1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Frame Rust Recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Whiteghost184, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Jan 4, 2019 at 5:23 PM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    This is true at one time but.
    The dealers have found ways around this by notifying you before hand.
    My dealer is doing 10 frames a month. 1 man and 3 bays, I don’t believe they are going by the book!
    I called them out on this and they knew I knew!
    They had lots of new parts to put back on supplied by me and tech said he had time.
    I paid 400$ with like 130$ being labor. The rest was parts power steering lines, I had them in the cart but cheeped out.
    Owner made sure to tell me if I am unhappy in anyway to contact him personally! And I did they did the needle bearing for cheap.
    I love my taco!

2. Jan 4, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    I kept my truck went to dealer no appt! Asked frame guy to look at a missing weld I guess. He asked if this was my worst part it was he crawled under my truck in the parking lot and sticks a wrench to my missing weld takes a pic and says!
    We will call when frame comes in!

It would kill me to have my taco just sitting at the dealership going to shit. They don’t do anything with them until frame time and sitting isn’t good.

3. Jan 4, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    DLillest

DLillest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SBM DCSB 6MT 4x4
    Strange as this is a much different experience than with mine a few weeks ago up in Canada.

I got a call to bring it in as the frame was delivered. Dropped it off, had no discussions or anything. They called me a day and a half later saying it was ready. Again, no discussions when I picked it up.

Only thing is they called me the morning they were finishing up and offered to change my leaking shocks for less than cost with no labor charges.

Otherwise, I was in the dark the entire time, but they also didn't try and upsell me on anything. From what I've seen on here, each dealer is very different.

4. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    vertrx7

vertrx7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rolf
    I met with the initial service adviser and then the service manager. They both explained the process in detail and gave me the paper with all the parts that Toyota would be replacing, if it meets the conditions specified, which aren't all that difficult to meet.
    I post this since I see so much information being bantered around that may or may not be accurate. I wanted to get this out since the details are in writing in terms of replacement parts.

It is a large worry in terms of being overcharged or charged for parts that they should be replacing as part of the process. This writing gives me a start in terms of what and where I need to put my foot down on.

Shocks and springs are not on the list to be replaced. That much is clear.

DLillest likes this.
  5. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:08 PM
    2timetacoman

2timetacoman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    06 quad cab V6 4x4
    rear leaf springs for 05-10 tacos are on a different recall, you wont get them once your truck already has them. Some guys get them cause they havent been replaced yet. I don't know about you guys but I have got notices on most all the recalls; leaf springs, frame and update thru jan 31, 2019, throttle pedal and mats, and CRC, from Toyota Corp of America. Still looking for good , honest dealer in chicagoland dealer to do my frame though cause the settlement says " frame and related parts at no cost to the customer". Thats a quote right out of the settlement docs. Google ' Toyotaframesettlement, copy and print, and show to the dealer, preferably with these words highlighted. I hope it helps all of us.

6. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    timinNC

timinNC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tim
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma - super white
    flatbed and working on more
    I got my truck not to long ago and was in an accident shortly after and truck was totaled out. I bought it back and fixed it, if there was no frame damage in the accident would I still be eligible for a frame inspecting and possible replacement with a salvage title?

7. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    taco_rhyno

taco_rhyno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 Sport
    SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT - Brian Warner et al. v. Toyota Motor ...

www.toyotaframesettlement.com

Unfortunately Page 66 excludes salvage vehicles. You can always try.

The Frame Inspection and Replacement Program will provide prospective coverage for frame replacement in accordance with the Rust Perforation Standard and the Inspection Protocol. If warranted, the Frame Inspection and Replacement Program will provide a replacement of the frame and associated parts that are presented during the Frame Inspection and Replacement Program. The duration of prospective coverage will begin following the date of Final Order and Final Judgment and will be calculated by the longer of 12 years from the date that the Subject Vehicle is originally sold or leased or, if the Class Member has owned or leased the vehicle beyond 12 years from date of First Use, 1 year from the date of entry of the Final Order and Final Judgment. Salvaged vehicles and vehicles with flood-damaged titles are not eligible for this benefit.

timinNC likes this.
  8. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:38 PM
    taco_rhyno

taco_rhyno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 Sport
    If your truck is eligible for the frame replacement and your dealer is new to it (mine was) then it is well worth a read to be ready with specifics regarding what is covered and what is not.

9. Jan 5, 2019 at 3:59 AM
    cleats50

cleats50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2007 TRD
    air intake push bar running boards
    Where in the Chicago area have you been?

10. Jan 5, 2019 at 5:10 AM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    I just got my truck back on Thursday for the frame replacement. And it rides awesome. The steering is tight just a all better feel. It took about 4 weeks for the frame to come in and and six days to get it back not counting sunday and new year day. I have to say i was a little concerned about hidden charges when I picked it up but nope . The service manager said here’s your keys enjoy your new frame. I had mine done at liberty Toyota in Burlington nj

AgBase likes this.
  11. Jan 5, 2019 at 6:42 AM
    timinNC

Member:
    First Name:
    tim
    Vehicle:
    thanks.

12. Jan 7, 2019 at 1:24 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    That's promising...I am on week four of waiting (my truck is sitting at the dealership). I called last Friday, which was 3 weeks to the day of failing inspection, and my service writer had absolutely no idea of an ETA for the frame even shipping. I don't mind saving some miles on the truck, but I prefer it not just sit idle for months on end.

13. Jan 7, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    cleats50

cleats50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2007 TRD
    air intake push bar running boards
    I am in the same boat. I'm thinking of calling and asking if they at least start and move the trucks. Does that sound reasonable?

timinNC likes this.
  14. Jan 7, 2019 at 3:01 PM
    ClassicVW

ClassicVW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    North and South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR 4x2 2.7 DCSB MGM
    I think they're going to tell you its not necessary and their employees have better things to do with their time.

And then there'll be owners who complain that there's 3 extra miles on their truck.

15. Jan 7, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Not this guy...I've put nearly 2,000 miles on the loaner so far so I'm pretty content.

16. Jan 7, 2019 at 3:12 PM
    2timetacoman

2timetacoman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    06 quad cab V6 4x4
    I read of at least one guy here in tacoworld that the dealer let the owner come in whenever ( weekly maybe ) and start and drive his vehicle around the dealer property. I agree that lettin em sit is no good, not to mention what might happen to our trucks on the lot when nobody's watching. Last I heard, dealers don't want to take responsibility for anything. So your truck is at Naperville ?

17. Jan 7, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    ClassicVW

ClassicVW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    North and South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR 4x2 2.7 DCSB MGM
    Starting it up and only taking a short ride around the dealership is not going to help.

18. Jan 7, 2019 at 3:33 PM
    timinNC

Member:
    First Name:
    tim
    Vehicle:
    yes

19. Jan 7, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    friction

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Sounds more than reasonable to me.

20. Jan 7, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    sgage

sgage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2007 Red Tacoma SR5
    My truck was at the dealer for 2 1/2 months waiting for the new frame. I don't know what they might have done with regards to starting it periodically or moving it about. But when I got it back, there seemed to be no ill effects from that time.

KTM753 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top