1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota investigator coming to look at my truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 225nontypical, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Apr 22, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.

This...They should not have problems with it because Toyota pays them anyways.

2. Apr 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Tell them the quad is broken if the investigator shows up. It's still pretty low to send someone to test it out

3. Apr 22, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    lwszabo

lwszabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR double cab
    toyota dark satin alloy wheel Tint OEM bed mat
    does my 2006 tacoma with 66,000 miles qualify? bought it used!!!

4. Apr 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Unless you have an extended factory warranty, no. I'll sell you my TSB set though :p

5. Apr 22, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    225nontypical

225nontypical [OP] ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    see first post for update, all tsb's will be done. that is some good news

6. Apr 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    But they expose themselves to two possible negitive issues to Corporate..

1. They HAVE to survey you after service and surveys carry a lot of weight.
    2. The get measured on the warranty work they DON'T bill Toyota for.

This is why I believe they hesitate when doing warranty work that may not be necessary, as opposed to a towed in unworking vehicle)this was clearly a case of "My warranty is expiring, better get some TSBs done just in case they affect me someday" That is not the purpose of them.

7. Apr 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    225, was it a PDX Metro dealership? I had my done at Royal Moore in Hillsboro. They sent the service manager out to look at it, then ordered the parts. The service "advisors" would not look at it, and even went so far as to say that some of the TSB's (tailgate) did not apply to my VIN.

I had very good luck at Beaverton Toyota. The service advisor looked up the TSB, and my VIN, and offered to take care of it should my dealer not want to.

Good luck.

8. Apr 22, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    Not so sure about this one. I had it done no questions asked, but never had a survey or anything after. Also I suspect they will be more suspicious of people who already have lifts. It would seem to me like these people want the additional height, as opposed to actually having a problem with bottoming out or poor ride quality. It may not be true but I can see them thinking that...

9. Apr 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    take it as you want and yes i worded it that way but to be very honest i have been trying to get the rear spring TSB done for a long time but kept getting told no, the steering has been driving me nuts but i just found out about the TSB. no it was not they might affect me, it was more of shit my warranty is about to be up and i need to figure out how to get these done because this truck is driving my nuts on logging roads and when loaded down.

no i took it south of Salem, and like i said it appears they are taking care of it, with no problems. they will get all my service work from now on.

10. Apr 22, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    RyanPont

RyanPont Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can I ask a dumb question, Ive read up on some of the TSB threads, What is TSB stand for?

11. Apr 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    Thucker

Thucker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag. Gray BC LB Sport 4x4
    I don't know where in Oregon you are, but Gladstone Toyota doesn't give me any hassle.

If you tell them there's a TSB for it, they'll look it up and do it for you. Had my leafspring done, no hassle. Going to get the 1st - 2nd gear hard upshift TSB done.

12. Apr 23, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport

technical service bulletin
    Identified common complaints for which toyota engineering has devised a fix for. This is not the same as a recall, and is done if your truck is under original warranty.

13. Apr 23, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    bigcoffinhunter

bigcoffinhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think it's quite obvious just from this threat that they all don't suck. Some dealers suck, some don't. It's been that way since cars were first being sold.

14. Apr 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport CC, LB
    King Racing reservoir shocks, Camburg UCA's, Deaver 10 leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Magnaflow exhaust.
    Sure the OP could find another dealer but why should he have to?
    If Toyota puts shitty parts on their trucks an issue a TSB there should be zero B.S. If a paying customer requests the TSB it should be done. Period!
    I really don't care about the dealer's hardships or costs for doing the work, people should get a truck that is capable for use as described in the specs. including payload and ride quality.
    Toyota better get it's act together on things like this.
    If any other auto maker comes out with a comparable quality truck, their market share will plummet.

15. Apr 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    This subject has been brought up over and over again, with some dealers doing it and others fighting you to do it. Especially considering the issues Toyota has gone thru recently, all you have to do is pull the "safety card" out. No screaming and fighting, just state as others have mentioned the harsh ride, but stress the potential safety concerns you have when you have any weight in the truck. Just tell them with less then half of the payload allowance in the bed, it seems very dangerous or unstable to drive, especially at highway speeds. Trust me, if you speak to the service manager about your safety concerns with the vehicle, he will tell the regional mgr the story and the parts will be ordered.

16. Apr 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The dealer here in town told me that corporate has to approve anything they do under warranty. In my case it was a clutch job, so there may be a dollar amount that triggers that. They didn't even drive my truck, they scheduled a day for me to drop it off and have their "regional rep" (technician) drive it. He drove it, heard the noise it was making and approved the work. I have no complaints how I was treated.

17. May 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I got approved for the TSB on the rear springs yesterday...brought it down on the way to work, drank coffee for an hour, and left with an approval and a promise to call next week when the parts came in.

Far easier and cheaper than rebuilting the springpack myself.

Howard

18. May 12, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    xpert1111

xpert1111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB Sport
    Passed by the dealer last night for a new owner/thank you for buying a toyota rah -rah event. I told them I wanted the harsh ride tsb done and he 1st thing the service mgr tells me is that I just can't come in requesting a tsb done. He tells me I need evidence and a mechanic needs to inspect it to see if a problem exists. I told him I put 4 bags of cement mix back there and I bottom out. He says they still have to inspct it. Im not getting a good feeling they will approve this. Anyone have the corporate number to call before they inspect it in 2 weeks?

19. May 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD

wait, re-calibrated? who and or how was it calibrated?

20. May 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    225nontypical

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad

maybe i should have said zeroed instead of re-calibrated. but the VSC (as i understand it) is controlled by a couple sensors (yaw and something else).

once you modify your truck those sensors need to be zeroed again. the dealer did this when i got my lift, and i have had it done twice more to try and make my truck not run me off the road on corners.

there is a way to do it on your own but i have not tried that yet.

Products Discussed in

To Top