1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Owners are being asked about new engine possibilities

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ga tacoguy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    Good News for the future, Toyota has finally got their head out of the clouds and have started asking owners of new Tacomas about what a future owner would want in engines. I own a 12, and have done a few of these questionnaires about all types of options for future Toyotas. They have finally asked questions about wanting new technologies in the future Tacomas. All types were discussed with diesel questions being asked with regards' to price and towing capabilities. Both V-6 and 4 cylinder diesels were discussed along with CNG, Hybrid and Direst Injection engines. Maybe someone has been hearing the cries of the Tacoma World and are now trying to make a New and Better Tacoma for us.

2. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Did you get your precious photos ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Hybrid diesel / electric ?

3. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    While it was not specifically given as a choice, it may become an option in future questionnaires. Toyota seems to be asking for responses from owners and may consider if enough of a response comes from the public.

4. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Interesting

5. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    totmacher

totmacher Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN (memphis mostly)
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab TRD Sport
    BHLM, Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, Hoen all weather fog bulbs, window tint, LED interior lights (cupholder & floor), exterior LED courtesy lights. OME/Dakar lift. 50W reverse lights. Painted wheels.
    warp core drive!!

Seriously though, I'd be in for an efficient diesel.

Never a hybrid though. I consider hybrids a half-a$$ technology that's overly complex, overpriced, and has negligible benefit.

6. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    peiscooter

peiscooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Prince Edward Island
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCab TRD Sport
    You gotta wonder, though, how a company can sell a zillion diesel pickups over the years outside of North America and not offer one here

7. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Niceville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4cyl 4x4
    Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake Pioneer Appradio 2
    Not to mention they are way to quiet. I almost got trucked by a pryus because it came up from behind me while walking in a parking lot and I couldnt hear it.

Edit Spelling fixes

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  8. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    way too quite what ?

9. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Except generating power from braking , saving fuel and having great torque

10. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    A diesel should be an option but it is time for a turbo 4 cylinder and direct injection across the board.

11. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    Ga tacoguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    The questionnaire did have a spot for person observations about what a Owner would want in a Tacoma. I did respond with bringing in a diesel and bringing in the Hilux also, along with doing away with the electric control of the 4x4 system and return to a lever operation and to offer a V-6 single cab. We will see if they really read it or not.

12. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    Fifthwind

Fifthwind Master of None

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Scully
    Barcelona Red 09 DCOR- Icon 2.5" ECOs w/CDC - 14" 700lb, Bilstein 5100 Ext, Toytec 2" AAL, Toytec Diff Wedge, Toytec Diff and Skid Drop, Discoverer S/T 255/85/16, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, ARB Bull/winch Bumper, Warn 8k winch, ARB CMK12, Budbuilt full skids, BAMF bolt on sliders with filler & kickout @ zero angle, BAMF rear diff diaper, bedlights, hoodlights, BAMF CB antenna mount, etc.
    Yikes!!! Again??? Look up cetane number, and understand that the US diesel supply does not regulate this well AT ALL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number

Second, the only reason that AUDI makes a diesel is that the block is aluminum, and not steel, and that there are two auxiliary tanks to address the cetane issue. Oh and the price starts at $46K for what is basically a VW.

Third, combine a steel block and or auxiliary tanks of things like Urea to have an efficient diesel in the US market and you add $10K to the price of a Tacoma.

13. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    CreepyTm

CreepyTm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Bug Out Battle Truck
    Line-X'ed CBI Rock Sliders, Avid Light Bar, Flowmaster 10 series, Painted Grill and bumper, OKLED 20, 5100's with TSB and AAL, Bed mounted M240G
    Diesel, minus the urea tank....But alas I dream on....

14. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    CJW

CJW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Dallas area Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB OME Lift
    OME 3 Inch Lift, Dakar Leaf packs, Method Double standards, Procomp Xtreme AT2, 2 NVX VSW10 Subs, NVX Component speakers, MB Quart 1100 Amp and an NVX 400w amp, Kenwood Double Din Headunit, Bed lights, misc. Paint
    Even though i love a good v-6, SOMETIMES i wish they came in a v-8, just for those who really have a lot to haul. Is that just me?????

15. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    Joe D

Joe D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Oxford, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Nautical Blue 4Runner Limited 4x4 Model 8668
    Neat. I hope I get to take a survey on future Tacoma offerings. OP, did I miss it? How did you come across the survey?

I'm not overly interested in using a petrol/electric engine but, I'd be interested in seeing the advantages offered with a DI V6 or diesel option.

16. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Mazda is developing a diesel without urea and Toyota uses them Europe without urea so maybe they could find a way around

17. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    TRD12

TRD12 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6M V6
    Tow package, front skid plate, bed extender, weathertech licence plate frames, weathertech interior mats
    I just took this survey and here is what they were asking:

Toyota Owners Intersection

Thank you for your interest in this study and for your continued participation in the Toyota Owners' Intersection.

In this survey, we'll be asking for your opinions about various engines that could one day power your future truck. We would be very grateful if you could take a few minutes to tell us your thoughts by clicking on the link below:
    <link>

This study includes vehicle images. To see these images in detail, we recommend that you take this survey on a computer or tablet, not on a smart phone.

Please note that this survey will be open through 11:59pm Pacific on Thursday, November 21st, 2013.

Thank you again for your time and thoughts. They are both very much appreciated.

The Toyota Owners' Intersection Team

+++

Welcome back to The Toyota Owners' Intersection!

This study will ask you to think about various engines that could potentially power your future truck.

[Note: I was first asked about the spec's of my vehicle and how often and how satisfied I was with its towing capacity]

In the next section, we’d like you to imagine that you are shopping for a midsize truck to replace your Tacoma, and you are trying to decide which type of engine to buy.

You can either get a base 4-cylinder gasoline engine, or an OPTIONAL engine with different:

• Engine type: diesel, hybrid or gasoline
    • MPG
    • Engine size
    • Towing capacity
    • 0-60 acceleration
    • Added cost over the base engine

On the following screens, you will see different engine options - simply choose the one you like best.

[​IMG]

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding different engine configurations. Your opinions will have an impact on the trucks that Toyota builds in the future. Thank you for your participation!

18. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    More MPG from the 1GR or a diesel option.

19. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    Bed Brackets, tailgate cap, side rails.
    So if they haven't even decided on engines yet, say good bye to a 2015 redesign.

20. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    redesign 2017

To Top