1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota of Santa Barbara gave me a secondhand radio, now I'm out of warranty

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by drjohnson36, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Dec 22, 2011 at 11:36 PM
    drjohnson36

drjohnson36 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    When my truck was at 35.5k miles, my stock head unit crapped out. I took it to toyota of Santa Barbara, and they replaced it. The "new" one seems to work ok so far.

Earlier today, I was having trouble pairing the Bluetooth with my phone, and I discovered that there were 4 other cellphones (not mine) still paired to it! There were some contacts saved too. No big deal, I just deleted the other paired phones.

But now I'm well over 36k miles... So if this second hand (possibly third) head unit craps out soon, am I gonna have to buy another?

I honestly don't care what happens, since this head unit seems to work alright so far, it just seems shady... Especially since I had to wait a week (sans radio) to take my truck back to the dealer while they waited for a "new one from the factory".

2. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    Oregon Territory
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    STOCK: DRL, Tow Package, All Weather Mats HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Color-matched Grille, Heated Wet Okoles, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails
    Sounds really shady... do you still have the invoice? Take it back and demand a NEW unit instead of a used one. Tell them you will be contacting Toyota USA and the warranty company if they dont make it right.

3. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:04 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
  4. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 42 Year Toyota Master/ASE Master Tech.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod
    The radios are reconditioned and sent back into the field. That's just the way it is. The only new radio you get it is off the line when new.

5. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:45 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    ^This, besides some think reconditioned is better than new, because of the bugs are now worked out.

6. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 42 Year Toyota Master/ASE Master Tech.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod
    Actually in most cases yes........

7. Dec 23, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    drjohnson36

drjohnson36 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner SR5 DC
    This is what I thought. I don't really care as long as the new unit works. Hearing the last guys contacts listed was extremely hilarious, one of em being "My love!"

Despite this, I will be calling Toyota of SB soon since they did promise a new factory unit. If this one takes a shit, I want there to be a paper trail.

8. Dec 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Replacement parts carry a one year warranty so your covered through toyota

9. Dec 23, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This is funny stuff!

But seriously, it does not surprise me that they are reconditioning radios. I do appliance repair and it's becoming more common to get rebuilt parts from manufacturers for warranty work. There is one company out of New Zealand that will not sell any new parts at all. The new stuff goes on the new appliances. Service work is rebuilt with exchange. I have had less trouble with the rebuilt stuff than I have with the brand new parts.

To Top