking you displayed if I find myself in a similar situation. Thanks for sharing!

9. Jul 27, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    Swanson52

Swanson52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm failing to understand how his oil change was wasted. They changed the oil, and he's going to drive 5k miles on it regardless of who put the oil in. They wasted their resources by changing oil that wasn't dirty, but in no way is OP 'out' his oil.

He's going to get through service intervals for the same $$ he would've spent anyway. The demand to replace the oil was unfounded and absolutely irrational.

10. Jul 27, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    It's been almost three months since the OP last posted. I'm wondering if he got another oil change at the dealer (and how it went) or if he did it himself.

11. Jul 27, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Since they offered him Toyota Synthetic oil, and since the interval recommended is longer than for regular dino oil, I'd venture a guess that they always use synthetic.

12. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Really? He's been spending his money and time doing maintenance himself because they couldn't get their shit together about his maintenance program that was supposed to be free for 2 yrs that is used as enticement to sell vehicles. He bought a vehicle. Then, he spent his money on an oil changes because of it and they dump it and out of the blue, without notice to him, just start doing the shit he'd been asking about repeatedly and getting nowhere with. All of the oil changes he's done were basically wasted money of his because the dealership should have been stepping up and doing them from the get go for free as they advertise. Yes, he protected his vehicle/investment by doing them himself and that wasn't a complete waste but that isn't the point here. The point is the dealership/Toyota didn't deliver on what gimmicks they are using to get people in there to buy stuff even after being asked repeatedly in this case.

13. Jul 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    Buddha4

Buddha4 Active Member

Member:
    CO
    cold air intake

My dealer told me do not wait for the booklet (I was moving when I bought the truck) If I was the OP I would be upset with myself for addressing the same issue six times. Why not call Toyota and follow up with them? The new dealer runs the VIN and performs the service the then OP is an A$$ demanding the replacement for synthetic. He should have mentioned that he did his own Oil change when it was dropped off. Be like bringing it in and demanding the dealer reimburse for the cost to fill the tires with nitrogen instead of "air" if they added any.
    I have used the service 5 times and never needed the booklet. every dealer enered the vin and I was good.

14. Jul 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    Swanson52

Swanson52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You're absolutely missing the point. :shaking:

15. Jul 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    wlmuncy

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Explain it to us.

16. Jul 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    wlmuncy

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    I take my car the mechanic all the time. I have never had to tell him that I changed the oil(s) or greased anything. He fixed the car, which is his job. He calls me if he needs to change the oil from doing that job. He also ask me what oil I use including grade and brand. So because he didn't tell them he changed the oil he is the ass. Did you cash your Toyota troll check today.

17. Jul 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    I agree. Don't let yourself be a victim of some clerical screwup. Go stand on someone's desk until they figure it out.

He did the right thing, changing oil himself in the meantime. I just don't understand why he turned into a 3-year old in K-Mart upon finding out that they renewed his week-old oil for free. Sure they should have asked, but... who cares...?

If they'd jacked something up then okay, but there is no harm here. It's like saying "they vacuumed out my truck! but I do all my own vacuuming! I demand satisfaction!" :confused:

18. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:07 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Here's the point you are absolutely missing....DO NOT PERFORM ANY REPAIRS, MAINTENANCE OR RECALLS WITHOUT NOTIFYING THE OWNER FIRST. You communicate and get authorization to fuck with someone else's property first. That one simple thing would have averted the whole mess. Any dealership or other repair place that does not do this is shady and should expect negative reactions to that bullshit practice.

Got any sane arguments for that?

19. Jul 29, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Power to you, all these people who say that's a jerk thing to do, maybe they should experience shit like this. Most of the time that is the only way to get attention from these slime balls. I would of done the same thing

20. Jul 29, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    What is said and done. Granted it's not what he wanted, he got paid back in the way he did. At least they did something that would benefit the car and they thought would benefit the OP. Yes, they should have asked permission but it could be worse.

A long time ago my friends who are twins took their Sentra and their Stanza in at the same time to get their oils changed for the first time. They bought the cars together and they were close in miles. They bought the filters at Kragen because they wanted the Fram type, not the generic kind that the chain oil changer place use. The guys got the car's oil filters mixed up and put each one on the wrong car.

The twins had plans to drive both cars to LA after they picked up the cars. Needless to say, both cars slowly lost oil and one actually blew the engine when they almost reached LA 7 hours later. They were stranded.

First the oil changer place blamed the girls for handing the guys the wrong filters and refused to take responsibility. Then the story changed and they said Kragen sold them the wrong filters.

Long story short, after almost a year of litigation and her being without a car, the Stanza finally had a rebuilt engine put in, and both cars never really drove the same. The Stanza's warranty was voided because the oil change place only agreed to have the engine put in at a place of their choice. The warranty on the rebuilt engine was three months.

Products Discussed in

To Top