1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

toyota just called and said my "ADD Motor" is bad on my front diff.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by forbins, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Dec 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    02 4DR Taco TDR Supercharged SR5 6in lift
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    I think that my add motor is bad as well. I bought a used one online, and it turns out that there are 2 different kinds. Electronic and Vacuum. I have an 02 which apparently is electronic, and the one that i bought is for a vacuum. I have heard on a forum on ttora that they are interchangable <http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188782> , but the vacuum and electric plug on them are different. how would you get them to be interchangable? I would rather get rid of the vacuum one that i bought and get an electronic one. Does anyone need a vacuum (from 00-older) add motor/actuator? Does anyone have a electronic (2001-2004) add motor?
    this post is kind of everywhere.. sorry.

2. Dec 17, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Not sure on interchange, but if you are looking to get rid of the one you bought try posting on the buy sell area. Probably have to be prepared to ship, but more people in the market for one may see it there rather than in this post.

Best of luck!

3. Dec 17, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    lhedrick

lhedrick Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    T100
    That is insane. There was never a valid reason to install vacuum and now electric actuators creating these ADD devices and automatic free hub systems. Total manual control is easy to understand and easy to fix. In fact I have had many and not 1 ever failed. I now have my first vacuum system on a T100 and,,,,,,,,,, it does not work properly. When cold it will not disengage. I have already installed free hubs on it and the next step is to remove the vacuum system and make it a 100 percent manual and reliable system. Lock it when needed, free it on dry road.

What ever happened to real trucks? AMC started all this crap with quadra-track and people fell for it.

I have heard of about 10 people who have had failures with the engagement motors for the ADD. 1000 dollars, that is not acceptable.

4. Dec 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    lhedrick

lhedrick Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    T100
    Of course he was up to no good. That's what dealer service and parts departments do. I have never had even 1 good experience with dealer service and the Toyota Dealer where I got my truck new will not lift a finger to help me unless they get 1000 dollars minimum. They have lost my business and don't seem to care.

5. Dec 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    "What ever happened to real trucks? AMC started all this crap with quadra-track and people fell for it."

I had a 1975 Jeep with QuadraTrac full time four wheel drive with a central differential (now called 'All Wheel Drive' by most car companies)... It worked great, so what was your beef with it? Mine had low range and a center differential locker.

6. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    Jkohler

Jkohler HUH?

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    UT
    Vehicle:
    02 4DR Taco TDR Supercharged SR5 6in lift
    12" Icon 2.5 coilovers, 6" Drop Bracket, Tuff Country 5" lift knuckles, Icon 4''-8'' Extended Coilovers, Light Racing upper control arms, 7" Alcan leafs, 13" icon 2.0 smooth bodies in the rear. 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow cats and Thrush muffler. 295x75x16 AT's (34.4") Superchargers Other shit like rear breather mod relocate, gray wire mod, intake elbow removed, led's, toolbox, etc
    Hey I know this thread is kinda old, but just wanted to say thanks for all the info! I was freakin out not knowing what was wrong with my 4wd not engaging/light not turning on. Bought a new actuator and vualah, she works :) cost me $367 after tax. Installed myself. I have my old ADD actuator if anyone wants to buy it to rebuild and use (same part# and everything as above threads) also, I have an actuator for 95-01 that is in perfect working order. It's a little different than the 02-04 ( found out after I bought it :/)
    Thanks again guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top