1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota doesnt want to fix their mistakes!!! READ THIS

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by R.etheridge, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    I plan on taking mine in to get it checked soon. I'll let you know what they say when I get it there. The dealership here knows about the recall.

2. Jun 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Premium 6MT
    You didn't go to pitts toyota, did you? This recall is in effect for all tacoma's, they just miss-read the statement. DblCabMN nailed it on the facts of the recal. Stop whining and get informed and you'll get much further. One call to corporate and you'll get straightened out.

3. Jun 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Toyota didn't make the frames.

4. Jun 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    JeffsJeep04

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Premium 6MT
    And I'd add that this is most likely a dealer issue, not toyota. From my personal experience, toyota is MORE then helpful with this, even with a bad dealer.

5. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    R.etheridge

R.etheridge [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Middle GA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    I called corporate, thats who told me that they couldnt do anything. Im not trying to get toyota to buy the truck back I just want the frame re sprayed with undercoating or a new frame thats it. I have a claim number and will call my dealership to see if they can work something out with corporate, I just think its toyota's responsability to at the least inspect my frame if I, the customer, have any concerns. Then IMO they would have the right to tell me that the frame is good or bad. And I am a toyota customer, for some of us that cant read, I have owned 3 including this on, one, a camery that was bought new. 2nd gen guys, always try to be the assholes but they come on the 1st gen section and look like morons ( most of you, not all) This is a toyota problem because if the frame has rust, then that means the undercoating that they used in 2003 has failed, salt roads or not! I have a 14 year old honda civic that my brother drove in virginia for 5 years while in collage with no rust on the frame, explain that. Like I said, im not cryin about it I just wanted to fair warn everyone if your not in one of the selected states, then toyota basically says its not their problem, even if the vehicle was not bought in the state that it currently sits in.
    So, I should go to my dealer, even though I buy the truck from them?

6. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    JeffsJeep04

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Premium 6MT
    Your truck is of the age range covered and is less then 15 years old, so what was the reason they gave you for not covering it? Did it have something to do with the fact that you just bought it? I'd like to know if there is a minimum length of ownership before anything can be done. I'd like to get my 02 inspected, and it's due for it's yearly inspection. Previous owner got it checked out last april.

7. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    R.etheridge

R.etheridge [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Middle GA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    the age range is 95.5-2000 and you, the owner, have up to 15 years to make a claim and get the frame taken care of. like if you have a 2000 model you have until 2015 to file a claim and get it inspected

8. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    JeffsJeep04

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Premium 6MT
    That was the original age range. Toyota has since extended it to include the 01-04 trucks, most of which are getting the frames (and many suspension components) replaced rather then the truck being crushed. I'd have gladly gotten my 96 fixed given the option.

9. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Gl hauling with your honda accord, lolz.

10. Jun 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4

Also, my dad's 1st gen has showed 0 signs of rust. Not a wise idea to buy from up north. That said, try a different dealership. Dealerships aren't owned by Toyota, and often you'll find that simply by going to a more reputable shop you'll find a tech or service advisor that actually knows what the hell they're doing.

11. Jun 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    All first Gen Tacomas are covered, the difference being that trucks up to 2000 get the inspection and spray if they pass and a buyback if they don't. 2001-2004 get the inspection and the frame replaced if necessary, but my understanding was that you had till Oct 2010 to get the inspection done, when you bought the truck had nothing to do with it. I bought mine in Oct 2009 and took it in for an inspection in Jan 2010 and would have gone in earlier but the dealership was swamped. The reason the dealers are giving you a hard time may well be that the deadline for inspection has passed and also they don't do very good financially on it, so if they can get away with it they will. Someplace here on the forum, I think in the stickies is a copy of the original letter sent out by Toyota, you should check that out. Some people here have gotten their frames done after the Oct. 2010 date but there may well have been other reasons they got it done.

12. Jun 7, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Sorry boys and girls...TOYOTA does take care of its mistakes ....my '02 was re-framed ( frames were built state side) on their dime PLUS new lower BJ's......My Ford and Jeep friends with bad frames ????

My Camrys have had "campaigns" and ALL have been taken care of...My 3.0 V-6' 4-Runner had their headgaskets redone on TOYOTA's dime.....

UNCLE SAM took TOYOTA to the "CLEANERS" and guess what???? UNCLE F)(*&^%$ up...no true wrong doing on TOYOTA's part....

You are unhappy, please go find a "Make" that will make you happy....others have....I Did give Ford another chance and sadly the Ranger could not "morph' into a Taco soon enough....

TOYOTA sucked when it went to # 1...Obama Motors U$ed our money to regain that status.....PLEASE keep it....

I have owned TOYOTA's since 1981 and have ALWAYS been treated well...7 of them doing (100k +) without cleaning my wallet out....

(Kmoks post below explains it BEST......)

13. Jun 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    BoostingMS6

BoostingMS6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Tacoma Xtra Cab V6
    ^ This.

I'm a little shocked with a lot of the responses bashing the OP. Clearly most of the people responding here need to do some more research.

Buying a truck that the OP knew had rust issues may have been a bad idea. Buying a truck with a rusted frame for cheap, that is 100% eligible for Toyota fixing the rust issues, is actually a pretty damn good idea. This guy potentially got a steal because the previous owner didn't know that "rust" shouldn't have been a factor in the purchase, as Toyota has already agreed to fix them.

That said, OP, your first post came out as a little stand offish (internet, perhaps?), which people just took offense to. Search a little bit on this site, as well as TTORA if need be, and you'll figure out the correct way to approach your situation. I'd say not to worry -- you'll get it taken care of eventually.

Edit: I don't know if its 100% eligible for rust treatment, as I'm unsure if there's a minimum time of ownership. But other than that, he's good.

14. Jun 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    This ^

15. Jun 7, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Dont give up! Start a paper trail. Take the good helpful advice that's been given to you on here, and discard the other opinions.

16. Jun 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    I'm curious... I know at my dealership, I can look up pertinent info on the corp website and it will say things like "class IV car" which means salvage title, no warranty ever. Do we know the status of the car? I'm wondering if there's another reason they're unwilling to cover it. I mean, it shouldn't be ok to buy a p.o.s. and expect a company to take the loss fixing stuff on it. I'm just wondering if we're getting the whole story? Btw, I'm a second gen douchebag that had a 1st gen with the recall.

17. Jun 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    No sense bashing Toyota for rusty frames no other manufacture would even give you the time of day if you had a rusty frame and trust me Toyota is not the only small truck with frame issues but they are the only ones that fessed up to it.

18. Jun 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    As a first generation owner I was very happy with the way Toyota handled the situation. Sounds to me like you figured you were getting a bang-up deal and figured you were going to get a buyback or new frame. I know you say you only wanted a respray. But if it was that good of a deal that you got, just fork over the money for the spray at a local shop. Your truck is almost (or is) 8 years old, bought used, and bought knowing there was a rust issue and you're still looking for a warranty on it. Toyota has to draw the line somewhere.

19. Jun 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    x6 (if I counted correctly).

Also, OP, check out http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...me-recall-advice-post3092192.html#post3092192 for copies of the relevant "WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM" and the related "Limited Service Campaign" documents. (Note that neither of these is a true "recall".)

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but as I read those documents... Owners in "unincluded" states "do not need to to do anything at this time," but many (all?) of our trucks ARE included in the list of affected VINs. According to the LSC letter, only owners in CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV are eligible for the "corrosion resistant treatment." It appears, however, that ALL VINs listed in the "WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT" are covered by the 15 year warranty extension. Those eligible for the LSC must undergo inspection/treatment to maintain that coverage, while the rest of us need do nothing.

20. Jun 7, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    your truck flat out does not match the model years that they are willing to cover for rust. so i'm not understanding what your complaining about other than the fact your truck has rust at all. although if you and your father have owned many toyotas in the past rust should not really be something new to you guy's. sorry your truck is rusting out though that sucks and i do feel for you on that one.

Products Discussed in

To Top