1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Navigation

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by VolcomTacoma, May 25, 2011.

1. May 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Hey guys, just got on TW yesterday. In the US Navy currently on deployment in the gulf, coming home in a month. I bought a brand new 2011 tacoma DB TX|Pro back in november, haven't really done anything to it, other than some volcom stickers on the back windows and a volcom trailer hitch filler. In case you hadn't noticed, i like volcom...

Long story short, I want to upgrade the in dash system to a full navigation system, that way i can hook up an Ipod and control it all from the steering wheel, whilst having the Ipod in the glove compartment, or at least out of the way. A sight and sound guy at a stereo place by my house recommended a few touch screens to me, but he also said i'd lose the already installed bluetooth and most steering wheel controls.

So, I'm thinking on going to the dealer and having them put their stock Navigation systen in my truck, If i remember correctly, its the one in highlander. but i'll keep all my steering wheel controls and bluetooth and have an ipod hook up and all that.

Has anyone done that? or have a solution to all of this? I'm not trying to spend a couple grand on this.

Thanks guys!

2. May 25, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Since you have bluetooth, do you have the JBL headunit with integral BlueTooth (BlueTooth button on the steering wheel), or the non-JBL headunit with Toyota add-on BluLogic unit (BlueTooth button in an aux switch location)?

The solutions can be different depending on the answer.

You could also investigate the use of the Toyota add-on iPod box/cable (allows iPod in the glove box) or the aftermarket boxes that do the same (Grom, Dice, iSimple, etc.). If you go for the add-on box, and for a 2011, you need to make sure whichever iPod adapter you buy is supported for the HU you have.

I'm not aware of any factory Nav unit that is a plug & play replacement - the HU faceplates are somewhat integral to the units themselves. I don't see a dealer taking this on, but I could be wrong, just never heard of it.

3. May 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Well,

I have the full JBL package, so it comes with the integrated Bluetooth, with the buttons on the steering wheel. Part of the reason i was also asking this is because I wanted a full touchscreen with navigation in it. I have an HTC Evo, with a giant screen and got a holder from Sprint to put it on the dash, but I do like my bells and whistles, and when I went to the dealer to ask them about it, they said its something like 1500$ for my model of Tacoma and it's basically the Nav unit out of the Highlander that they are putting in. I just wanted to see if anyone has done it or not.

Now, granted, i don't want to spend all that cash on a toyota brand, but at the same time, i don't want to void my warranty...and as far as I've seen, unless someone else knows what to do about this, if i do go with like...say...a pioneer Nav unit, is there some sort of adapter where i can integrate it into the steering wheel controls? It's kind of hard to actually do any sort of real research and talk to people at the moment, but when i get home next month i plan on grilling the dealer and any sight and sound stores i can find!

Thanks!

4. May 26, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    fishntaco

fishntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Mobile Al
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver Streak DCLB Prerunner Sport
    Yes there is an adapter that will allow you to use your factory steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit. There is one made by PAC and i believe there is one other brand, but i cant think of the name of it.

5. May 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    chris duby

chris duby This is where I write something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Premium
    6" Lift, 22x12 Xtreme Force XF8 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers...
    I just installed a JVC NT1 a few days ago and it came with navigation, bluetooth (with microphone) and steering wheel controls (extra $100). The only downfall with this one is that the ipod connection is in front, but the new JVC NT3 has it in the back so you can hide the ipod in the glove compartment. I don't like the dash kit it came with though so I would recommend going with a scosche kit as I will soon. After reading a little on here they seem to fit better.
    IMG_0784.jpg

6. May 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    The question I think the OP needs answered is do any of the aftermarket HUs work with the OEM BlueTooth controls on the steering wheel.

I just visited the PAC's product page, and it does not list Tacoma support after 2010. There are differences between 2010 and 2011 because of integrated SAT functions in the base model radio. I don't know what impact there is, if any, for JBL units. The PAC site also lists an iSimple BlueTooth interface, but states it won't work for anything other than an Apple iPhone.

To the OP, unless someone can confirm by owning, or having seen with their own eyes, I'd wait until you're stateside before spending $$$.

7. May 28, 2011 at 1:26 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks all, for the replies. lbridges, that is the plan, I'm not about to throw down a chunk of change until I've done alot more research into the matter, but that was my basic reason for the post, just to see if anyone had actually purchased through the dealer or knew a way to get the steering controls to work. I'll throw an update on here when I get home in a Month just for future reference, whether its worth it or not and the outcome.

8. May 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    I currently have an Eclipse AVN726e with Nav. I did not have the JBL Blutooth, but ordered the buttons from Toyota and they Blutooth buttons DO work with my Eclipse. They should all be the same, as it is only a ribbon cable that connect the blutooth buttons to the volume buttons for it to work. Good luck though, and thank you for serving!

9. May 29, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Depending on the head unit you buy, there are usually a steering wheel integration kit.
    I'm pretty sure that Pioneer has a steering wheel control module.
    Oh, and thanks for your Service!

Edit:
    Opps misssed the third paragraph. I'm not sure i have seen anybody use the high lander nav in a taco. Would be pretty cool though.

Products Discussed in

To Top