1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Frame Rust Recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Whiteghost184, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Feb 19, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW, remember you have 12 years from your in-service date, so make sure to get it inspected at the dealership before that date.

2. Feb 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    gman88

gman88 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, I was concerned about the 12 years, however, since my 2003 truck was treated, it was no problem. In fact, they didn't even have to ask Toyota. I don't know if I just got lucky, but I'm not asking any questions.

3. Feb 19, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    onemanmoshpit

onemanmoshpit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB
    Yeah, I will actually be going to the dealer today and asking about it, will look it over myself some and then let them take it for inspection if it qualifies.

4. Feb 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    If they only treat the frame before the 12 years are up does that extend the warranty again for replacement later?

5. Feb 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM
    Markcal

Member:
    The class action settlement that was agreed to stipulates "legally" Toyota will only replace frames with a 10mm hole 12 years from the in-service date, but that is under Toyota's discretion and they may perform a goodwill replacement, but I wouldn't get my hope up IMO.

TireFire[QUOTED] and lynyrd3 like this.
  6. Feb 19, 2018 at 10:22 AM
    Markcal

Member:
    I think most of us would like a new frame, but some get lucky while others not so much. I just hope I can get 18 years out of my frame like I did with my 1988 Nissan truck that I didn't take care of half as much.

7. Feb 19, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Mine too

8. Feb 19, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Mine is worse than that and it passed :mad:

9. Feb 19, 2018 at 3:26 PM
    JohnWR

JohnWR Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Indigo Ink base Access Cab 2.7L 4X4
    That was a separate deal not even close to this one. When they sprayed first gen tacomas they got a 15 year from first use clause. When they did the first gen tundra's, sequoia's and the second gen tacoma they cut that out. As a tech we love doing those frames they were cake and payed 60 hours to the 40 we get payed this go around for a tacoma.

10. Feb 19, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    I got a pretty big update.
    I'll do a little recap first.

I dropped off my 2005 Tacoma ext cab, 4x4 at the dealership
    The next morning, the service advisor sent me this:

Cool. Frame is trashed on a 12 year old truck. Crazy...
    Anyway, I'm a curious young guy, so I had managed to stop by the dealership for one reason or another about every 2 weeks for the past 1.5 months.

From 1/4/18 (when they were done with the inspection) to 2/17/18, my truck was not moved from where it was parked after the frame inspection was done. It was left unlocked on the lot. Not so professional, but whatever.
    Last weekend (2/10/18) I drive by the dealership, and I see they got a a shipment of (5) frames in. Brand new, strapped on pallets.
    Here:
    [​IMG]
    (Picture was taken on 2/17/18, one week after I had seen the 5 come in, so they had used 2 frames).
    [​IMG]

Ok cool. Finally some progress. I saw 5 frames, and I counted 4 Tacomas in the parking lot. WHOO-HOO!!! ONE OF THEM HAS GOTTA BE FOR ME!!
    Having a rental car is nice, but going 6 weeks without your car gets kinda old.

I stopped by (2/17/18) a week after I saw the frames, and saw a lot of progress. There were only 3 of the 5 frames left, so they must be working on the trucks. And my truck was moved! It wasn't parked there anymore!! So it must be getting worked on RIGHT. NOW!!!!
    I was excited to see it taken part and take some pictures and document it here for you guys.

Then I look around and see this:
    [​IMG]
    2 old frames, discarded. Neither one is mine unfortunately.

It seems they all rust through in the same spot. Passenger side frame rail, front, right under the footwell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then the driver's side frame rail rusts next
    [​IMG]
    And the rear area, where Toyota got rid of the box frame (where the 1st gen Tacomas would ALWAYS rust first). They have done an C-channel style frame in the back, to help prevent salt and stuff from getting trapped in there I guess.
    The seams still rust and bulge.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

When I saw that the dealership had gotten a shipment of frames in, and mine was moved, I thought for sure that mine was currently being worked on, but I was wrong. I did some math, and it seems to me that they shuffled trucks around in the order that they will be worked on.
    There were 5 frames, and a total of 5 Tacomas parked in the lot right next to the new frames, and then they moved all the other trucks over to a different parking lot, I assume awaiting a 2nd shipment.

So...who knows, they may have my truck for another 6-7 weeks. Crazy.

11. Feb 19, 2018 at 7:35 PM
    Stonerok

Stonerok Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-road DCLB
    My truck failed on 3 January. They kept the truck and provided a rental truck. The new frame showed up Friday and they started this morning. Should have it back Thursday.

12. Feb 19, 2018 at 9:17 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    Thanks for doing such a thorough investigation of your frame replacement. I'm curious, has your Tacoma lived it's whole life in Washington, DC?

13. Feb 19, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    fast5speed

fast5speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Washington D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 5speed 4cyl 4x4 SR5
    Yup. Bought in Northern VA and had its registration renewed in NoVA every single year for the past 12 years.
    Also, there was no shortage of rusted out trucks at the dealership lol. So I don't think my truck is an anomaly, nor do I think people are taking rusted trucks from up north and selling them down here.
    Again, to recap, in the DC area, we get a serious snow (6in +) about once every 2-3 years, but we get frequent dustings where a ton of salt is unnecessarily thrown down.

14. Feb 19, 2018 at 9:45 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    I have never been to Washington, D.C., but what you described weather-wise is what I was thinking too. I wouldn't have thought they would be using a lot of salt like us in the rust belt. I had the same experience the last time I was at the dealership, but I saw the truck full of frames pulling into the dealership, but didn't see any old frames outside.

I don't see any other car company replacing 12-year-old frames for $15,000+ each, so at least Toyota is stepping up to the plate, even if it took a class action lawsuit to get them to extend it to 12 years, My opinion is that Toyota should do what they do for owners in Canada and 2001-04 owners and cover their frames for 15 years minimum.

15. Feb 21, 2018 at 9:17 PM
    gman88

gman88 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Pittsburgh

16. Feb 21, 2018 at 9:22 PM
    gman88

gman88 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Pittsburgh
    John, thanks for the clarification. For the 2003, I hope they install new leaf springs. I bought new shocks. They want to charge me over 600 dollars for new power steering lines. Seemed high. They priced front shocks over 600. I bought two from shock warehouse for under 200. They want 600 for gas tank cover that mechanic said I probably don't need. Anything else I should replace or ask about?

17. Feb 22, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    TireFire

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    This is warranty work. You should push back hard on paying anything at all. They need to do their job and if stuff breaks in the course of it Toyota needs to foot the bill because it's warranty work

18. Feb 22, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    JohnWR

JohnWR Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Indigo Ink base Access Cab 2.7L 4X4
    No problem. You will get new leaf springs, They cut leaf springs out of the second gen due to the E02 Recall we have already replaced all the springs or the E02 will be done at frame replacement. The power steering lines are very very expensive from toyota god knows why. If you look there are aftermarket line sets available from rock auto for both first and second gen trucks. As for changing shocks i don't charge labor for the rears as i am removing them anyways. for the fronts if you got new complete units i also don't ask for extra labor. if i have to swap springs on the front shocks i ask for just an hour. The gas tank skid is not really needed but i would make sure your gas tank straps are good. what i usually would recommend, power steering rack, lines, timing belt, parking brake bell cranks, shocks front and rear, parking brake pivot, extra brake lines not included with kit. It's hard to suggest something without seeing the truck i've done trucks that were so well maintained they needed nothing to trucks that even after frame replacement still were not fit for road use.

This is false frames are not a recall it's a CSP, Customer Support Program and sometimes i read this thread and get a laugh cause some people think toyota owes you something they don't. I work for toyota and i thankful toyota stands behind their product. When my 2004 chevy 2500 frame rotted out in 2010 GM told me to pound salt and beat it. How many wrangler owners have to weld patches into there frames because jeep does not have a such CSP for customers. Be thankful that toyota stood up and did something.

TRDSport10 and JLTIMM like this.
  19. Feb 22, 2018 at 4:50 PM
    TireFire

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    CSP who gives a sh*t... says warranty on my paperwork.
    Since you're here: what qualifies a frame for the coating treatment?

20. Feb 22, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    A frame that doesn't have a 10mm hole in certain areas of the frame and is in certain areas of the country like the rust belt, qualify for getting the CRC coating applied.

Products Discussed in

To Top