1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota OE Red vs. Zerex Asian coolant

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Trapperr, Jan 12, 2016.

1. May 14, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Red is LL (Long Life). Pink is SLL (Super Long Life). Pink is the new red.

2. May 14, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    I just bought a gallon from Toyota. I think it was around $25.00. It is the pre-diluted pink though. I'm like you. It isn't cost prohibitive to just buy the right stuff from Toyota. With all the different formulations of anti-freeze these days I'd rather be safe than sorry. The days of one "good ol green" are long gone. There is no telling what these engines have inside them and what the factory coolant has in it to work with the materials inside their engines. For 5 or 10 bucks I can't see not getting the factory coolant but that's just me. It's not like Zerex is a poor quality coolant after all.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Rambo54 and dawgn86 like this.
  3. May 14, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    The other drain is a block drain. My 2.7 has one as well. It's a pain to get to but I loosen the block drain as well as, obviously, the radiator petcock when I change my coolant. You'll get more coolant out if you use the block drain. I suppose if you change you're coolant very regularly and it's always on the new side using the block drain wouldn't be necessary.

4. Aug 25, 2018 at 11:53 PM
    treyus30

treyus30 cntl-y

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Mesa / AJ, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '99 5VZ-TT 14PSI+
    Two spooly snails, Haltech 2500, 35s, 125kmi
    For those interested in a comprehensive tutorial on differences in automotive coolants, this article is a great read:
    https://www.machinerylubrication.com/read/841/coolant-fundamentals
    From OReilly's:
    https://images.oreillyauto.com/uploads/pdf/ad/SD_672 AFZ Comparison Chart-1.pdf

Contrary to popular belief, coolant's only job isn't just to make contact with your radiator. In fact, in many cases, it's its job to prevent direct contact with metal.

From someone with a good deal of trial and error with coolant loops in PC watercooling, I can tell you with conviction it is important to match certain ingredients in coolant loops with mixed materials.
    While the composition of a coolant can not be told by its color, for our vehicles, I believe valid options only come in forms of pink/red and blue. From the article, it seems imperative that we avoid any types with silicates (green, yellow, specifically) due to seal/gasket composition and premature breakdown. (I'm looking at you, water pump.)
    From Valvoline/Zerex: https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/antifreeze-education/engine-coolant

I've gone with Zerex Asian Formula in the past, and will continue to do so. If you are really anal about getting that Sodium Benzoate from the dealer for $10 more per gallon + inconvenience, then power to ya. The only acceptable time to put that old green or yellow stuff in your Taco is in emergency, and you should do a flush asap to avoid silicate deposits throughout the loop. It's just a shame we can't get concentrate - its so much cheaper to self-dilute.

5. Aug 26, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I will say its easier for new home mechanics to buy the 50/50 but I agree.

Products Discussed in

To Top