1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota ignores the MUD FLAPS issue, CALL them.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mvega1969, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Mar 6, 2008 at 5:41 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    And I suppose 4wd is for smooth, dry asphalt? :laugh: And regardless of TRD vs non-TRD, if the TRD was supposed to be more capable (thus the locker, different suspension), then perhaps things like mud flaps should be designed accordingly.

Please..... :rolleyes: Even if 4wd is "just" for snow covered roads these stupid mud flaps would drag.

hmmmmm.... can't say as I've ever needed 4LO on the road either. Hell, it's never really helped in snow either. More momentum in 4Hi as gotten me out of more jams than 4LO regarding snow. But then again, those weren't "on road" situations.

2. Mar 6, 2008 at 6:34 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.

Come on mister Wilson, apparently you are not going to pay the almost $200+ USD that these mud flaps are "worth", if you like to replace by your own all of them this is the brand new price, probably you are wealthy enough to not take care for them, but I have an amount to pay in full to Toyota and that includes this piece of junk mud flaps and cutting them, replacing or uninstalling them is not the most cost effective solution, a call to their 800 number is a beginning. I do not joke around with $200+ on a truck of almost or above 30K.

3. Mar 6, 2008 at 7:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You'd rather see the engineers design a better mudflap? :rolleyes:

I'd rather see them spend their quality time on making the suspension better, work on the ECU programming (auto lurch), get the throttle-by-wire fine tuned for more sensitivity, and I know the manual transmission guys complain about the clutch. And how about they put a transmission dip stick in? Some hood struts... and the list goes on.

I personally could care less about the mud flaps. Even if someone stole mine, I'd probably never even notice they were gone. :D

4. Mar 6, 2008 at 7:31 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    You're right. I guess it's just one more thing they overlooked before dropping a $25-$30 price tag on it. It ranks up there with the non-illuminated 4wd switch. They designed and marketed a truck that could drive through anything, but you can't find the 4wd switch at night and the mud flaps get ripped off if you leave the pavement. :rolleyes:

Maybe they spent too much time on them? I mean, they ARE a 2-piece injection molded plastic part glued together at the seams. Seems like that would take more time to engineer and make than a simple thick rubber strip cut to shape. At least the rubber would've flexed over the bump I hit instead of being so stiff it ripped out the mounting holes.

Here's another thought floating around my head "I just paid $27,000 for this truck, and shit's falling off after 2 months. That ain't right." I bought a NEW truck so I wouldn't have to fix shit. Sure, I might change something and mod it to make it better, but none of that is required for the truck to run. Now I either deal with premature paint failure, or get a new set of flaps.

5. Mar 6, 2008 at 7:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I can agree with that!

I love the truck and (knock on wood), haven't had problems with mine. I still wouldn't dare buy something else. I still think the quality of these newer trucks aren't nearly as good as the older generations.

Sorry - OFF topic a bit. Don't wanna turn this into an overall 'quality' thread.

6. Mar 6, 2008 at 7:49 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Toyota is never going to be able to make everyone happy. I suspect that more people like them the way they are than dislike them. If you find them too long either cut them shorter or remove them. I know that tips on cutting them shorter have been discussed on here numerous times...

7. Mar 6, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    Can't believe I spent time reading this post.
    If you don't like the mud flaps, then take them off. If you feel you have to have them, and don't like the ones that come with the truck, then go after market and buy some.
    Why waste time writing Toyota, they will tell you the same thing. In reality, they could care less.
    Sorry if this offends anyone, but....................get a life.

8. Mar 6, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    No ofense, this a forum... there are a lot of answers rich in content and sense... and yours. :D

9. Mar 6, 2008 at 8:40 AM
    NVR_QUIT

NVR_QUIT My goodness, my Guinness!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd Christmas
    USA!!!!
    Vehicle:
    08' TRD Sport, 11' TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" lift...
    I called... I personally agree the FRONT mud-flaps are too lengthy. The back ones are alright and the stock tires seem to pick up quite a few pebbles. So I do believe in protecting that nice CE corvette behind you, but as for the FRONT flaps, too long!

Going over any sort of bump, they rub. Keep in mind people, that over time, if those front flaps keep hitting things they are going to start loosening things they are attached to. Could end up messing things up in the future!

I agree once again, the front flaps are too long.

10. Mar 6, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    lol I guess part of my problem is I worked in computer support. If I forgot 1 little thing while setting up a user's computer (no matter how small an item), then the job wasn't done. And that's how I feel about this truck sometimes. I waited 6 years to get one, fork over $600/month for 5 years, and there's a bunch of unfinished details I find after spending hard earned money. And waiting 6 years for them to "get it right". (Original DCs were too small, and no manual option.)

11. Mar 6, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    After three different automobiles bought in the past (Explorer '00, Corolla '03, Sienna '04) it was time to buy something different, something for ME and not thinking specifically on my family (at the end we all fit in it and go everywhere together almost all the time), the TACOMA '08 you can see all features included in my signature and you realize after all that small details are far from Toyota's named quality... even in this little tiny things you have to complain because after you warranty period... Toyota cleans its hands and there is no more "free" stuff and they are not cheap on them.

12. Mar 6, 2008 at 9:36 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    When I cracked the mud flaps on my 05 Pre-Runner the dealer repalced them under warrenty. I think the 06-08 mud flaps are even longer?

13. Mar 6, 2008 at 9:46 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Your irritated enough with the mudflaps on your vehicle to complain to Toyota, but not to remove or trim them?

14. Mar 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    No kidding. And you KNOW somebody will start bitching about the flaps being too short if they change 'em. :rolleyes:

Make a little cardboard template of the flap, trace where you want the bottoms and cut them with tin snips.

I did mine (3.5" off) in much, MUCH less time than it takes to read this silly thread. They look great.

Hell, it's a feature on your $30K truck. You can make them any length you want. :p

15. Mar 6, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Seriously, if you were close by, I'd GIVE you my mud flaps. I just don't think this is a big issue, that's all. There are other larger issues to be concerned with like the rear spring TSB, the "lurch", or the weak tailgate. My original post was intended to point out the irony: you're saying that you can't believe that nobody has complained but you complain to Toyota and find out you're the only one that has. Just not a big issue for the huge majority of us.

16. Mar 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM
    Big Guns

Big Guns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 4.0L Indigo Blue
    Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, Black Headlight Mod, DO Rock Sliders
    lol. This is a funny thread. Im with some of the guys here, just modify them. They will never be able to please everyone. If they shorten them, this thread will come back, but as too SHORT. I think you need to just move on. Relax guys, its just a little plastic. CUT IT!!!

17. Mar 6, 2008 at 10:33 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    I don't get it. How do you ignore something that doesn't exist?

18. Mar 7, 2008 at 1:17 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:

+1

I did this too based on the guidance here. No more Skaaarape.

19. Mar 7, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    x2:D

20. Mar 8, 2008 at 2:29 PM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    people like u drive me crazy. complaining about the mud flaps being too long are u kidding me? take em off or cut em. what do u want toyota to do thats how they designed it. there are going to be little things about any vehicle u don't like. if they were not so long i am sure there would be another person like yourself complaining "they are too short they don't protect my paint."
    its just ridiculous but keep complaing and maybe next time they redesign the tacoma it will be designed just to your liking. :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top