1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota hit with $16M fine over recalls in US

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brettb, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    No...McDonalds doesn't own Wendy's and if they did own Wendy's then fined them keeping the money for themselves then you have a conflict of interest and an immoral judgement.....(I didn't mention our Govt owning GM but hmmmm doesn't it invite some questions---:D)

2. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    rsincavage85

rsincavage85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Plains Twp. Pa.
    Vehicle:
    Super White SR5
    Not sure how to get the quote in a post but,
    along the lines of what blackwidow2009 posted, I have seen something like this issue on Chrystler vehicles here at work. Issue was when certain radar systems were being operated the said vehicles would stall or start sputtering. Unofficially the systems were wrecking havoc on the vehicles computer modules.

3. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    The army had problems with electronic impulses when flying near High Intensity Radio Trans Areas (HIRTA) Supposedly some of our helicopters would experience uncommanded control inputs. (Translation---get ready for the ride of your life) For awhile we had to mark the HIRTA area's on our maps and either avoid them or reduce speed to fly thru them.

On another note (as an accident investigator) you will find 82%-85% of all aviation accidents are due to or contributed to some kind of human failure. Less than 7% are due to mechanical failure and the rest of the accidents are in the "act of God" column. I would venture a guess these same stats hold true for auto crashes. Don't know that for sure but I think it's a reasonable assumption. (NO I DID NOT SAY ASSUME)

4. Apr 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

Yes, you are right, people are dead and that sucks. I mean that more then you could know.

But I think the point that they were trying to make was that if this was the cause (eletromagnetic wave or the like), then toyota did not make a defective part. Combine that with the computer not sencing the maluntion (which is plausable if there is a wierd external infulence) and you can understand (at least I can) why Toyota did nothing right away.

I don't want to sound like a "company", but if I was someone trying to figure out what part was malunitioning and why, when the computer did not log it, I would be inclinded to think someone was claiming "something" to help explain away an accident. And if no accident happened, well then, the problem is more ligitamet, but where to start, ... if the computer did not log it.

Yes, Toyota did a great job with the rusty frame recalls, but that was very clear, Toyota was able to clearly see that there was a problem, and they quickly addressed it. So to me at least, I can see why there was a difference in the way they handled the two incodence.

Products Discussed in

To Top