1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Care oil changes - how often?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zul, May 6, 2012.

1. May 6, 2012 at 2:23 AM
    zul

zul [OP] Professional Goofball

Member:
    Oregon Territory
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    STOCK: DRL, Tow Package, All Weather Mats HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Color-matched Grille, Heated Wet Okoles, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails
    So I bought my Tacoma last December, and the oil sticker says come get the oil changed at 5k miles or May 7th, whichever comes first. But I only have ~2300 miles on my truck. Can I wait until I have 5k on it to have them change it for free? Or will waiting that long void some kind of Toyota Care warranty?

One more question: I plan to have them put full synthetic in the tank when they change the oil. Synthetic lasts longer - is it ok to wait 7500 miles between changes or will they stop honoring the toyota care deal if I wait so long?

I know I should learn to change my own oil - and I want to - but it's not something I want to rush and screw up so I figured I'll take advantage of the free oil changes before I invest in some proper equipment and training (AKA watch some buddies do it first)

2. May 6, 2012 at 3:53 AM
    06ryan27

06ryan27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    12 DBL 4x4 SPORT
    3" RBP lift, anytime fogs
    Putting full synthetic in the "tank", yeah, I'd get some instruction from some buddies first. I would follow their direction to the t so they dont find some kind of stupid loop hole in the warranty incase anything were to happen. So change it by the date. I say 7500 is fine on a full synthetic oil, but Id take advantage of the free conventional changes first. Also when you do go to a full synthetic date should still be an issue on your own, oil breaks down over time and milage.

3. May 6, 2012 at 4:57 AM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB SR5 V6
    I think if your normal driving only brought you to 2300 miles in the specified amount of time, i'd have them change it. You only get a certain number of free oil changes from Toyota Care so waiting til 5000 is going to screw you out of a few on the end. Basically your 2 or 3 years is gonna be up and you'll be on your 4th oil change if you go by miles.

I'd also stick with conventional until Toyota Care is over, again, because of cost to you.

4. May 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    zul

zul [OP] Professional Goofball

Member:
    Oregon Territory
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    STOCK: DRL, Tow Package, All Weather Mats HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Color-matched Grille, Heated Wet Okoles, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails
    It was late and I was tired when I posted the thread, forgive my mistake :D

Thanks for the input guys. I'll call my local dealer.

5. May 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Every 5000 miles

6. May 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Diego ca
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB 4x4 FTMFW
    It's 6 months or every 5k miles for 2 years else you might void the warranty. My dealer puts synthetic in anyways and they will change it at 5k mile or 6 months. Take advantage of it, cheaper on the wallet and only helps your vehicle.

7. May 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Have them put it in the engine instead.

8. May 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    It's every 5,000 or 6 months...whichever comes first (at least while your under warrenty.) I've had to change mine out with as little as 900 miles on it at 6 months...:eek:

To Top