1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Prices Tundra Pickup Above Rivals

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by TheMaster, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Feb 20, 2007 at 8:42 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    RANT!?! :rant: No one rants on here! :rolleyes:

I personally don't want to see anyone lose their job, but my past vehicle experience has driven me away from 'American motors'.

1986 Ford Ranger V6 2WD Manual: I got to drive this truck a ton as it was one of my father's companie's service trucks. We bought it brand new, and put 3 new engines in it over the course of 7 years before it ended up being totaled and putting one of my dad's employees in the hospital (he got rear ended and pushed into a car ahead of him).

1991 Pontiac Sunbird 4cyl Automatic: This was my car after some one stole my 89' Honda Accord (we were waiting on an insurance check). This vehicle caught fire when a fuel line wiggled loose on it's own. Then, a month later the bearings failed on the tensioner pully. The resulting debris scatter put a hole in the radiator. Sold with 45,000 miles on it.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 4x4: Purchased with 10,000 miles on it. I got to drive it a total of 3,200 miles. On a trip to the Four Corners area, the transmission started giving us terrible problems. It spent 4 months in shop in NM (remember, I live/work in Houston - 1800 miles away). The dealership in NM and the dealership in TX that sold it to me could not figure out what was wrong with it. I traded it to get my wife's 06 Rav4 V6 Sport.

OF COURSE there is always the exception to the rule...

1994 Chevrolet Suburban V8 Auto 2WD: My parents bought this vehicle as I was learning how to drive. It got passed back and forth between my parents and I. I purchased it from them in college. Together, we put 228,000 miles on it. My poor Suburban died saving my life. I was rear end by a 1982 Toyota Hilux pickup. He was doing 65, and I was at a dead stop. The Suburban could have been fixed, but because of the excessive mileage the insurance company totaled it.

Aside from my Suburban, I will not look fondly upon my experience with 'American Motors'. I have loved Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, and Volkswagens (and to a lesser extent - my 1986 Mazda RX-7) for years.

I just hope that the big 3 remove head from rectum and give America real vehicles - soon. Otherwise there will be no more real American Motors. :(

2. Feb 20, 2007 at 8:43 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I agree completely!

3. Feb 20, 2007 at 12:09 PM
    Skies20

Skies20 small town girl

Member:
    Morris, Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2007 Acc. Cab SR5 V6 4x4--Black
    Westin chrome step bars Vent visors & bug guard Borla performance exhaust system Tundra tires & rims
    Yes, I totally agree. Consumers are starting to wise up!

4. Feb 21, 2007 at 7:24 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    I really tried to stay loyal to Dodge, heck read my handle here backwards. I did a lot of research and look what I came up with. For me its was economics pure and simple. The big 3 are going through what the farmers, inurance companies, ship builders, airlines, ect. have all gone through at some point in time. Whether it was of their own doing or not. I do not wish them to fail, I hope they get back on track.

5. Feb 21, 2007 at 9:36 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I hope so too. If the Big 3 fail, it would be a serious blow to the US economy, not just from all the lost jobs, but the economic and industrial might of America would be severly tainted. I read that Daimler Chrysler is looking to sell off Chrysler, and it might be bought up by the Koreans or Chinese. England's automotive industry is all but non-existent these days, and it hurt their economy. I just hope the Big 3 start to wise up and build a viable range of vehicles, stop asking for govenrment bailouts and start compete in the capitalist market that they so often promote.

6. Jul 5, 2007 at 12:28 PM
    COL. Daniel A. Ness

COL. Daniel A. Ness Active Member

Member:
    Actually. i got every pennies worth out of the `74 Power Wagon and still use what`s left of it on the farm. They just do not make them anymore.
    Those suckers are tough and the feds bought millions. You will never lack for parts.
    But they are utility and I am old.

7. Jul 5, 2007 at 1:10 PM
    1ToughTaco

1ToughTaco Member

Member:
    The Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4.0L/V6
    Toyota Bed Extender, Roof Rack, Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Window Tint, Husky Front and Rear Floor Liner, Cabela's TrailGear Seat Covers

Well said, your statement is sure to be agreed on by others who have been shafted by the big 3. My personal view is for the continued success of toyota and in the renewal of customer care and gratification by the detroit car mongers.

8. Jul 6, 2007 at 4:50 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey Col. what branch?

9. Jul 15, 2007 at 5:30 AM
    COL. Daniel A. Ness

COL. Daniel A. Ness Active Member

Member:

Crossed Rifles.

10. Aug 10, 2007 at 8:35 AM
    Snickrz

Snickrz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gabby Johnson's right about Howard Johnson being right! This strong discussion is perhaps above my paygrade, but here is my $0.02.

I have had 10 cars in my lifetime. 2 Honda's, 3 Toyota's, 2 Jeeps, 1 Audi, and 2 Fords. Out of all of those cars/trucks/suv's the Honda's and Toyota's have given me little to no problems. A clutch here or there, a new belt, some tires, but always something routine for the age of the vehicle. Both of my Jeeps (one of which I still own) needed/need parts all the time. Perhaps that is because of age, but mostly because they are Jeeps. The same goes for the Fords. The truck was a complete piece that I ended up selling to a friend who LOVES Fords! The Mustang I purchased with 20,000 miles on it and the first summer it constantly overheated. Ford told me that was a problem with those models and I needed to replace the radiator. Not Ford, me! I pleaded my case and even got it reviewed by an independent panel Ford brings in to review warranty claims not honored by the dealers. I lost! There reasoning is that it was a problem only effecting southern cars and was not a widespread issue that warranted a recall only a TSB.

As much as I like some of the models that the Big 3 produce, I just can't talk myself into buying another one. Toyota is my brand, so they better keep making cars, trucks, and SUV's I like.

11. Aug 10, 2007 at 9:57 AM
    isusww

isusww Well-Known Member

Member:
    A Tacoma is a Mid-Sized truck. It will never replace an F-150, Silverado, Sierra, Ram or Titan. Being said, I don't feel a Ranger, Colorado, Canyon or Dakota compare. Of course its personal opinion, but I feel I got the best value without spending 30k +. Not sure what a "real" truck is, but I feel I have one in my Tacoma :D

12. Aug 10, 2007 at 10:03 AM
    Bfmco7

Bfmco7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow this thread blew up.. Thing is Toyota isnt going to take over anything when it comes to full size trucks and diesels!! The big three have been making full size trucks and diesels for so many years. Their trucks are proven, they last, and they are dependable. Toyota is a family vehicle/luxury vehicle. If people want full size trucks that dam* sure dont look toward Toyota. The cummins is a real hard engine to compete with. Its going to take years of work to compete with these three... besides, toyota dsoesnt make a 3/4 or 1 ton truck yet. Hell, just a few years ago did they come out with full size trucks. It will be years before you see Toyota compete in the REAL full size truck market.

13. Aug 11, 2007 at 8:00 AM
    ghostsix

ghostsix Well-Known Member

Member:
    A WI farm, Sonora, Sedona, Lake Havesue and Canyon
    Vehicle:
    Impluse Red 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-road 4x4
    A Roo Bar comes to mind. I also protected the tail lamps. It is a farm and you back over stuff; Willows mostly. All of the factory options are on it. The dealership owner bought it for himself.He put a topper on it and pricey tyres. The Power Wagon does the heavy lifting.
    I have a 1 Ton 1962 GMC that I am willing to replace the rear main seal on.
    They don`t build them like that anymore.
    To be fair the Tundra has had three 500,000 + recalls that I have heard of.
    I almost bought one,
    The Taco has had no problems that I ,or Consumer Reports are aware of.
    Yes it is not a 1/2 ton. But when is the last time you put three scoops of sand in your PU and twisted the drive shaft?

14. Aug 14, 2007 at 7:55 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    In my opinion the Tundra is highly over-rated. My good friend just bought one, and i really like it, but its not worth the money and i think it got pushed out too fast resulting in alot of problems. I think Toyota is on the right path but they need to make some changes. Someone on one of the other threads mentioned that Toyota thinks their sh*t don't stink and he has a good point. People will pay more for a quality product but to compete with other full size trucks they need to be competitive with price too. Hopefully toyota will get there soon..... and start offering diesels in their trucks :)

15. Aug 14, 2007 at 8:41 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    :amen:
    AMEN, Rev. Couch!!! :D

16. Mar 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM
    bradb

bradb tidy taco

Member:
    Newfoundland, canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma dcab sport 4X4 speedway blue
    Hunter grill guard, leveling kit, tonneau cover, roof rack, oem running boards, hella 500's, hood deflector,window visors
    OMG,
    What a discussion. I owned 3 yes 3 Chev astro AWD vans, Chev S-10 4X4, Dodge Dakota Clubcab 4X4, and all except the Dodge cost me a fortune to keep on the road. Finally got some sense. My first Toyota was a 1984 4X4 pick-up, along came kids, so went truck. Purchased a new 2005 Tacoma d-cab 4x4. What a pleasure, purchased in CANADA at my local dealer.(jobs) My main squeeze has had 3 hondas now drives a Subaru Legacy Touring. Bye Bye chev!

17. Apr 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    Tacomaurciio

Tacomaurciio Fresh Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Mauricio
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 PreRunner
    two thumbs up dude! I'm with you all the way and f#$@ them when they can't take someone's opinion and if they consider themselves poor too bad they must have a low self esteem.

18. Apr 29, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    paulcleston

paulcleston Active Member

Member:
    Thought this tread died long ago. Since my last entry I purchased a new 2008 F-150 Q-Cab Lariat with 5.4 Tritan engine all leather, Temp control 6 cd changer serious radio, 19 inch rims, ARE hard cover for the bed, tow package and more. Could not be happier.

19. Apr 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    paulcleston

paulcleston Active Member

Member:
    Would not fit in last post. The only thing that scares me is to look in mirror and see a Toyota. Don't know if it will run away and ram me or the brakes won't hold at the next stop and damage my Truck.

20. Apr 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    Wow! A new member revives a two-year-old thread and it gets a response from a long-time member who hasn't posted for 1.5 years. :confused: Is very powerful the Tacoma World reach young Skywalker.

Products Discussed in

To Top