1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Extends Brake Override To Tacomas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BlueTacoman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I could be wrong , but I think the driveshaft recall is only for a small number of 2010's ,

OZ

2. Mar 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    That's right, Oz. Only 8000 vehicles total, most of which never made it to, or off of dealer lots. Nissan and Ford also used the same shafts and yokes but both determined there was no risk. I think Toyota is just reacting out of an abundance of caution here. My guess is we're going to see a lot more recalls like this over the next year or so as Toyota seeks to clear the air and right the ship.

3. Mar 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I think everyone needs a brake override system on there Tacoma like they need a hole in their head.

The inability of drivers to make the decision of pulling the 'run away' vehicle out of drive and turning off the ignition could be looked at as a win - win for everyone. Darwinism at its greatest.

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 12:04 AM
    Disorderly

Disorderly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why do we have drive by wire anyways? Was there something wrong with the old cable?

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    Twirlin

Twirlin Nature just gets the blow-by

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey
    i called my dealer's service dept and had a few questions answered about the break override.

first off, it wasn't done to mine when i took it in for the rear spring TSB. second, the brake override DOES only kick in above 30mph.
    third, only applys if the break is applied AFTER the gas (can still do burnouts fellas:D)

want to confirm that it can be disabled by disabling VSC with the push of a button. anyone know for certain?

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The dealer will be doing none of these retarded mods on my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    That's good they're telling you some details about it. Sounds like it has been thoughtfully designed.

I would be very surprised if they included a way to disable this new safety feature.

Based on technical documentation I have seen it is unlikely that the VSC OFF switch would be used in this manner. But I guess we can only speculate until we see actual technical documentation.

8. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    I think they should also look at this :

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/57552-brake-pedal-too-close-boot.html

I am surprised that only 2 of us noticed this. Now that I've driven it more, I consciously brake with the front my shoe to avoid it but it still happens every time I step on the brake fast. This truck is supposed to go to my daughter when she drives and I am concerned about this more than anything else.

9. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    amati5, Interesting comments in your referral thread from October 2009. I have not noticed that, or experienced the problem you wrote about. I could see how it would be a problem! Next time I am in my truck I'll visually inspect to see.

10. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    Very easy to replicate: Just do a panic brake (where it's safe) and you'll hit that boot with the front of your shoe. Unless you sit close enough that your leg is more vertical to the floor and when you brake, you press downward more than forward.

11. Mar 4, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    btkicker

btkicker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Reg Cab Manual

I have noticed this as well.

I just :shug: it off because I have size 15 feet.

12. Mar 5, 2010 at 12:59 AM
    tacomaparty

tacomaparty Well-Known Member

Member:
    i was skeptical about this brake override until the sudden acceleration actually happened to me this morning.

i was on the freeway traveling 50 mph in moderate traffic when this construction truck decided to turn into my lane, i was either in his blind spot or he was being a dick. i gave it a quick punch to avoid a collision when i felt my rpm's kept climbing as i was no longer on the pedal. i panicked and tried to apply the brakes to no response so i tapped the shifter into neutral. at this point my car is still accelerating in redline. finally the car snaps out of it and i have control again, i slow down and shift back into D and continue my commute to school.

this scared the hell out of me. i do have floor mats but i honestly don't believe they were stuck. they never shift out of place, these are the clear mats that have a cut out right where the dead pedal is. just to be safe i threw them out.

now in the past i have noticed a few times there have been a slight lunge in acceleration just after the transmission switches gears. i love my taco. today i've accepted that i've been in denial and have been hoping, wishing that there isn't a problem. but for the safety of myself and my passengers, i am going to make sure this problem is noted before anyone one gets hurt. i would hate for anything serious to happen and leave people wondering. i need to report this issue pronto.

i wonder if this could be something as simple as a stuck throttle body???

-disheartened owner of a 2005 AC PreRunner V6 Auto 90,000+miles.

13. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    How long have you owned the truck?

It seems odd that many of these stories are coming out now that the issue is in the news. Had there not been a recall or recent notification on this, I wonder how you would have handled the issue? Would you just chalk it up to a rare fluke or would you act on it (call the dealership or company)?

In other words, your truck is a 2005 - that's 5 years and this is the 1st time it has happened? Seems odd. I'm not doubting you; I'm just curious why this issue wasn't noticed a long time ago. Why were 5 more years of trucks manufactured with the same issue?

14. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    x2

At this point I'll take it at face value. But I too question the timeliness of these events. Why now, Why today/yesterday?

15. Mar 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    tacomaparty...did you have the cruise control engaged when that happened?

16. Mar 5, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    If he had cruise control on it would have disabled when he pressed the brake.

17. Mar 5, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    And it could have accidentally been resumed by hitting it with your knee.

18. Mar 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    tacomaparty

tacomaparty Well-Known Member

Member:
    i've had the car since last summer, bought it used. my tacoma doesn't have cc.

19. Mar 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    It's the floor mats. No cut the bottom of the accelerator. No put a shim in the accelerator. No do a brake override system. I'm confused.:confused:

20. Mar 5, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    x2

Products Discussed in

To Top