1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Frame Rust Recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Whiteghost184, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Jun 11, 2018 at 5:35 AM
    sgage

sgage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Red Tacoma SR5
    Yes, 6+12=18, so if your vehicle first entered service later in '06 it would certainly be covered. Only 4-6 weeks to get the new frame? I was told 10-12 weeks! I'm at week 6 and trying to be patient...

2. Jun 11, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    Strictlytoyz

Strictlytoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab
    Just heads up for you guys waiting on frames in Florida. It took about 2 1/2 months for my frame to show up after it failed inspection.

3. Jun 11, 2018 at 3:25 PM
    dborrer

dborrer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Dan
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x MT
    2018 new Frame (thank you Rust!), FJ T-case swap. SPC(LR) UCAs, Bilstein 5100s front - rear, OME 883 at 0, HeadStrongOffRoad 3 leaf progressive AAL, MESO custom 2nd gen (Red/White) LED dome & Ultimate Maps, Spyder Halo Projector w LEDs (which SUCK), Spyder LED tails
    Interestingly enough, my dealer called me today (approximately week 7 of the 4-6 expected) to say my new Frame has arrived..... so I'm about to drop my rig off and hope they don't try to hit me too hard with "suggested fixes"

Strictlytoyz[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 11, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    My dealer didn’t try to sell me anything extra.... they talked me out of things that I thought that I needed done.

5. Jun 11, 2018 at 8:01 PM
    Yotawv

Yotawv Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    My experience with the dealership was abit of a hassle. All and all I’m happy the guys here talked me into a new frame instead of the cutting welding and fixing i was about to endure trying to stay away from the dealership.
    First of all March this year i went in, had the inspection: failed like i knew it would after doing my yearly frame clean up and coating getting ready for spring. Yeah i found a couple holes around the front cab mount passenger side. So anyway it failed, they ordered my frame after long discussion. 2nd week of May my frame is in and ready to put on. Last week of May my truck is “done” they called it but when i arrive they forgot to put the add a leaf back in the new TSB leafs. So that hit on a friday i didn’t get a call back the truck was done til wednesday the next week because they sent the leafs out to be reshaped with new AALs because they crushed my old ones they took off. Plus side is they comp’d that free of charge.
    So i arrive again now to test drive before paying for the things i had fixed while apart. I’m looking over the truck and none of the wiring is hung back up. Shits hanging everywhere. Wiring against the headers. Wiring brackets not bolted back up and just dangling. I’m losing my mind, here we go my whole reason why i don’t take my stuff to dealers. Carelessness. I mean it took all of 5-10 min to see all of this.
    They fix that, next i drive my truck, buddy following me down the road. Trucks driving side ways down the road like i’m in a drift truck just crab walking. So i take it back tell them they take it in and say they’ll fix it. Next day i pick it up after work, they say they realigned it and it’s “fixed”. i drive it once again and no it’s not fixed. I take it back and say alignment is all fine and dandy but it’s tracking sideways down the road. It’s not inline with the rear like before. I take them out and show them if you look at the rear tire to the fender wells it’s a solid 2” difference. The rear axle is mounted crooked.
    So here it goes back to the shop, turns out they didn’t seat the leaf bolt onto the axle correctly and took a whopping 30 min to fix.
    Like I stated, I’m tickled I’ve got a new frame and all the extras with it but the 4 trips to the dealer and the obvious carelessness is always frustrating. They claim they assign one tech to the trucks and it’s non stop around the job until it’s done start to finish but you gotta question the guys when they make such obvious mistakes with little things. What about the major?? Time will tell. But check your trucks over when you get them back for sure.

6. Jun 12, 2018 at 4:14 AM
    dborrer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Dan
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 new Frame (thank you Rust!), FJ T-case swap. SPC(LR) UCAs, Bilstein 5100s front - rear, OME 883 at 0, HeadStrongOffRoad 3 leaf progressive AAL, MESO custom 2nd gen (Red/White) LED dome & Ultimate Maps, Spyder Halo Projector w LEDs (which SUCK), Spyder LED tails
    What dealer/ state are you in?

7. Jun 12, 2018 at 4:19 AM
    Yotawv

Yotawv Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    From West Virginia, dealership was C&C Dodge Toyota in Marietta, Oh.

dborrer[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jun 12, 2018 at 5:21 AM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Forks, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    O
    One problem with having a dedicated person for almost anything is hubris. They get so comfortable with what they are doing they dont double or triple check to make sure its done right and you end up with problems like this. You hear stories about brake pedals hitting the floor after a frame swap, people are lucky it hasnt caused an accident..

Yotawv[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 12, 2018 at 5:29 AM
    Yotawv

Yotawv Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    Dealership techs are just careless, it’s not theirs, it’s just a job. Ofcourse if it’s your own you pay attention to every detail. It’s nerve racking and almost steered me completely from having work done if it wasn’t for the guys on here talking me into it easing my mind.

Dennisi01[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jun 12, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    MountainMaker

MountainMaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB
    Does a frame replacement count?
    My truck got its frame replaced and I have have had it back over a week now. No problems yet! They swapped in 2017 off road suspension for me which rides great. Pretty happy I didnt have to pay out of pocket for anything.

11. Jun 12, 2018 at 7:48 AM
    Yotawv

Yotawv Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 silver DCSB
    A lot of shit
    Hell im positive my dealership would of charged for that. Anything they can make money off of, they did a couple things like changed the leaky timing cover gasket and shot me a 96$ an hour labor charge at 6 hours. :crapstorm:

12. Jun 12, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    VFL21

VFL21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner
    I just got my Tacoma inspected today and it failed. The service rep told me it’d be about 3 months until we could get it replaced. My truck has a rebuilt title though so are they just gonna call me back and tell me they can’t fix it? The court documents said that salvage titles are excluded but is there a distinction between salvage and rebuilt?

13. Jun 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    :eek: :annoyed:

Yotawv[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jun 12, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    dborrer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Dan
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    Nice Dan, from Fort Collins Co!

I went to Arapahoe HS in Littleton and graduated from CSU! Go Rams, Go Broncos and go Tacos!

Nazupag524 likes this.
  15. Jun 12, 2018 at 11:04 PM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TrdPro 6-speed manual
    Did you volunteer this information????...

16. Jun 13, 2018 at 12:13 AM
    VFL21

VFL21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner
    No, I didn’t even think about them not replacing the frame since I don’t have a clean title. I’ve been trying to search around and I think the warranty is void but they still honor recalls with a rebuilt title? I know they recently swapped my rear leaf springs for free and then they were gonna do my u joints but I had already swapped those anyway. Maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll be nice and swap the frame anyway

17. Jun 13, 2018 at 2:47 AM
    Dennisi01

Dennisi01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Forks, PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 4x4
    None
    How would they know the condition of your title?

Yotawv and dborrer like this.
  18. Jun 13, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    VFL21

VFL21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner
    Just got the call today and they aren’t gonna replace it. When they were going through the approval process the Carfax showed them it was a rebuilt title

19. Jun 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM
    MountainMaker

MountainMaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB
    Does a frame replacement count?
    Awww yeah! I grew up in Castle Rock! Go Broncos/Rams/Tacos!

dborrer[QUOTED] and Nazupag524 like this.
  20. Jun 13, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    That sucks

Dennisi01 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top