1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota charging me $$$ for frame replacement.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Riodelarosa, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Nov 19, 2019 at 2:34 AM
    Riodelarosa

Riodelarosa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Silver o2003 Tacoma 3.4L V6
    Grill guard, rain visors, bug deflector, custom luggage bars on canopy
    Ok, Monday update.
    I talked to the DOJ today and the person handling my complaint explained that what they can do is assist in facilitating informal dispute resolution and maintain public record of consumer complaints, but that they can't give legal advice to either the business or customer. So they can't respond to whether Toyota violated specific laws, I'd need a lawyer for that. He did say that he talked to the service manager and asked a bunch of questions regarding the parts list, 2 years it took to finish the job, and whether anything was in writing. He said that conversation and any notes pertaining to correspondence are public record, which I can request and use as documentation should I pursue legal action. So I filled out a public record request today for all documents and notes pertaining to my complaint file.

I spoke with one more lawyer today that was recommended by the Oregon State Bar Lawyer referral service, and he said he was going to have the other lawyer who works in his office call me back. In the meantime, I am researching breach of contract and trying to find anything online about cases or legal advice similar to mine. But been having a hard time with that.

I made a recorded phone call to the mechanic shop who did the work on my truck and specifically asked how decisions were made regarding disassembly such as how to deal with the exhaust system components, and who authorized the parts that were ordered. He told me that he sent a list of parts he wanted to the dealership service manager, and they simply ordered the parts and sent them over. That would have been a very opportune moment (having bypassed informing me they were trashing my exhaust system) to seek my authorization for how to proceed. The mechanic basically said his chain of command was with Mcminnville Toyota, and it was then Mcminnville Toyotas responsibility to seek further authorization from me... It was not the mechanic's responsibility to seek my authorization directly. I basically agree with him there. The dealership subbed the job, its their responsibility to make sure it's done right. Ther dealership service manager has always been my point of contact, he should have ensured proper communication. I'm going to follow up with an email to the mechanic and just restate what we discussed in the phone call and ask a few more questions. I told him already I was going to file a lawsuit against the dealership, so I want to try to get him to throw Toyota under the bus as much as possible in order to make sure none of the blame gets put on him.

2. Nov 19, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    It's not really throwing the Service Manager (SM) under the bus if he states the facts. Proof is that he submitted the list and Mcminnville just ordered parts and sent them. It was up to the SM to question any and all parts if there something beyond what Toyota Corp would cover. The SM took on the responsibility of the project and it is his responsibility to see that it was completed effectively, efficiently, and within guidelines. Clearly SM dropped the ball and passed off the project to an outside vendor (mechanic) without oversight. His problem, not necessarily yours (although yes you have to fight to prove it wasn't your fault).

Good luck man :thumbsup:

Jeff Lange, GQ7227 and cruiserguy like this.
  3. Nov 23, 2019 at 12:43 AM
    p1smo

p1smo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 3.4L 5MT
    Relentless Stealth front + Relentless standard rear plate bumpers w/ D2 cutouts, 2x Rigid D2 floods front + 2x Rigid flush D2 floods rear, BAMF behind-the-grille light bar mount w/ 2x Rigid 6" bar floods, KING coilovers/springs + rear adjuster shocks, Deaver leaf springs, Total Chaos UCAs, BAMF rock sliders, BAMF LCA skids, Relentless front skid, Low-Range Off-Road gas tank skid, Marlin differential plate cover, Marlin E-Locker motor guard, Hawke HD brake pads, Trail Gear steel brake line kit, Marlin HD full clutch assembly, deckplate intake mod + AFE high flow filter, ARB CKMA12, exhaust dumped over rear axle, 32/11.5r15 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, American Racing Baja 15x8, Viper alarm + fuel cutoff switch, and more Toyota OEM parts + replacements than I care to list
    Don’t tell them you’re retaining an attorney. Let the dealer continue unaware while you document everything and get your affairs in order. If/when you do retain representation, the attorney will speak for you. Until that time however, just keep that information to yourself.

4. Nov 25, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Minimag95

Minimag95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Niles
    Annapolis, MD
    Vehicle:
    2009 Pyrite Mica V6 SR5 4x4
    OME's w/ 887 Coils, SPC UCA's, 285 ST Maxx. Mobtown sliders & skid
    Any update?

5. Nov 26, 2019 at 12:36 AM
    Sebz13

Sebz13 appy polly loggies

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab, 99 3 Link SC ext cab.
    a dropped one and a high one
    This thread has been mindblowing to me.

I just had my frame replaced in feb of this year on my 04. The service manager called me if they needed to replace ANY part or how they wanted me to proceed every step of the way during the process of warranty replacement. The dealer even let me purchase aftermarket parts that I wanted to put on, I.e Poly cab mounts and things of that sort. It is pretty amazing because my dealer is pretty small compared to some other toyota dealerships out there.

Point of my post, they were in constant communication and offered multiple options on how I wanted to proceed and the costs associated with them.

They let me bring in parts I wanted to replace based on things told to me on the forums of stuff that would be beneficial to replace.

I ended up paying them something like 15 dollars all said and done for something that was non warranty. They replaced a lot of things and from the time of ordering the frame and to picking up the truck I think it was a total of 3 months, with constant updates from my dealer.

They also said my exhaust was rusty and ASKED if I wanted to replace it with OEM, go aftermarket after the frame swap, or leave as is and attempt to put on the best they could. Which I opted for that.

6. Nov 26, 2019 at 12:39 AM
    Jasonstacoma

Jasonstacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 dcsb Barcelona red
    Stock
    Plain and simple they are trying to fuck him over and thought they would have no issue doing it. Hopefully the op fights this to the end

7. Nov 26, 2019 at 12:53 AM
    Sebz13

Sebz13 appy polly loggies

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab, 99 3 Link SC ext cab.
    a dropped one and a high one
    @Empty_Lord can touch on it, its advantageous for dealers to do this work, I think they end up huge on labor to bill to toyota if im not mistaken.

8. Nov 26, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    Kleenax

Kleenax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4WD V6 Auto - Mica Green
    New frame & stuff CBI bolt-on Sliders
    Toyota corporate should still step up and handle this if you get hold of the right people. I would try getting hold of someone at Toyota Legal dept.

9. Jan 9, 2020 at 5:43 PM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco Encyclopedia of useless information...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 Zombie Truck
    What's the latest here?

GQ7227 and CrustyTaco like this.
  10. Jan 9, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    TacoTaco02

TacoTaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    02 Ext Cab SR5 TRD 4x4 V6
    Was just about to ask the same thing tonight!

11. Jan 11, 2020 at 9:11 PM
    Jasonstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 dcsb Barcelona red
    Stock
    Updates ?

PennSilverTaco likes this.
  12. Jan 14, 2020 at 7:03 PM
    SurfInferno

SurfInferno Dont be stupid, its not smart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 DC
    How does this story end?

13. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:42 PM
    Jasonstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 dcsb Barcelona red
    Stock
    Maybe toyota had him offed?

Cucvfan likes this.
  14. Jan 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM
    Kleenax

Kleenax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4WD V6 Auto - Mica Green
    New frame & stuff CBI bolt-on Sliders
    YIKES!

15. Jan 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Fulton246

Fulton246 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    An attorney may have advised not to post about it online, at least not until it is resolved.

16. Jan 21, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    Fearthisbeard

Fearthisbeard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Gilbert AZ
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    We will never know :(

17. Jan 21, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    crazytacoman

crazytacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoman
    Taco World
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 doublecab & 07 4.0 doublecab
    Color Wheels
    This is one of the spicier stories I’ve read about on here. Perhaps the spiciest?

Can’t wait to find out how it ends. Hopefully that dealer gets what they deserve.

18. Jan 21, 2020 at 8:09 PM
    Jasonstacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 dcsb Barcelona red
    Stock
    He is gonna get fucked, sucks.

19. Jan 22, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    tacomainthesun

tacomainthesun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02(sold) 17 trd or
    Who else rides clapped out to avoid this?:anonymous:

20. Jan 22, 2020 at 6:15 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    I'm not quite hip to the slang you youths use.... What does clapped out mean?:anonymous::D

Products Discussed in

To Top