1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Matrix wrecked, no air bag deployment

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by BreezyTaco, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    My wife was in a car wreck and was front ended, it was a pretty bad little accident she is fine, but my thing is why did the air bag not deploy, and if this little car was going 5mph and hit by a dodge ram going 30mph and looked the way it did what happens if I'm on the freeway going 70+ and I get hit? I'm starting to lose a lot of faith in these Toyotas...on a side note before she left to work she asked if she could take the pickup:(

2. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    That sucks man, glad shes alright though.

what you could do is make this into a big deal, sue toyota, get national recognition, and maybe even get on the 6 o clock news.

3. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Photos would help. IIRC most of the airbag sensors are inertial now...so it might have jsut been the positioning/foprce of the accidnet. The airbag system has parameters to determine deploy or not...and this may have been in the not range??

Make sure you and/or the insurance company requests an inspection of the system...

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    It all depends on if the accelerometers trip, Ive seen some freakish accidents where the bags didnt go off. Glad your wife is ok though!

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Celtic

Celtic Tactical Trunk Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    McKinleyville, CA
    Vehicle:
    In the market for V6, 6MT 4X4
    Sold my 2006 V6 6MT AC Offroad like an idiot.
    First of all glad the wife is ok :)

Yep, I agree picts would be helpful. Being an ASE automotive tech, I have worked with airbag systems for almost 8 years now. Like Brunes said most airbag sensors are inertial, and it does depend on direction of force to set the sensors off. Sucks it happened and have to deal with insurance companies now. I am sure it looks much worse than you would expect, but you must remember today that cars are designed to absorb the energy of an accident, so they do crumple and squish pretty easily, but they do reach a point where it stops. The main thing to see is that the passenger compartment is intact and not deformed. Cars are designed with "safety cage" build into the design, so that in the even of an impact the car does two things, protects the occupants and absorbs energy of the collision. Important thing is car did its job and she is ok. Hope it all works out and you guys get a new car out of the deal. Bummer man. Keep us posted. Good luck!
    ~Nick

6. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    You said your wife is fine, had the airbags gone off she may have had some injuries from the bags themselves. The computer and sensors are very complex in the airbag system. My son was involved in several accidents where the bags did not deploy. I spoke with body shop managers and service managers and was advised the accident has to be pretty bad for the bags to deploy. I was told the computer has to decide if the injury is going to be worse from the accident or the airbag. The bags will only deploy to prevent serious injury. Very glad to hear your wife is fine, good luck.

7. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    First, I'm glad everyone is ok.

But in regards to this:

WHY, exactly? At what point did the vehicle not work as advertised?

Airbags are designed to deploy when appropriate. Not every wreck is appropriate. There is no reason to believe that the systems did not function correctly.

8. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    Thanks guys, I'm planning on the worst being my car is "totaled" and probably shying away from a Toyota gonna look at Nissan or Honda. I have just had a bad taste after this thing with them, and I just had my cars transmission oil/belts changed, but oh well, have to wait until monday for the inspector to check out the damage. If they can fix it my bumper was kind of messed up so should get a new one on a positive note.

9. Jun 3, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    It has been a multiple of things, when I bought the car 2 months later had to replace the battery, 13 months after buying had a fuel injection problem which toyota said the warranty did not cover because I didn't get the "PLATINUM" coverage, had to get new tires in December, and just had the transmission oil/belts changed, maybe these are normal things...but for sure buying a new car next time, and gonna explore other options, last time Toyota was my first and pretty much only choice, I love my truck just have bad luck with the car. I bought my car in March 08, its a 2004 Toyota Matrix XR

10. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

This is why you never buy used.

I have had my 2003 Matrix since bought new in 2002. 170500 and change on the clock. Only thing to EVER break: A catalytic converter went bad 3 months after purchase, was TSB'd/warrantied, nothing else has gone wrong. Just regular maintenance.

I'd chalk up the vast majority of your problems to poor care by the previous owner.

11. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    Dont think airbags would go off at that speed...

As mentioned before there is a speed lower threshold and a minimum g requirement, not impact force.

12. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD Sport, 4x4 doublemint cab
    Ome 885 coils Ome n9000 front shocks Ome n182 rear shocks K&n drop in filter Duratracs Kenwood kac 90210d Kicker 12" Alpine 800 watt 4 channel Pioneer 430w 6x9 Firestone ride rite air springs
    X2, sometime in the past i remember reading either in my honda or older car that for front end collisions you have to be over 25 mph, i could be wrong, it could be by manufacturer etc, she is alright, good to know, car did its job, how fast was she going?

EDIT: just read it again. 5mph.
    at that speed i dont think that they would go off....
    good luck in any route you go.

13. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Ok guys, a little update, the only thing off the car is the bumper and we are already up to 4k in damage, they said to plan on another 1500-2k worth of damage, my car might be worth $7000 or so, the frame is bent to hell, but they said they could fix it all in 10-15 days depending on Toyota parts shipping in. My wife had a mild case of whiplash, and back pain, plus some bruises on her knee and by her left shoulder from the seatbelt.

Products Discussed in

To Top