1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota now covering secondary air injection pump???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by abqnurse80, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Feb 25, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    Luis1

Luis1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    - OME 2.5 inch lift nitro charger with 886 coils in front and 2 inch lift OME nitro charger with heavy Dakar leaf pack - custom high clearance rear steel bumper with swing out made by Vertan Kustoms out of Alberta. Carts full size spare and 2 x 20L Jerry cans - Allpro Apex front bumper - Smittybilt 10000lbs winch w/ synthetic line - Dobinsons Snorkel - RA Motor sports roof rack and bed rack - 5 x 6inch Diode Dynamic light bars on roof - 2 x unknown brand ditch light pods - 5 x 285/70/17 BFG Ko2 - 5 x Black Rhino Stadium wheels - deep dish - 17x9.5 with - 18 offset - exhaust chop mod - rear seat delete - horrendous mpgs lol
    Hate to break it too you, but it's starting to affect the 13s now too..

2. Feb 26, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    Hankey

Hankey Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Still no recall that I've found. The mechanic I've been dealing with has reset it for me a couple of times and I've done the battery disconnect. It seems to come back on quicker though. He tried to get it done through warranty but no luck. He did source a replacement out of the states, (I'm in Canada as well - although on the border), sounds like it's a cheaper part through distributors there - Maybe a $3 - 400.00 part instead of $1,000.00+ from Toyota Canada. Should have it by Friday and he thinks he can get the work done pretty quickly.

3. Feb 26, 2020 at 7:21 AM
    Luis1

Luis1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, CA
    Vehicle:
    - OME 2.5 inch lift nitro charger with 886 coils in front and 2 inch lift OME nitro charger with heavy Dakar leaf pack - custom high clearance rear steel bumper with swing out made by Vertan Kustoms out of Alberta. Carts full size spare and 2 x 20L Jerry cans - Allpro Apex front bumper - Smittybilt 10000lbs winch w/ synthetic line - Dobinsons Snorkel - RA Motor sports roof rack and bed rack - 5 x 6inch Diode Dynamic light bars on roof - 2 x unknown brand ditch light pods - 5 x 285/70/17 BFG Ko2 - 5 x Black Rhino Stadium wheels - deep dish - 17x9.5 with - 18 offset - exhaust chop mod - rear seat delete - horrendous mpgs lol
    I didn't think they were 1000 in Canada, I have been hearing more around 700. Maybe you can grab one for me across the boarder and I'll EMT you the money lol

4. Mar 12, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    Hankey

Hankey Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Just an update. Part came in but when Mechanic pulled the old one out he found a stick inside that was stopping it from working. Cleaned the original all up and reinstalled and everything is good. Maybe the 2013's aren't going to fail like the the 2012's but they are a part that might need maintenance.

5. Mar 12, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    No its not. I've seen maybe 1 on here, and I'm not even positive.

Have any proof of this, probably not.

6. Mar 12, 2020 at 12:56 PM
    Luis1

Luis1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, CA
    Vehicle:
    Really gonna be that guy eh? And proof? How about mine is having issues. Same as others. Excessive carbon build up that is making it stick and malfunction. How about instead of the attitude, maybe realise that any of the second Gen's that have this useless emission control device, can go through the same problems that the 2012s are having, same with your 2013, and my 2013 and other people's 2013. My dad has a 2014 and he went through the same issue. Some people are just luckier then others, and don't get it.

Mully and BassAckwards like this.
  7. Mar 12, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    My '13 started having issues, so i deleted the SAI system- for off road use only of course

Markschexnayder likes this.
  8. Jun 20, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    Dingus

Dingus Well-Known Member

Member:
    West slope of the Sierra
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Exhaust/Supercharger/OME lift
    2015 v6 with 39k miles w/p2442. I called Toyota HQ and the local dealer (Auburn, Commiefornia) and no joy. Will not cover the repair/replacement. Oh and I have the Platinum warranty. Follow up. Spoke with Thompson's in Placerville. They advised when it throws the the code/CEL/limp mode, to have it towed to them....then maybe they can help. I think an HP Tuner will be my father's day gift to myself LOL.

9. Jul 3, 2020 at 12:13 AM
    Edtacoma

Edtacoma Member

Member:
    I'm on the hunt for the piece I took off and replaced with the k&n filter...I know it's around here somewhere! (Ripping basement apart looking for it)

10. Oct 5, 2020 at 5:52 PM
    PoweredBySoy

PoweredBySoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    2013 here. 80k miles with P2445 code. The other day it went into limp mode.

My friend and I were taking a look at it today - he checked the electrical and cleaned out the motor. When we put it back together it was firing off again during engine shutoff, but by the time I got home it stopped working again. It's been doing this for over a week now. Works sometimes - most the time it doesn't. We did have a little trouble trying to find the relay for it though.

Not sure....

11. Oct 29, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    I got a call from the dealer, they told me I need to bring it in for this very recall. Was there for 5 1/2 hours and then they gave me my truck back and said they have ordered the parts and will call me when they come in. I have a 2012 but never had any codes pop. I will let them replace whatever it needs, it's all covered, no cost, just my time. What a pile of shot system this is.

12. Nov 14, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    If you need the pump or valves PM me... I might have what you're looking for. Just deleted mine for off road use.

13. Aug 5, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    CutthroatSlam

CutthroatSlam Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Dealing with this for a 2nd time on a 2014 4Runner SR5 with 265K miles. Internet search brought me to this forum/post. I will offer my experience on this.

The upper part of the Secondary air injection valves are common for both 4Runners and Tacomas, only the mounting base differs. The Toyota manual trouble shooting starts with checking the wiring. I can tell you from experience that the harness plugs are crap. The thin wires are press fitted into the back of the plug and can easily pull out. Since these valves need to be removed in order to gain access to spark plugs, it had my fat hands in there and twice now I have had wires pull out of harness plugs. Generally once a wire pulls out, there is no permanent way to reinstall it into the back of the plug. The only permanent solution is to get a replacement plug, cut off the old plug and butt splice the replacement plug to the harness. I have done this on the sensor under the bank 2 valve on the 4Runner after the first spark plug replacement. On the second round spark plug replacement, I had a metal plate break inside the valve, so I replaced the entire valve. Was still getting an intermittent code P2443. Went and pulled the plug from the valve to check the wiring. There are 6 wires going into the back of the plug and this time the outer one closest to the firewall simply fell out. I was able to jam it back in, cleared the code and so far it has not returned. That said, first good off-road trip and I'm sure it will come back. I need to find a replacement wire harness plug for this. These harness plugs are weak and suspect.

Here's my original thread on the camp position sensor plug replacement:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  14. Nov 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    kiknbaer

kiknbaer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    none
    Had the TSB 0333-17 issue so I looked at some Toyota mail I got a year ago and found it will be covered for ten years after the truck was placed into service or 150,000 miles which ever comes first. Mine is 6 days past the time limit. Made an appointment with the local dealer for the issue and now hopping they will still cover it. My intention was to sell it or trade it in for a new one in a few days. The outcome of this issue might just change my mind.

15. Oct 12, 2022 at 12:05 PM
    hewitt-tech

hewitt-tech Dont Replace SAIS, Bypass It!

Member:
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kit
    If it is not covered under warranty I caution replacing the failure prone components. I strongly warn again using aftermarket part as well. Either of these options will only lead to future failure and more expense.
    The Secondary Air Injection is failure prone and you can spend all day reading horror stories of owners trying to address. That said, all those who run into this issue after warranty or not covered by recall I highly recommend the Bypass Kit. If you have any questions do not hesitate to reach out, DM or give us a call.

What Does the Secondary Air Injection System Do?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/what-does-the-secondary-air-injection-system-do.780847/

What Do My Secondary Air Injection Error Codes Mean?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/what-do-my-secondary-air-injection-error-codes-mean.780848/

How to Fix Secondary Air Injection System?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/how-do-you-fix-the-secondary-air-injection-system.780849/

Products Discussed in

To Top