1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

--TOYOTA FIBERGLASS GUIDE-- Glassworks, Fiberwerx, McNeil, Hannemann

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by nelson18matt, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2020 at 12:20 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Fiberglass sucks in most cases - more you cut and make custom mounting points, the better it'll make it fit in my experience.

Jerez likes this.
  2. Apr 29, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    Jrgymie

Jrgymie Tuf MuddR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Glastonbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB CEMENT TRD SPORT 4x4

So with my McNeil 3" glass fender/bedsides:

I ordered them last July and they arrived damaged (Not McNeil's fault, damaged during shipping). Although not severe damage, McNeil did graciously send out two new parts at no charge. However, it took 3 months to get the parts with insurance claims with the shipper, etc.

Fiberglass is notorious for having not the best consistency in quality/shape of product. Each piece I got was slightly different from the others and several on TW have said it can take a lot of patience and time to get the fiberglass to fit well. Since I didn't have the time or patience to deal with lining up or shaping the fiberglass, I bit the bullet and had my local autobody shop install and paint the fenders. During the process, they pointed out all the slight imperfections in regards to shape and finish of the McNeil fenders but said this is not uncommon with glass. They thought McNeil fiberglass was not the best product, but was "above average" from their experience.

For me as well, the rear topside portion of both bedsides had the most issues. The topside of the bedside did not completely align with the top of the tailgate. Since I have an OEM tonneau cover, there is a slight gap. However, overall I am pleased with how they came out but I give a ton of credit to my local autobody shop as they spent a lot of time prepping the glass even before paint.

I ordered the T4R fuel filler pipe which works awesome. It was a $40 part Toyota part # 77213-35370

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    jeff b likes this.
  3. May 1, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    Norilsk

Norilsk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!

can you take picture of the filler neck extension you did? Maybe I am missing something but the hose and neck at the gas tank is different from the pictures here around on my TuRD gen.

4. May 2, 2020 at 4:40 AM
    Jrgymie

Jrgymie Tuf MuddR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Glastonbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB CEMENT TRD SPORT 4x4
    So I was incorrect about using the T4R part. I had purchased the neck extender but my auto body guy said he was able to get the filler neck to attach without using that modification. I had provided the part but he never used it. Here are some pics of it installed. hope this helps.

DpxrXFtzTTipNzAoPAOxYw.jpg IVFKSGO0RwG4D2f3XRa4vw.jpg

FYI my auto body guy spent a total of 52 hours fitting, installing, prepping and painting the fiberglass which probably would have equalled about 100 hours of my unprofessional time trying to install these. I think some of us underestimate how much work fiberglass takes to get it to look nice. I give props to those guys who have done it themselves.

I still have to install the fender liners which I will tackle myself but this is a monster project from start to finish.

5. May 6, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    Hawk373

Hawk373 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    DMZ, ADS, King, JFR, SOS, ECGS, LSK
    I had a horrible experience with McNeil. The bedsides I have are a complete joke. After years of seeing other reviews my theory is they make bad batches of fenders and they wait for an East Coaster or Canadian, etc to off load the worst of them thinking we’ll just avoid dealing with the hassle of returns or whatever.

I had to do extensive modifications and repairs to fit front and back and that was after 3 months of lies and broken promises after the first two sets arrived damaged. The second delivery was the exact same bedside even further damaged. (The silver lining is I’ve become very skilled with polyester resin.)

They actually shipped the first set and never notified me, the freight terminal called me up after a month of them sitting there asking if I was ever coming to pick them up.

This is a very shortened abridged version of everything that happened.

I have Fiberwerx now and there’s a huge difference in layup quality; so much better than McNeil.
    No goopy resin blobs and porosities covered up with shitty black paint. No gobs of blue body filler at all the edges and tabs spray painted white to fake gelcoat. I originally avoided Fiberwerx and Glassworks (Advanced) because of past scandalous write ups. Seems as though they’ve both improved drastically and McNeil is still carrying on that old tradition of offroad glass mediocrity.

I’m glad to see they take care of their local community more or less, but one day compare the quality of other companies’ glass if you ever get the chance, it’s easily noticeable.

Dekoy909 and Norilsk[QUOTED] like this.
  6. May 6, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    The weird thing is McNeil and Fiberwerx both operate within the same family - but go with the best for your gen - my Fiberwerx bedsides looked like they had completely different molds for each side that didn't have a mirror image, but literally looked like they were made from two separate processes.

7. May 6, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    Hawk373

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    I think there are relations between the two that separated on bad terms long ago. The guys at McNeil we’re truly awful to me and I have an album devoted to all the problems I had with them. And please understand, not normal fitment issues prima donnas complain about, extensive body work and quality issues and blatant coverups.

My Fiberwerx have close to an aviation quality layup.

I don’t want to bicker over it, but my experiences between both companies was night and day.

30F7518C-AE87-4062-9021-968DADEB2A3A.jpg 4B69F041-F6CE-4B95-96AF-D93C32176524.jpg

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 6, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    No worries @Hawk373 - it’s not the average family that says “we’re gonna get involved in a dirty, toxic debris filled industry and make it work.” McNeil and Fiberwerx are cousins, AFS is son of Glassworks etc. I literally meant go with the best glass that fits your gen. Can’t play favorites even the fenders and bedsides from a company can have different quality fitment depending on what’s happening when they’re built or how long it’s been that they’ve been using the same mold and not checked to see what’s happening on customers trucks.

9. May 6, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    Norilsk

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!
    well, I am glad I am not alone with this. This is a good thread for those out on the East to see how McNeil treats customers aka "they don't care". I'll make sure to link this thread if I get asked.

10. May 6, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    Hawk373

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    I think I received a run of fenders from Fiberwerx after they started CNC milling their molds. I think that’s the step they needed take to make Carbon Fiber a possibility. You can’t really work that material too far before the finish is spoiled even after a repair, so the allowable tolerance is small. (I’ve only seen raptor owners spring for the extra expense so far.)

I’ve pointed a few local guys towards Advanced and all have had good things to say as well, the son reinvented that company brilliantly.

11. May 6, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Yes but I have their fronts which suck too lol. 2nd 3rd gen guys got more options due to a bigger market

12. May 6, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Hawk373

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    I forgot you had the best gen too.

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
  14. May 6, 2020 at 3:43 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    My McNeil bedsides fit just enough to not piss me off but I consider myself extremely lucky considering they have bad rep in inconsistent molds. If I had to do it over adv glass without exception or road runner knowing atleast I didn’t pay shit for it. McNeil can get butt hurt pretty fast too.

That said though if my taillights weren’t black the one inch gaps at the top would drive me nuts.

Hawk373[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 6, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    Hawk373

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    I had to do some really creative modifications to get rid of the excessive reveal around the tail lights.

I removed most of the material at the back of the bedsides and then drilled the spot welds and scavenged those pieces off the steel sides to get the lights mounted.

You’d have to take a look at a truck to understand, but I had to hop the bedside to the inside back by the lights to suck up the excess reveal around the lights, then remove a bunch of material so the gate could close.

I’m going to stop, I’m spiraling into a long boring, annoying account.

Coot83[QUOTED], Dalandser and Norilsk like this.
  16. May 6, 2020 at 5:58 PM
    Norilsk

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!
    Well, I am glad truth is out. Maybe this will help those that were looking into McNeil fibreglass and point them in other direction.

I own front and back, but wish I not. :luvya:

17. May 10, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    BertH2O

BertH2O Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Pro AC
    I must have gotten lucky...I received my McNeil fenders this past Tuesday and mounted them yesterday. I ordered April 15th, they arrived May 5, not bad...never got any email saying they shipped, just a phone call from the local greyhound to tell me they arrived.

I had no major issues with fitment. Driver's side was easy...as soon as I set it in place (no holes drilled yet), it kind of popped into place behind the headlight and set nicely in all around. Pass side was a little trickier, but nothing out of the norm for fiberglass. I am no pro by far, but I had glass on my previous 4runner and have patched my share of small fiberglass boats...so a little experience. The outer surface of the fenders seems a little inconsistent, but nothing sanding can't fix.

Oh and +2TC LT is going on later this month!

IMG_0322.jpg IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

jeff b, Jrgymie and Dalandser like this.
  18. May 10, 2020 at 9:42 PM
    magneticwhite88

magneticwhite88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    What made you decide on +2 LT? I'm also running +2 mcneil's and just ordered a +3.5 dirt king kit

I feel like the +2 glass looks more like a luxury prerunner and the +4 is more race

19. May 11, 2020 at 4:32 AM
    Adventure4x4

Adventure4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD off road MT
    You'll probably have to adjust your bumps so the tire doesn't hit the top of the flare thus depriving you of jounce travel if running a +2 flare. +4 flare will ensure the tire will tuck under full compression. Dont quote me on this but that's my guess.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  20. May 11, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    magneticwhite88

magneticwhite88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    15' MGM Trd Off-Road
    I’m planning on trimming anyways but I’ll be running 33’s till I replace them so I couldn’t say for sure if 33’s will rub or not.

Adventure4x4[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top