1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Off-Road: Are we really better?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by james, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    james

james [OP] In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    So I got to thinking: if other truck companies have similar discussion boards for their brand of truck as we do for Tacoma, what other things could be similar? Here's my question:

Are Toyota Tacomas (small lightweight trucks), are our trucks actually *better* at off-roading as other trucks we see and share the road with? Are we better than, say... a Nissan truck? A small Ford truck? A Jeep? Or... are we measuredly different and in what respect? Clever engineers work for a variety of different countries and don't come from a specific ethnicity: in my experience, excellent designers and engineers don't all work for just Toyota. So my question is, to what extent are our Tacomas any better or worse at doing the usual run-of-the-mill things that people put their trucks through???

...or are our trucks actually better than the comparable Nissans, Fords, Dodge's and the like?

2. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Yeti Hunter

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '04 V6 3.4 TRD
    Successful GB's: Bora Wheel Spacers 4/2014 WO Seat Covers 2/2014
    we carry a higher price tag :cool:

3. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Nope. It's IFS...so for being a baja/long traveled truck, potentially. When it comes to the rest, I'd have to say Jeep is the leader. I have experience with wheeling both and you really cannot beat having a solid front axle......Tacomas are really quite expensive....but you pay more and yes have a higher re-sale value....or you pay less for another truck and have a less re-sale value.

4. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD OR C/M 5.7l 4x4
    id rather be in my truck any day over any of the new jeeps.. now, an older cj, sure, but back then toyota pick ups had solid front axles too so.... idk, i think i might still pick the yota.

5. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    I've been plenty happy with my XJ and also like it a lot more than my old tacoma...much more capable and a complete upgrade for me IMO.

6. Jun 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Just out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, removable mothafuckin doors
    Come on, you and I both know you cannot compare a stock solid axle heep to a stock IFS taco. If you are doing straight crawling kind of wheeling then the heep will have the advantage.

However if we are comparing all pick ups across the board, then I believe yes. The Tacoma/Hilux is the top dog when it comes to the off road category. The Tacos have the most clearance, a perfect compact maneuverable size, best options, great suspension set up, amazing 4wd system, and proven and famous reliability and ruggedness. I could care less how much "better" a Cherokee off roads than my taco, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I'll take my taco any day. Now swap out that IFS with a similar solid axle and the taco will spank that Cherokee.

7. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM
    MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    Go out and see for your self . Just got back from a trip to ocotillo wells with a few toyotas and they did extremely well . Even In stock form with atrac and the factory locker they were mobbing all through 4x4 areas and doing well in mid speed desert running .

8. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    achirdo

achirdo First Class White Trash

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Yes Toyotaoff-road.com is better

9. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, removable mothafuckin doors
    not sure you fully grasped the idea of this thread bud

10. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    No. My XJ can and has taken me places your Tacoma wouldn't even be able dream of. I don't quite think you understand the way suspension works either...and the differences between IFS and SFA and what their uses of where they shine are. Also, I disagree about tacomas having maneuverability...my 99 sucked at turns and I found it extremely hard to even park at times because of that.

I thought the same damn thing when I read the title...lol Mentally, I said, "Ok, which one of those drunks ventured over here and made a thread"

But yes Adam, TOR is better.

11. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    Really connor, really? Are we pulling this shit out? " I don't quite think you understand the way suspension works either...and the differences between IFS and SFA and what their uses of where they shine are"

I'm also not trying to turn this into a pissing one upping match where you tell us all how much better your stupid jeep is than my truck.

I just said you can't compare a solid axle jeep to an IFS taco...meaning they are not on the same level. Like i said the jeep has the advantage. I'm not quite sure where that shows that I don't know how suspension works or how it is necessary for you to reaffirm that in the last month and a half you have owned the thing you taken your heep places my truck has never DREAMED of.

I'm also sorry you don't know how to park a mini truck, I have fit into compact car spaces in parking garages and usually make it in and out of parking spaces with one turn. I find no issue with the turning except when flipping a bitch in a neighborhood.

12. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    I think Tacos are better at doing everything well. You can daily drive it and wheel it on weekends. For full hardcore offroad use nothing beats a Jeep but I wouldn't want to live with one everyday unless it was a fully loaded Grand Cherokee. We are talking about factory vehicles here not something you or a shop can make.

The Toyota owners that think they own the best choice of vehicle on the planet are just fanboys.

13. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM
    cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    A comanche would make for a fun project.

Really.

14. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:44 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    really yes, i would like a rebuttal while I am still here

15. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    [​IMG]

16. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    For once, in a god dam blue moon, can we have a thread with a conversation without stupid shit like this popping up in it? No i'm not mad at all, and you posting that stupid picture adds nothing of value to this thread other than to give you a little smirk and give you the illusion that lets you think that you are clever and have just done something really funny.

17. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

^^^^You really should because you are clearly a mad fanboy.

18. Jun 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    :rolleyes: yes. clearly I am a mad fan boy. Go ahead and call me whatever you please. But believe me I have no unwarranted notions on the ability of my truck.

19. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    The last time I offered someone a cookie I got banned so here is a slice of banana cream pie for you and your truck.

[​IMG]

Ok 2 slices:

[​IMG]

20. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    Christ it's like arguing with a child. Whatever. I'll take my pie and be along my way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top