1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Falls to Number 3 Auto Manufacurer

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by SilverTacoEater, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Nov 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No. But VW DEFINITELY does a better job of making cars women want to buy. And that's pretty much all that matters.

Alongside that, Toyota quality is also not what it once was.

2. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    SilverTacoEater

SilverTacoEater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    I just think the earthquake really did take that much of a toll on them in terms of manufacturing.

I'm not some expert or anything but Toyota makes the best vehicles in each class, give or take a few, even with the quality issues. I mean the vehicles from the 80's and 90' only needed AC and power steering. Now the have to have bluetooth, navigation, smooth ride, seats fit for a king and the car has to give bj's in order for customers to consider the vehicle. So what i'm saying is it was easier to satisfy the customer then versus now.

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    +1

They are referring to profits not quality. The Toyota dealership near me has 1 Tacoma, 1 Rav4 and some Camry for sale and that's it. They can't get new vehicles and, as a result, 3 to 4 year old used vehicles are selling at a premium!!

4. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    You're not wrong in that vehicles are becoming more complex and it's harder to maintain quality levels. And yes, Toyota does still make some of the better cars out there.

But Hyundai is eating their lunch.

Frankly, I could do with some simpler vehicles...especially trucks with vinyl flooring, manual shift transfer cases, and front axles...

5. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Weather it be quality or profits, toyota not being #1 anymore means they have something to work towards, which can only benefit the consumer

6. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
    How's the weather?

[​IMG]

7. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Fuck you!!
    im on meh fones

8. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Your phone causes you to mix up whether and weather? Impressive.

What was that saying? Oh yea, and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Sorry for the OT (wait, this is in OT...) I do hope that this puts a fire under Toyota - whether it was the quality dropping or just the issues they had in Japan of late, they need something to jolt them. I know my 2nd gen Taco can't hold a candle to my dad's 99 4runner or even his old 90 pickup...

9. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    totallywhite

totallywhite Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    denver
    Vehicle:
    superwhite dc off-road
    Also don't forget the runaway vehicle hysteria from last year didn't help either.

10. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Amen! I'm sure the earthquake /tsunami had alot to do with it too. All I know is before that all happened my dealership had fj's all over the place. Went to look at them the other day and they only had 2 on the lot.

11. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    I love my Taco and am lucky enough to have a truck and a daily driver (2012 vw tdi jetta wagon) and my wife drives a 2009 pasat wagon. After driving 2 German engineered cars I am not surprised to see VW on the rise. still love the taco for camping trips and any chance I get to get off the pavement but the VW's are incredibly nice to drive.

12. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    ...are you butthurt because my phone corrected to the wrong "weather"?
    if so, your farts must be forever silent.

IMO, that was just a ridiculous show of how stupid our society has become. Once the "me too!"bullshit was done with and the reports came out it was just a blemish on toyotas record. But the earthquake and tsunami definately hurt.
    even though its not on the news that much, japan is still hurting big time.

13. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Don't worry, it won't last long...they've adopted Toyota's strategy of making cheaper-to-build plasti-boxes:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/08/review-2011-volkswagen-jetta/#more-362300

14. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    You are right about that! Sad.. I was originally looking at the jetta sedan for a daily driver but the interior was pretty basic. Also looked at the new pasat but have to say the 2012 is a bit of a letdown and I was not ready to move to a CC. I will say my wife's wagon has been the most reliable car we have ever owned. It already has 90k and has had zero issues (knock on wood). I will say both VW's suck off road so i'll keep the taco for sure!

15. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    SilverTacoEater

SilverTacoEater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    With the current economic climate it's hard to produce a vehicle of the same quality as before with more gadgets and gizmos integrated. It was easy back in the late 80's and early 90's to produce vehicles of higher quality for cheaper prices because people had money to spend and the expectation for features was limited to power steering AC and disk breaks.
    Plus i don't think there would be much of a market for a vehicle with solid axels (harsher ride), manual shifter (no one can drive one anymore) and vinyl flooring (people want carpet) for the few people like you and me would want.

You're article is interesting though. It looks like it's not only Toyota that has to look for cheaper ways to produce vehicles but all manufacturers.

16. Nov 8, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    I am in no way, shape, or form 'butthurt' because you can't use your phone.

I was just giving you shit, don't take it so seriously.

17. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    ^ yep

18. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    220,000 miles on my VW TDi 50+mpg leather and all the stuff I would love to have in my Taco including a diesel. It's not so much woman as it is Chinese, VW,s biggest market is China (they are #1) and it is a huge market. By the way VW was #1 in sales last year before Japan's problems.

19. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Not really. Refinement of technology makes it cheaper to produce. Calculators once costs hundreds. You can get them now for $5 or less. The same goes with features like bluetooth, MP3 headunits, and navi. They don't cost near what they used to.

Toyota's biggest cost problem (and this goes for Honda, Nissan, and Mazda too) is the strength of the Japanese Yen against foreign currencies. It makes it very fucking hard to sell exported vehicles at a profit.

They like money.

20. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    haha i don't care what toyota has to do to fix the squeaky blower motor saggy leaf springs and the throw out bearing issues but, they need to make it happen.

it should have been rectified by now imo the 2nd gen tacoma has been on us soil for a long ass time now and despite the complaints from their customers they keep producing the same way it seems counter productive to me. the us market is really what gave toyota a global foot hold so why not bestow on us the quality and attention to detail that made them famous in the first place?

i love my tacoma but, it has fucking issues! lol my truck is now just one year old and unfortunately it has the squeaky bower motor thing bad really bad! the throw out bearing makes it sound like the diesel that toyota should have made an option in the us and the clutch is absolutely horrible in every sense of the word. not to mention the saggy leaf springs or the fact that these problems have been brought to multiple dealers attention and still not one fuck was given.

imo it seems like they have slipped a good bit in terms of quality control and r&d. that slip is now rearing it's ugly head in the vehicles we drive every day.

i drove a first gen 4x4 regular cab around in 2004 that was in a pretty bad accident and that truck felt light years ahead of my 2010 when it was new i don't understand?

Products Discussed in

To Top